[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #196 of 3,639
You should thank @psikey who brought it to our attention... :)

I just hope the pre-order wait won't be long and we get our units before Christmas.

For AMP3 UK buyers (they replied to my email this morning)

Hi

Our FiiO shipment is now on the way and we should hopefully have them tomorrow. Depending on arrival time we will try to ship out the BTR5 orders same day if we can.

Kind Regards,

Linda
(Advanced MP3 Players Sales Team)

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #197 of 3,639
For AMP3 UK buyers (they replied to my email this morning)

Hi

Our FiiO shipment is now on the way and we should hopefully have them tomorrow. Depending on arrival time we will try to ship out the BTR5 orders same day if we can.

Kind Regards,

Linda
(Advanced MP3 Players Sales Team)
I was very sad that the pre-order on Amp3 was SO short lived :frowning2:
I tried to get it, and the page opened and everything seemed to be going OK, but by the time I went to add the BTR5 to my basket they must have ended it.
70-odd quid too :triportsad:

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #199 of 3,639
I was very sad that the pre-order on Amp3 was SO short lived :frowning2:
I tried to get it, and the page opened and everything seemed to be going OK, but by the time I went to add the BTR5 to my basket they must have ended it.
70-odd quid too :triportsad:
£76 with the 15% off. Yes, they went really quick after I posted info and then gone from website !

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #202 of 3,639
Just ordered mine from eaemporium on eBay UK.. should have it tomorrow so I am looking forward to hearing it for myself...

it was by chance I even knew this updated version was out as I nearly ordered the BTR 3...

I had been in 2 minds about getting the Plus Sound BT custom cable using their Poetic cable but I thought I would stick to using my own EA or ALO cable so the BTR5 will give me that flexibility.. hopefully it will be worth the cost :)

Dec 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #203 of 3,639
Received my BTR5 just now.

Initial thoughts.

Great design, similar to BTR3 but chunkier of course.

Pairing, very simple. Switched it on an pairing mode invoked automatically.

Connect to my Note 8, LDAC, seamless.

Sounds very good, very powerful. Drives my 600ohm T1s to sufficient volume at around 40-43/60 in single ended mode.

As USB dac, simple, plugged into USB C and connected to laptop, recognised as Fiio Q device in Roon.

Works perfectly bit-perfect, including DSF files. Tested up to DSF 64 and 192/24 files, no glitching.

Compared briefly to Mojo. No slouch at all.

Great start!

BTR3 now has been relegated to my backup box of gadgets.

All within 1 hour. Lol.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #205 of 3,639
Great to hear about bit perfect / glitching, Good :)

Can you elaborate on comparisons to mojo or others?

can't wait to receive mine
I will have to wait for a calmer moment to assess more subjectively ref sound quality between devices.

What I meant was, for now, with brief comparison, nothing stands out as lacking; basically I couldn't hear difference in a quick a/b comparison which is great. More musicality and timbre differences may pop up over time and with more critical listening. Will comment accordingly.

I have noticed that Roon is reluctant to play PCM after playing bitperfect DSD files through the btr5. Will investigate settings. Not a big deal for me. Glitching is far more serious and I get that with X7ii and M6 as DACs, but the btr5 hasn't shown any (yet). Will soak test more...

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #206 of 3,639
I will have to wait for a calmer moment to assess more subjectively ref sound quality between devices.

What I meant was, for now, with brief comparison, nothing stands out as lacking; basically I couldn't hear difference in a quick a/b comparison which is great. More musicality and timbre differences may pop up over time and with more critical listening. Will comment accordingly.

I have noticed that Roon is reluctant to play PCM after playing bitperfect DSD files through the btr5. Will investigate settings. Not a big deal for me. Glitching is far more serious and I get that with X7ii and M6 as DACs, but the btr5 hasn't shown any (yet). Will soak test more...
Would be very interesting on your thoughts as to comparison with BTR3. Not sure whether to upgrade or not. Any substantial improvements in your opinion? Thanks in advance.

Dec 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #207 of 3,639
Mine just arrived as well... though it is still in the packaging until I have some more time later...

Be interesting to see how it sounds with my EA and ALO cables... and compare with my mojo sound and using an iPhone and the SR15....

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #208 of 3,639
Just spent the last 2 hrs doing some tests both in USB mode and BT mode.

In USB mode comparing BTR5 with Mojo using Roon, ASIO modes for both.

In BT mode, comparing LDAC with wired mode on LG VG30

Headphones/IEMs used: Beyerdynamic T1 and Fiio FH7

Music wise, been using 24/96 files, Redbook, 24/192, Tidal MQA streams, DSF files, 24/48, etc.
Steve Earle, Jean Michel Jarre, Satriani, Robben Ford, Genesis, Eagles.

When I listen I really want to know if I can live with a product seamlessly; if it compromises the music experience too much to mean it gets uses only in an emergency or when it's other merits (eg size, or microphone) force use temporarily.

Now... briefly I can say after switching between Mojo and BTR5 in USB mode extensively, there is very little in it. Maybe the Mojo has a bit more resolving power, space and smoothness, but it's marginal. Indeed,after switching so many times, I couldn't be honest and say I'd recognise one over the other blind listening. As I write this, am switching still between the 2 and have to keep checking as I forget which I'm listening to. Certainly it's not something I find myself thinking, "darn I should be listening to this via Mojo now" (and that goes for Bluetooth mode also).

I've solved the problem of the BTR5 not wanting to play PCM after DSD with Roon, by selection ASIO mode and DSD over PCM (DoP) in the settings. So far so good. It's been a champ with no glitching or failures.

As regards Bluetooth LDAC mode, the BTR5 is stable, clean, little difference between BT and USB, but perhaps a bit more air and comprehension of the musical structure with Roon/USB mode vs BT via LG V30.

The differences are small, perhaps so small as to be placebo. I would like to rig up some blind tests. Again, I'm writing this and am having to metaphorically pinch myself when I realise am streaming BT.

Comparing the BTR5 with BTR3, the BTR3 sounds less refined in the treble and not as open as the BTR5. There's not nearly as much power with the BTR3, which makes the BTR5 sound more dynamic. The BTR5 sounds much more of a mature, audiophile product than the BTR3. BRT5 works MUCH better as a USB DAC with the ability to play native DSD, and HD files, rather than being limited to 16/48 as the BTR3 is. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

All this is Good News. I'm loving the fact that this little thing for so little money can do so much. The very fact that it can be compared +vely to a mature dedicated DAC like the Mojo is amazing in itself, but add the exemplary BT performance and this should definitely be another home run for Fiio.

PS... Driving capability is amazing... 600 ohm T1s volume around 40-43/60 for normal listening, FH7 around 19-20. Beware switching between modes as levels are retained, so if you are going from USB mode using high impedance over ears to BT using high sensitivity IEMs beware!!

Great product @FiiO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back