[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #1,891 of 3,635
Sorry to say yes, it's still saying the same thing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000316761086.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.e85f2920i419SZ

It's happening in other stores / products I've looked at on AliExpress as well. As soon as I select the options to add to cart - item "color", shipping location (if showing), the shipping options aren't shown and it says "Can not deliver to United States".

Perhaps your IP / route needs to be from inside the US? And, there may be network / domain exceptions for partners such as yourself based in China? Perhaps AliExpress checks previous product purchases to see if your address is in the USA?
You can buy from Amazon, cheaper and faster, why the hassle buying from AliExpress

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,892 of 3,635
I've been wondering: can the DAC clock divider settings separated between USB mode and BT mode? As of right now, I think changing it applies to both mode.

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,893 of 3,635
You can buy from Amazon, cheaper and faster, why the hassle buying from AliExpress
That's irrelevant to the question I am asking isn't it? I'm not looking for advice on where to buy the BTR5 at the best price, but thanks for the suggestion.

And I thought @FiiO would like to know US customers can't order from their AliExpress store right now.

The BTR5 "Realm of the Sky Edition" was only available to purchase on FiiO's AliExpress store when I bought it, now it's saying "Can not deliver to United States" for even the regular BTR5 from FiiO's AliExpress store.

And, yes the regular BTR5 and Titanium version are finally $109.95 on Amazon at least for a while, after being $139 for so long (or higher) - probably a good idea to pick one up before they sell out and the prices go up again, I already have 2 BTR5 spares - a good idea if you like something like this that can get lost or fail over time:
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR5-384K-Bluetooth5-0-Headphone-Unbalanced/dp/B088YFDYBB

@FiiO - Why is FiiO's AliExpress store refusing to deliver to the US? Why are other AliExpress stores doing the same? I've checked back on stores about items I've ordered before that are now saying the same thing: "Can not deliver to United States".

If you don't know please ask your AliExpress store liaison to ask AliExpress what is going on? I'm sure there are other US customers that would like to know what's up too. I'm hoping someone with an AliExpress store has a better chance of getting an answer from AliExpress than a random US customer. :)

Update: I worked through this with AliExpress and something they changed in their webpage / cookies recently broke under my "Privacy Settings" while set to "Full Privacy". When I backed down to "Reset to Defaults" in "Privacy Settings" in Microsoft Edge then the AliExpress product pages started working again, no more "Can not ship to United States" - "Privacy Settings".

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,895 of 3,635
I have a question about using the BTR5 as a source connected to my DAC. I'm trying to build a listening station with a minimum of wires, relatively fewer pieces (for the volume and the cost savings). So far, I have a standard laptop-dac-amp combo and a bedroom setup that uses an xDuoo TA-01B dac/amp combo, which I have rigged up via dongles and a powered USB adapter to a lightning cable. I sit in my lounger and plug in a phone or an iPad and listen to my HD6XXs and it works pretty nicely (I must use the powered USB for it to sound nice)

I'm trying to do another, similar setup, but I would like to do it so that the iPad or iPhone don't need to be physically plugged in to listen. So I have arrived at the BTR5 as a possible solution here. I would keep the BTR5 physically connected to the DAC, and bluetooth from my iPhone as the remote control. In this case, the BTR5 would act as the digital source, fed over bluetooth from the phone. Does anyone have a similar implementation or is there a better way of doing it.

Ultimately, I'm trying to stay away from laptops or DAPs as a digital source and I see the BTR5 as a possible solution. Hoping someone can steer me the right way before I buy from Amazon, though I'm happy to return it if it doesn't work.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #1,896 of 3,635
... In this case, the BTR5 would act as the digital source, fed over bluetooth from the phone. Does anyone have a similar implementation or is there a better way of doing it.

BTR5 can't output digital signal - no BT adapter can, as a matter of fact.

