[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 17, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #2,506 of 3,636
Hi guys, why does audio over LDAC sounds so bad compared to USB connection on my btr5? Is it android messing with signal processing? Isn't btr5 supposed to process the signal? The reason i have my doubt is that whatever processing i am making through my phone (hiby mseb or eq using wavelet, just to check. they are left at default otherwise) is being reflected over bluetooth. So wondering if android's audio processing,which it is notorious for, is really messing with the quality before sending it over to the dac? A few people in a fb group told me that ldac and sound over usb should sound almost the same but there's a huge gap between the two using my phone. So is it my phone or my device is faulty?

PS: I know usb ll always sound better than wireless but the gap shouldnt be this big on btr5 which is famous for it's BT quality or so i had heard. What am i missing?

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #2,507 of 3,636
That's weird... I can hear differences between Tidal and Deezer in HiFi, 320 mp3s, flac and CD, Tidal and CD but can't hear any difference between LDAC and USB with BTR5...

May 17, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,512 of 3,636
Hi guys , was looking into getting something portable for convenience and saw the btr5 but then I came across this video showing how buggy the app is.

Was this rectified by fiio or is still the same ?

I barely use the app.
It connected through Android interface, i can see the basic data from the tiny screen, and do basic control from the side button.

May 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,513 of 3,636
Go to settings > System > Developer options and under networking you will find (when connected to BTR5) Bluetooth Audio Codec, Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate & Bluetooth Audio Bits Per Sample.
all done, still sounds just as good as my phone which is very inferior when compared to ipad/mac output. But when using usb it beats both mac and ipad handily. Theres much more dynamics, slam, tighter bass, nuances etc etc ... not getting those over ldac. Thought sound over BT ll be better than my ipad/mac output, guess i was wrong. No complaints with usb though.

May 19, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,514 of 3,636
With apple set to have lossless I’m thinking of getting this one or the dragonfly red for my iphone 12 pro max… but i’m leaning towards the fiio since it has a bluetooth and wired option. I’m not really a technical person so i figured I’d ask here, using a cck and a usb c cable to connect the btr5, it will function the same as dragonfly red? Which is technically better in terms of decoding lossless files? Thanks in advance :)
I used to have a Dragonfly red a couple of years ago that’s why i prefer the btr5 so i can try out something new if they function essentially the same via wired using the necessary cables… thanks in advance for any advice :)

just to add this is the one i read regarding apple’s upcoming lossless music:
“Apple Music’s lossless audio starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz, and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz natively on Apple devices. It tops out at 24 bit at 192 kHz.”

so its 24bit and 192khz, can the btr5 or the dragonfly red decode that? Thanks

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,515 of 3,636
With apple set to have lossless I’m thinking of getting this one or the dragonfly red for my iphone 12 pro max… but i’m leaning towards the fiio since it has a bluetooth and wired option. I’m not really a technical person so i figured I’d ask here, using a cck and a usb c cable to connect the btr5, it will function the same as dragonfly red? Which is technically better in terms of decoding lossless files? Thanks in advance :)
I used to have a Dragonfly red a couple of years ago that’s why i prefer the btr5 so i can try out something new if they function essentially the same via wired using the necessary cables… thanks in advance for any advice :)

just to add this is the one i read regarding apple’s upcoming lossless music:
“Apple Music’s lossless audio starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz, and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz natively on Apple devices. It tops out at 24 bit at 192 kHz.”

so its 24bit and 192khz, can the btr5 or the dragonfly red decode that? Thanks

The Dragonfly tops out at 24/96. The BTR5 can go all the way to 32/384 and supports native DSD256. The BTR5 works fine with the CCK and USB-C cable. Fiio also recently released a short cable (LT-LT1) that doesn't require the CCK.

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #2,516 of 3,636
So I got this thing as a strictly IEM USB DAC/AMP since my desktop setups are not suited for use with IEMs. And what can I say, as such it works pretty well. It's way smaller than I expected. I'm still taking it through the motions. Sounds pretty great with the Moondrop Starfield. I'm waiting for a 2.5mm balanced MMCX cable to use with my beloved TRI I3. I don't foresee using this on the go though, simply because I have too many DAPs to have any real use for this.

Stupid question:
So this thing can be connected to several BT devices. But I guess that means BT in, not out, correct? I was wondering if I can connect this to a PC with USB and use it as a BT transmitter to connect to a BT speaker. I guess that's not how this thing works (and doesn't really matter if it doesn't...)

May 22, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,517 of 3,636
So I got this thing as a strictly IEM USB DAC/AMP since my desktop setups are not suited for use with IEMs. And what can I say, as such it works pretty well. It's way smaller than I expected. I'm still taking it through the motions. Sounds pretty great with the Moondrop Starfield. I'm waiting for a 2.5mm balanced MMCX cable to use with my beloved TRI I3. I don't foresee using this on the go though, simply because I have too many DAPs to have any real use for this.

Stupid question:
So this thing can be connected to several BT devices. But I guess that means BT in, not out, correct? I was wondering if I can connect this to a PC with USB and use it as a BT transmitter to connect to a BT speaker. I guess that's not how this thing works (and doesn't really matter if it doesn't...)
It's a BT receiver, not transmitter. To send music bluetooth from my PC to BT speakers (or to the BTR5, for that matter) i use 1Mii B03Pro.

May 24, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,518 of 3,636

Stupid question:
Dear friend,

It is a Bluetooth receiver so it could not be used as BT transmitter. If you would like to find a product which support BT output when connecting to the PC via USB, you could check whether our BTA30 meet your need?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 26, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #2,519 of 3,636
where can i find what each EQ profile does, or the curve, other than ear? thanks!!

May 27, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #2,520 of 3,636
where can i find what each EQ profile does, or the curve, other than ear? thanks!!
Dear friend,

The filter is owned by the chip. And the chip supplier hasn't provided official instruction of the filter.

Here is some thinking shared by other user, for your reference:

APOD1 Apodizing fast roll-off filter type 1: Version of Linear phase fast roll-off filter optimized to improve pre-ringing.

APOD2 Apodizing fast roll-off filter type 2:Version of Minimum phase fast roll-off filter optimized to improve pre-ringing

HYBR F Hybrid fast roll-off filter: Combination of Linear-phase and Minimum-phase. Fast transient attack, strong punchy bass, crisphighs.

BRICK Brick wall filter: On of the earliest designs, intended for highest suppression possible,with high delay and pre-ringing.Linear phase, crisp clean highs

FAST Fast roll-off filter: Most Common filter with clean suppression and high rejection, best for music with high transients. Provides crisp clean highs

SLOW Slow roll-off filter: Low group-delay and symmetrical inputs response. Less ringing then Linear-phase fast roll-off. Punchier bass than LPFR, with clean highs

MINI Minimum phase fast roll-off filter: Minimal Pre- Ringing, preferred for Imaging and soundstage. No aliasing in frequency domain. Stronger bass than Linear Phase,clean highs

MINI S Minimum phase slow roll-off filter: Non-Symetrical filter designed to minimize pre-ringing. Strong punchy bass with good transient attacks

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back