[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #423 of 3,635
I'm currently swapping listening with my SE846's between the BTR5 balanced via 990kbps LDAC BT or wired direct to my Sony A105 or Dragonfly Cobalt and the BTR5 is the most clean with dead silent background.

The DFC still seems to sound the best with Tidal and MQA's fed from an iPhone or PC but its really minor differences.

At this rate I will be just using the BTR5 via LDAC to my S10+ phone or A105.

I've gone as high at M11 with Fiio and R5 with Hiby and I sware the BTR5 sounds nicer throughout

The Sony's have their own sound sig so Sony A105 still worth keeping and my DCF still best for use with my PC to speakers (simple use and MQA support).

If I'm listening to Tidal MQA at home will still use the DFC wired.

You wouldn't have believed you could ever get this quality via BT only a year or 2 ago (previously had BTR3 and ES100).

If you want best "bang for buck" for SQ and convenience, and already using an Android phone with LDAC support the BTR5 is untouchable IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #424 of 3,635
Looking forward to the arrival in Germany or Europe.
Need a good dac/amp along with my Surface Pro.

And for work with bluetooth. :)

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #425 of 3,635

Got mine from AMP3 in UK for £76 ( black Friday discount code). They should ship to EU.

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #426 of 3,635

You can can actually already buy it in Germany! Got mine at the German Fiio Online store already 3 weeks ago!

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #427 of 3,635
Been seeing a lot of questions about low pass filters that only your ears can answer; but here's an old chart that could help.
5179322280b76cbc01f08c4e480f4f8e.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #428 of 3,635
Thanks @psikey @Hanesu
Will give it a shot.
Hope there isn't such a problem with battery like my former ES100 had.

I've ordered one instantly while out of stock atm.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #430 of 3,635
Just curious, what Lowpass filter is everyone using? I can't say I hear a big difference between them.... haha
I've played with all of them after updating to FiiO's latest fw. I mainly use BLON BL-03 with them, but I have used the Monoprice Retro and CALs on them. I use to be a car audio guy so I was curious if the low-pass filters would change things like it would in subs.... but I personally can't tell you the difference on any of them. I picture this may just be a way of future proofing the device but I'm not entirely sure, I'm sure there's some headphones you maybe able to audibly tell the difference. Stock sound is good enough I don't really care. lol

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #431 of 3,635
I noticed that BTR5 and other recently released devices offer many and various different filters. So my question is if we know a particular headphone or earphone can be modeled via a theoretical impulse response (freq graphs) and the impulse response can be captured in the filter parameters or coefficients, then we can obtain a flat or balanced frequency response for each and every headphones or earphones as long as we develop a relevant filter, will Fiio add filters to support this? I think this will help simplify the need to equalize when we switch headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #432 of 3,635
In that case, i'd recommend Uapp with tone booster.
There you can save a lot of headphone presets made by yourself to fulfill your needs. :wink:

But you're right, something like detection of impedance to enable presets would be perfect. :)

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #433 of 3,635
I noticed that BTR5 and other recently released devices offer many and various different filters. So my question is if we know a particular headphone or earphone can be modeled via a theoretical impulse response (freq graphs) and the impulse response can be captured in the filter parameters or coefficients, then we can obtain a flat or balanced frequency response for each and every headphones or earphones as long as we develop a relevant filter, will Fiio add filters to support this? I think this will help simplify the need to equalize when we switch headphones.

These filters are built-in hardware features by the DAC chip maker, not something put in by FiiO. While adding new filter is not completely out of question for BTR5 due to the use of XMOS controller, this is usually a very complicated work that I don't think FiiO is currently capable of nor wanting to invest time into. It usually will take a master DAC designer/engineer to implement a new filter.

Besides that, these filters generally measure quite flat (with difference in how fast roll-off kicks in) regardless of what headphones you are going to use. Whether one person prefer one filter over another has a lot to do with personal taste as well. Trying to force one particular filter on one particular model of headphone won't likely to work.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #434 of 3,635
I just got this last 2 days. For me they sounds incredible and almost surpassing my DFC Cobalt when using them in USB DAC mode + balanced output. Also, they sounds very mature and big!. Now am thinking of switching to Android from iOS - just for the LDAC (not sure if it worth the sacrifice)

[QUESTION]
Does anyone knows why the USB DAC is not working when using direct cable (for my case, it’s USB C to Lightning)?

It will only works when there’s a USB A involved (using Apple CCK with stock USB C cable).

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #435 of 3,635
[QUESTION]
Does anyone knows why the USB DAC is not working when using direct cable (for my case, it’s USB C to Lightning)?

It will only works when there’s a USB A involved (using Apple CCK with stock USB C cable).

This is probably because the USC C to Lightning cable is not MFI certified, contrary to the Apple CCK dongle.
Maybe try to find a MFI USB C cable, I don't know if those exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back