What you want is probably a small DAP that can support USB DAC function as well as acting as BT receiver, which there are a few: FiiO M5, Shanling M0, Hidiz AP80, etc.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,897 of 3,635
Welcome to Fiio technical support...
lol
I've been wondering: can the DAC clock divider settings separated between USB mode and BT mode? As of right now, I think changing it applies to both mode.
meanwhile im still here searching the difference between dac clock divider and distorsion compensation settings

finally someones who explain the distorsion compensation feature.. so by your explanation : if i dial the second harmonic to level 5 and leave the third harmonic on 0 the sound should be more analog / musical and if i leave the second harmonic on 0 and set the third harmonic to level 5 it should give a bit more colder / analytical sound? also one more question, whats the difference between the clock divider level settings?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,899 of 3,635
To overly over-simplify things, a DAC needs a reference clock to generate sound. A clock divider is used to basically control how precise that clock is. The more precise the clock, the more precise the sound and the less noise.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,900 of 3,635
To overly over-simplify things, a DAC needs a reference clock to generate sound. A clock divider is used to basically control how precise that clock is. The more precise the clock, the more precise the sound and the less noise.
thanks for super simplifying it to me, it saves my brain from processing all the mumbo jumbo things :beerchug:

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,901 of 3,635

Thanks ! So why isnt the max dividing factor not always used ? You always want less noise don't you? I presume there are countersides to balance?
This might also explain why different divider factors are recommended for USB and BT?

Thanks again

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #1,902 of 3,635
Thanks ! So why isnt the max dividing factor not always used ? You always want less noise don't you? I presume there are countersides to balance?
This might also explain why different divider factors are recommended for USB and BT?

Thanks again

Most DAC maker would probably just set the clock divider setting to the highest and be done with it. I imagine FiiO is allowing the user to change the setting so individual can decide whether to squeeze out more battery life or best SQ.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,903 of 3,635
I have a question about using the BTR5 as a source connected to my DAC. I'm trying to build a listening station with a minimum of wires, relatively fewer pieces (for the volume and the cost savings). So far, I have a standard laptop-dac-amp combo and a bedroom setup that uses an xDuoo TA-01B dac/amp combo, which I have rigged up via dongles and a powered USB adapter to a lightning cable. I sit in my lounger and plug in a phone or an iPad and listen to my HD6XXs and it works pretty nicely (I must use the powered USB for it to sound nice)

I'm trying to do another, similar setup, but I would like to do it so that the iPad or iPhone don't need to be physically plugged in to listen. So I have arrived at the BTR5 as a possible solution here. I would keep the BTR5 physically connected to the DAC, and bluetooth from my iPhone as the remote control. In this case, the BTR5 would act as the digital source, fed over bluetooth from the phone. Does anyone have a similar implementation or is there a better way of doing it.

Ultimately, I'm trying to stay away from laptops or DAPs as a digital source and I see the BTR5 as a possible solution. Hoping someone can steer me the right way before I buy from Amazon, though I'm happy to return it if it doesn't work.

This is my simple budget solution - JDS Atom Amp / FX Audio Tube Buffer / ChromeCast Audio / BTR5 / BTR3 / ES100
JDS Atom has two inputs - 3.5mm and RCA. CCA via 3.5 and FX Audio via RCA . Bluetooth adapters connect to the FX Audio.

FX Audio tube rolled.

IMG_20190313_221815.jpg

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,904 of 3,635
This is my simple budget solution - JDS Atom Amp / FX Audio Tube Buffer / ChromeCast Audio / BTR5 / BTR3 / ES100
JDS Atom has two inputs - 3.5mm and RCA. CCA via 3.5 and FX Audio via RCA . Bluetooth adapters connect to the FX Audio.

FX Audio tube rolled.

IMG_20190313_221815.jpg
Thanks for that. Looks a lot like what I’m trying to build, but why do you need a BTR3, BTR5, CCA and an ES100? There’s got to be a way to replace them all with one device that plugs into the DAC as source. I’m not too concerned with Bluetooth or chromecast but they’re nice bonuses if so. Maybe a raspberry pi solution but even then I could just get a DAP.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,905 of 3,635
...but why do you need a BTR3, BTR5, CCA and an ES100?

Bluetooth audio addict. Actually just the evolution of my journey in headphones. Started with BTR3 => heard good things about ES100 (never liked the plastic build of it though) => BTR5 is where it is at. Love the unit - works well with my 2.5 IEMs and balanced HD6XX and my 3.5 IEMs. CCA because it connects via WIFI.

CCA via 3.5mm directly to Atom as Solid State amp sound. (Way the engineers want it to sound)

FX-Audio tube buffer for the slight harmonic distortion that just adds a little warmth and tube goodness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back