[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #2,476 of 3,639
Hi Guys,

Currently I am looking for a way to watch TV and casually play videogames while my girlfriend works, and I am trying to decide if I should use my current headphones (Shure SRH-1540) with a BTR5 or go with the THX Pandas.

I know that for the use that I would mostly give them basically some cheap bluetooth adaptor would do, but I don't want to rule out listening to music with the solution that I come up with ie., the BTR5 or the Pandas.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #2,477 of 3,639
Hi Guys,

Currently I am looking for a way to watch TV and casually play videogames while my girlfriend works, and I am trying to decide if I should use my current headphones (Shure SRH-1540) with a BTR5 or go with the THX Pandas.

I know that for the use that I would mostly give them basically some cheap bluetooth adaptor would do, but I don't want to rule out listening to music with the solution that I come up with ie., the BTR5 or the Pandas.
How are you going to connect the TV with the BTR5?

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,478 of 3,639
Hi Guys,

You'll want something with AptX ll or AptX Adaptive to minimize latency with video if possible. I use my BTR5 specifically with video (AptX ll) for that reason. Obviously for audio, you'll want LDAC.

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #2,479 of 3,639
Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #2,480 of 3,639
Apr 8, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #2,481 of 3,639
So I guess that he can use the BTR5.
For watching tv it's great, but for video gaming the delay is to much, even with aptx-LL.
It was very noticable in comparison to the headphones on the R28 simultaneously.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,482 of 3,639
You'll want something with AptX ll or AptX Adaptive to minimize latency with video if possible. I use my BTR5 specifically with video (AptX ll) for that reason. Obviously for audio, you'll want LDAC.

Duly noted, in case that I go for a BT device, the BTR5 is on the top of my list :D

How are you going to connect the TV with the BTR5?

I've got a Samsung 55" TU7000, which as per the specs supports Bluetooth 4.2, so I assumed that it would be just a matter of synching it with any device, BTR5/Headphones...

Chriss Kaoss said:
For watching tv it's great, but for video gaming the delay is to much, even with aptx-LL.
It was very noticable in comparison to the headphones on the R28 simultaneously.

You make a very good poing about the delay, I had not really considered it because I thought that it would only make a real difference in competitive gaming which I won't even pretend to be half capable of trying.

For what I am seeingI was oversimplifying the solution, however I have not found a site or thread where I can read about it, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,483 of 3,639
Duly noted, in case that I go for a BT device, the BTR5 is on the top of my list :D

I've got a Samsung 55" TU7000, which as per the specs supports Bluetooth 4.2, so I assumed that it would be just a matter of synching it with any device, BTR5/Headphones...

You make a very good poing about the delay, I had not really considered it because I thought that it would only make a real difference in competitive gaming which I won't even pretend to be half capable of trying.

For what I am seeingI was oversimplifying the solution, however I have not found a site or thread where I can read about it, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Here is a "short" lesson about bluetooth. ^^

It's from 2019.

https://habr.com/en/post/456182/

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,485 of 3,639

Thanks
If you have a proper aptx LL transmitter there should be no Noticeable latency. I use the btr5 will the a homespot USB c transmitter with my Nintendo switch, PlayStation 4, and cell phone. There is absolutely no Noticeable lag and this is while playing fps and other action games. Aptx LL is only active if you are also using an aptx LL transmitter, otherwise you are using regular aptx which as you know is no good for gaming

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,486 of 3,639
If you have a proper aptx LL transmitter there should be no Noticeable latency. I use the btr5 will the a homespot USB c transmitter with my Nintendo switch, PlayStation 4, and cell phone. There is absolutely no Noticeable lag and this is while playing fps and other action games. Aptx LL is only active if you are also using an aptx LL transmitter, otherwise you are using regular aptx which as you know is no good for gaming

Yup, same here. I've tested it by turning volume up on and tv and headphone and there was no sync issues. Makes no difference whether gaming or movie watching. av sync is about 40 ms which is exceptional.

And yes you need an aptx ll transmitter. There are many cheap and small options available. Avantree Oasis is probably the most popular.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,487 of 3,639
Yup, same here. I've tested it by turning volume up on and tv and headphone and there was no sync issues. Makes no difference whether gaming or movie watching. av sync is about 40 ms which is exceptional.

And yes you need an aptx ll transmitter. There are many cheap and small options available. Avantree Oasis is probably the most popular.

I use the Sennheiser BT T100 with my AV setup (using aptX-LL) with no issues. Unfortunately none of these transmitters support LDAC for pure audio use (although I would not be using my AV setup for that anyway...).

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2,488 of 3,639

I use 1Mii B03Pro, very satisfied.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,489 of 3,639
I’m pretty interested in trying one of these, but I don’t think I have the right use case for it. I have an iPhone SE 2016 (so, lightning and 3.5mm output), Sony ZX507 (already has balanced output), Activo CT10 (another android-based DAP), an iBasso DC03 for my iPad and MacBook, and a lightning-3.5mm dongle. I listen on Blessing2:Dusks (I have 4.4mm bal and 3.5mm se cables), as well as Sony MDR-1AM2s (4.4mm and 3.5 also).

Given the BTR5 doesn’t play elegantly with iPhones, and it uses a 2.5mm bal output instead of 4.4mm, there’s no real reason to try picking this up for my setup right? I see it so often recommended but I can’t really find a good use case for my situation, would love to hear some opinions/enabling from anyone with a similar setup. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #2,490 of 3,639
I’m pretty interested in trying one of these, but I don’t think I have the right use case for it. I have an iPhone SE 2016 (so, lightning and 3.5mm output), Sony ZX507 (already has balanced output), Activo CT10 (another android-based DAP), an iBasso DC03 for my iPad and MacBook, and a lightning-3.5mm dongle. I listen on Blessing2:Dusks (I have 4.4mm bal and 3.5mm se cables), as well as Sony MDR-1AM2s (4.4mm and 3.5 also).

Given the BTR5 doesn’t play elegantly with iPhones, and it uses a 2.5mm bal output instead of 4.4mm, there’s no real reason to try picking this up for my setup right? I see it so often recommended but I can’t really find a good use case for my situation, would love to hear some opinions/enabling from anyone with a similar setup. Thanks!

If you have no need for BT wireless, it certainly looks like you have the bases covered. My primary use for the BTR5 is late night TV watching using aptX LL. Everything else is nice to have. I actually use AirPods Pro with my iPhone and MacBook fairly often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back