[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #436 of 3,639
This is probably because the USC C to Lightning cable is not MFI certified, contrary to the Apple CCK dongle.
Maybe try to find a MFI USB C cable, I don't know if those exists.
Thanks, for the reply & suggestion. It’s the cable from the original iPhone box (with fast charging adapter) so I doubt that it is due to MFi certificate thingy. I suspect (hope not) it’s an energy related issue or something...
@FiiO are you guys maybe able to advise? Thanks

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #437 of 3,639
Thanks, for the reply & suggestion. It’s the cable from the original iPhone box (with fast charging adapter) so I doubt that it is due to MFi certificate thingy. I suspect (hope not) it’s an energy related issue or something...
@FiiO are you guys maybe able to advise? Thanks

As far as I know the Lightning2USB-C cable does not support data transfer to other than PC or Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-me/HT205807

T
hink Fiio themselves wrote somewhere on Headfi that in fact you need Apple CCK to use BTR5 as a USB-DAC for iPhone!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #438 of 3,639
@FiiO I wonder if you just clarify please as I'm considering buying the BTR5 as an upgrade to my ES100 due to the extra power requirements of my IEMs...If I'm using an iPhone for my music and a Mac as my computer, is there a full iOS app and a method of updating firmware?
If not, are there plans to add these at some point?
Thanks

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #439 of 3,639
Hello everybody!! I recently purchased the BTR5 and now I am looking for headphones. I dont have any experiece in Hi-Fi audio systems apart from reading forums and watching reviews on youtube. So its time for me to start listening!!! As a beginer my demands are limited. As far as I have read, the BTR5 is an excellent DAC to start with. I am planning to feed it with Spotify (LDAC connection from mobile) and FLACS from laptop (USB connection). I want to listen to music (mainly rock and jazz) and occasionally to watch movies "silently". I am almost settled to buy the Sennheiser HD660S but I have some questions:
1. Is the BTR5 capable to drive the 660s? Has anybody test this setup?
2. I am thinking to connect them in 2.5mm balanced output. Is there any meaning on this or the sound is the same with 3.5mm outpout?

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #440 of 3,639
Hello everybody!! I recently purchased the BTR5 and now I am looking for headphones. I dont have any experiece in Hi-Fi audio systems apart from reading forums and watching reviews on youtube. So its time for me to start listening!!! As a beginer my demands are limited. As far as I have read, the BTR5 is an excellent DAC to start with. I am planning to feed it with Spotify (LDAC connection from mobile) and FLACS from laptop (USB connection). I want to listen to music (mainly rock and jazz) and occasionally to watch movies "silently". I am almost settled to buy the Sennheiser HD660S but I have some questions:
2. I am thinking to connect them in 2.5mm balanced output. Is there any meaning on this or the sound is the same with 3.5mm outpout?
660 requires too much power, IMO. Find a less power hungry headphone, and you'll be good. 660 let's le know you are looking for open back, yet you said watch moves silently. So maybe you want a closed back portable? Plenty good headphones under 100ohm resistance. Much better match for btr5

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #441 of 3,639
Thank you for your reply. By "silently" I mean compered to the home cinema while kids are sleeping. I know about the sound leak of open-backs but is not my concern. What you said about power requirements troubles me more and thats why I asked your opinion and if someone has already combined btr5 with 660s. On the other hand, I would prefer to do fewer and better purchases...

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #442 of 3,639

I had some HD660S and they were fine, but if you also want to use for movies then have a look at the BT/wired Audeze Mobious. They are marketted as gaming headphones but sound superb for both music and movies and just as good over LDAC bluetooth. Also do 3D 7.1 sound.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #443 of 3,639
Thank you for your reply. By "silently" I mean compered to the home cinema while kids are sleeping. I know about the sound leak of open-backs but is not my concern. What you said about power requirements troubles me more and thats why I asked your opinion and if someone has already combined btr5 with 660s. On the other hand, I would prefer to do fewer and better purchases...

