[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,718 of 3,635
Can I use btr5 as DAC using rca-jack cable + headphones amplifier like Topping E30/A50 with Sundara/LCD 2C/GL2000 ?

Will I have bad sound quality and insufficient power ? I mean some limitations instead using dedicated dac+amplifier.

So far I have this info:

BTR5 can apparently provide a max of 1.6 volts rms, possibly slightly more into the Atom's 3.5mm or RCA input sockets. [From its 2.5mm balanced output, it can provide a max of 2.77Vrms.

Oct 21, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,720 of 3,635
If you love MQA, but also love Bluetooth and want a freeing solution to listen to your favorite IEMs, FiiO designed something new, or rather made their BTR5 Receiver even better this time!

They made a 2021 variant of their popular BTR5, added MQA support, and upgraded the DAC chip, and now, after some serious testing, I can say for sure that if you listen to LDAC and enforce it to play in the proper resolution, you shouldn't hear any differences between LDAC and RedBook FLAC files or CDs :)

At least, this is how it looks like when comparing the DAC mode vs the LDAC mode of the new BTR5. I made many more remarks and personal notes in today's full written review about the sequel to the most popular Bluetooth Receiver, the new FiiO BTR5 2021!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/fiio-btr5-2021-mqa-freedom-at-the-end.html

FiiO-BTR-5-BTR5-Bluetooth-Receiver-aptX-LDAC-2-Mark-2-II-BTR52-BTR5MKII-Flac-USB-DAC-Review-Au...jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #2,721 of 3,635
If you love MQA, but also love Bluetooth and want a freeing solution to listen to your favorite IEMs, FiiO designed something new, or rather made their BTR5 Receiver even better this time!

They made a 2021 variant of their popular BTR5, added MQA support, and upgraded the DAC chip, and now, after some serious testing, I can say for sure that if you listen to LDAC and enforce it to play in the proper resolution, you shouldn't hear any differences between LDAC and RedBook FLAC files or CDs :)

At least, this is how it looks like when comparing the DAC mode vs the LDAC mode of the new BTR5. I made many more remarks and personal notes in today's full written review about the sequel to the most popular Bluetooth Receiver, the new FiiO BTR5 2021!!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/10/fiio-btr5-2021-mqa-freedom-at-the-end.html

FiiO-BTR-5-BTR5-Bluetooth-Receiver-aptX-LDAC-2-Mark-2-II-BTR52-BTR5MKII-Flac-USB-DAC-Review-Au...jpg
Really nice review! I really like the BTR5 form factor (I have the original), but I will wait to upgrade until FiiO has support for EQ over LDAC, and they have improved the sub-par Bluetooth range.

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,722 of 3,635
Really nice review! I really like the BTR5 form factor (I have the original), but I will wait to upgrade until FiiO has support for EQ over LDAC, and they have improved the sub-par Bluetooth range.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Oh, I woudl wish for EQ on LDAC too, that would be really useful! I had to revert to aptX because there was no way to test the EQ over LDAC, can feel you there.

Bluetooth range seems decent on the 2021 BTR5, not sure if it changed much from the original, but I have been ok. Do you have a metallic case for your phone? That tends to be problematic usually, also some glass screen protectors did dampen BT range for me in the past

Oct 21, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,723 of 3,635
Thank you for your kind words! :)

Oh, I woudl wish for EQ on LDAC too, that would be really useful! I had to revert to aptX because there was no way to test the EQ over LDAC, can feel you there.

Bluetooth range seems decent on the 2021 BTR5, not sure if it changed much from the original, but I have been ok. Do you have a metallic case for your phone? That tends to be problematic usually, also some glass screen protectors did dampen BT range for me in the past
Thank you for taking the time to reply! :) I only have a silicone case for my phone, so I don’t think that it is contributing to poor range. I find (from memory) that the Qudelix 5K has much better range, but I will have to goback to these two and test it!

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #2,724 of 3,635
Can you connect the BTR5 2021 to an iPhone 12 for a wired connection. Also is this unit a renderer or decoder of MQA.
Dear friend,
1. Yes.
Users of BTR5 2021 Standard Edition: please buy an extra Lightning to Type-C cable.
Users of BTR5 2021 Apple Edition: there is a Lightning to Type-C cable included in the accessory.
2. MQA render support.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #2,726 of 3,635
I received mine recently. Initial impressions: unit is well built. Can't comment on sound quality as I'm not an audiophile as I bought it to use with my recently bought Shure Aoinic 5s in Bluetooth mode with my iPhone and it ticks the box. Sound quality seems to be on par with 'wired without BTR5' setup.

Issues so far:
Suppled USB C to USB C cable's two ends seem to be thicker than standard USB C cables as I found it very stiff while plugging into Macbook and I'm pretty sure that cable will damage USB C ports on my devices so I won't use it again. I'm sure the other supplied USB cable will also be the same. Standard USB C cables work fine and thats more than sufficient for my needs. Likewise 3.5mm jack on the device also feels stuff which is a bit wierd. Ordered its leather case which I'll never use as it's supplied clip is very good for the need and it doesn't look too bad. Another annoying thing is using volume button setting to skip tracks is a very bad implementation which I dont think poduct team bothered to think through. If a firmware update with app update can fix it, it wil be good. Plus there is a noticeable lag (lipsync issue) while watching Youtube videos.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #2,729 of 3,635
Is this updated FiiO BTR5 2021 a good match for the Beyerdynamic DT 177X GO from DROP/MASSDROP? Or, am I better off with some other option?
FWIW, I use Windows laptops and, Android-based tablets and phone. I don't see an iPhone in my future but I occasionly use an Apple iPad.

Should be fairly good.

Oct 23, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,730 of 3,635
I received mine recently. Initial impressions: unit is well built. Can't comment on sound quality as I'm not an audiophile as I bought it to use with my recently bought Shure Aoinic 5s in Bluetooth mode with my iPhone and it ticks the box. Sound quality seems to be on par with 'wired without BTR5' setup.

Issues so far:
Suppled USB C to USB C cable's two ends seem to be thicker than standard USB C cables as I found it very stiff while plugging into Macbook and I'm pretty sure that cable will damage USB C ports on my devices so I won't use it again. I'm sure the other supplied USB cable will also be the same. Standard USB C cables work fine and thats more than sufficient for my needs. Likewise 3.5mm jack on the device also feels stuff which is a bit wierd. Ordered its leather case which I'll never use as it's supplied clip is very good for the need and it doesn't look too bad. Another annoying thing is using volume button setting to skip tracks is a very bad implementation which I dont think poduct team bothered to think through. If a firmware update with app update can fix it, it wil be good. Plus there is a noticeable lag (lipsync issue) while watching Youtube videos.
I believe it supports low latency mode which may help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back