I use an HD650 with a Btr3. works fine, depends how loud you prefer your volume. An HD660s on a Btr5 will be louder

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #445 of 3,639
Sorry but I was not clear for what I want and I dont. I do not want wireless ANC, studio or gaming headphones. I already own the BTR5 and I want to combine it with a decent pair of headphones with detachable cables so I can use ballanced connections. For example, I rejected Beyerdynamic DT880 or DT990 because of non-detachable cable. I am asking the opinion of someone who has combined the exact equipment (BTR5 + HD660S) and has listened its potentials. fsi22 for example has HD650 with BTR3, but HD650 are 300 Ohms vs HD660S at 150 Ohms. Also BTR3 outputs 25mW at 3.5mm whereas BTR5 80mW through 3.5mm and 240mW at 2.5mm BAL.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #446 of 3,639
BTR5 has plenty power balanced for HD660S IMO.

Nice headphones but nothing fantastic.

Mobius are not ANC and can be used with wire plus microphone is detacheable. Anyway give the HD660S a try if thats your preference.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #447 of 3,639
Just got my BTR5! Does anyone know if you turn off the “charge” in the app, stay plugged in to USB-C, battery drains naturally, will it still work without charge but with USB-C? Mine is staying in the car so I’m just trying to eliminate the battery’s eventual demise from the equation (and extend its potential life).

Also there is a feature in the app called DAC Clock Divider level of 0.25, 0.5, and 1.0. Does it make sense to bump that to 1.0 when it is plugged in irrespective of source (Bluetooth or USB).

I also notice the volume drop when EQ is applied in unbalanced mode. Hopefully that can be addressed in firmware.

Overall I love the app and hope they continue enhancing it!!

Jan 8, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #448 of 3,639
Just got my BTR5! Does anyone know if you turn off the “charge” in the app, stay plugged in to USB-C, battery drains naturally, will it still work without charge but with USB-C? Mine is staying in the car so I’m just trying to eliminate the battery’s eventual demise from the equation (and extend its potential life).

Also there is a feature in the app called DAC Clock Divider level of 0.25, 0.5, and 1.0. Does it make sense to bump that to 1.0 when it is plugged in irrespective of source (Bluetooth or USB).

I also notice the volume drop when EQ is applied in unbalanced mode. Hopefully that can be addressed in firmware.

Volume drop when we applied is normal. It's there to prevent clipping as you raise other frequencies.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #449 of 3,639

I`d be very interested to hear whether you (and other BTR5 owners) also hear a slight sound quality loss (not only a volume drop) when switching on the EQ. To my ears switching on the EQ to "flat" clearly leads to less treble than without EQ (at least on iOS), even when I quickly adjust the volume to the same level as before.

Me, personally, I must say I don`t think the (iOS) app is very good yet, but I agree I hope they continue enhancing it! Besides fixing the EQ issue above,I am wishing for
- other bug fixes (for example, sometimes the app cannot detect my device anymore and I need to restart it a thousand times before it works again)
- being able to safe several EQ settings!
- not stopping the music anymore when switching on the app
- generally smoother interface (switching the EQ and other functions need loading time, for example!)
- no more language mistakes and mixed up languages within the interface
- firmware updates through the App (or at least being able to use a Mac)

etc.

Well, generally I am wishing for a similar app experience as the ES100 - which works so well!

Fiio really got the hardware right this time :) , just the software.......ungh.... :frowning2:

And oh, Fiio, can you pleeeeease change the sound when switching the device on? It sounds like an 80s computer jingle out of 5 dollar speakers - it is totally distorted! Does no fit to a "flagship" AUDIO device at all! Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #450 of 3,639
- not stopping the music anymore when switching on the app

I posted the 'FiiO Control' app awhile ago in this thread. Use that instead of the 'FiiO Music' app for controlling BTR5 and the music won't stop when the app is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back