[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #406 of 3,639
Got my BTR5 first thing this week. I ordered it off AliExpress from FiiO's store, they're doing "free" DHL shipping for anyone who's interested it's included in the cost I'm pretty sure. Just note they charge taxes on AliExpress now, which is new to me, but some of you may already know. I ended up with a coupon I had getting charged $140ish. I needed a replacement bluetooth dac/amp for the Fiio BTR1K asap because the 3.5mm jack killed itself. I was happy because DHL delivered it within two days of me ordering it.

Impressions for the last three days of full use is that it's pretty amazing. Using it mostly for my IEMs, I have the BLON BL-03 and KZ ZS6. It has a great stock sound signature, I'm not using any EQ for now, for me it's noticeably better than the BTR1K (given that was a budget option). The only thing at the moment I have to compare it to is the Topping MX3, I haven't really put the two side by side or anything, most likely will this weekend as well as use some overears. Gotta say I am loving the app, FiiO has put a lot of effort to make the settings at least come close to what I saw on the EarStudio app. I had the BTR3 briefly and it seems like they've made this model more customizable from what I remember being on the BTR3's customization. Also haven't used this as a USB-C dac/amp either. Battery life seems pretty decent from what I've experienced. I took it to work for the first time today and haven't had to charge it yet, I didn't charge it the day before either.

So far only negative thing I can say is it's a glass sandwich and fingerprint magnet... but hey so is my phone. :dizzy_face:

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #408 of 3,639
Looks neat, but apparently purely cosmetic changes vs the BTR5 from what I see in the post. Rather save my money and buy something with new capabilities.

As far as BT adapter goes, I don't think there is any that is more capable than BTR5 at the moment.

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #409 of 3,639
Are there any plans to offer an iOs app or a way to upgrade firmware from a Mac? Or from the app?
Dear user,

Currently not. It may take quite a long time to update the firmware via mobile phone.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #410 of 3,639
It would appreciate having an in-depth comparison between the BTR5 and the ES100, especially on audio and BT connectivity.
Currently I own the ES100.
Options: purchase the BTR5 or wait for the Qudelix 5K (expected, end of Q1?).

Jan 4, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #411 of 3,639
It would appreciate having an in-depth comparison between the BTR5 and the ES100, especially on audio and BT connectivity.
Currently I own the ES100.
Options: purchase the BTR5 or wait for the Qudelix 5K (expected, end of Q1?).

I have both. Honestly, the differences in sound are not huge....they have only a slightly different tonal balance. To my ears, BTR5 sounds a little fuller in the mids and a bit more natural with voices....while ES100 seems to be very slightly recessed in the mids but for that reason also sounds a little "splashier" and airier/wider. Depends on what you like and maybe what kind of music you listen to. They both sound really good imo for what they are (little BT dongles) and I am not sure if Qudelix will sound "better" or just be another variation.

BTR5 obviously has the way better built quality and haptics (that`s why I bought it), but it is also bigger and heavier than ES100 and surprisingly buttons can be quite annoying (buttons are too thin and you have to click for each step to increase volume etc).

Fiio EQ/App also has definitely not convinced me so far; using EQ reduces sound quality slightly to my ears (treble looses a bit of extension) and also sometimes the app is buggy, freezes or does not let me access my BT device). Not to forget that music stops playing when you activate the app. Hope all of this will be improved soon. ES100 app and EQ are brilliant and literally work flawlessly.

Connectivity: I did not have any problems at all with both.

Well, and last but not least, if you need a lot of output power for bigger and demanding headphones - take the Fiio. If not and you mainly use IEMs - output on both is absolutely fine and more than enough!

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #413 of 3,639
I have both. Honestly, the differences in sound are not huge....they have only a slightly different tonal balance. To my ears, BTR5 sounds a little fuller in the mids and a bit more natural with voices....while ES100 seems to be very slightly recessed in the mids but for that reason also sounds a little "splashier" and airier/wider. Depends on what you like and maybe what kind of music you listen to. They both sound really good imo for what they are (little BT dongles) and I am not sure if Qudelix will sound "better" or just be another variation.

BTR5 obviously has the way better built quality and haptics (that`s why I bought it), but it is also bigger and heavier than ES100 and surprisingly buttons can be quite annoying (buttons are too thin and you have to click for each step to increase volume etc).

Fiio EQ/App also has definitely not convinced me so far; using EQ reduces sound quality slightly to my ears (treble looses a bit of extension) and also sometimes the app is buggy, freezes or does not let me access my BT device). Not to forget that music stops playing when you activate the app. Hope all of this will be improved soon. ES100 app and EQ are brilliant and literally work flawlessly.

Connectivity: I did not have any problems at all with both.

Well, and last but not least, if you need a lot of output power for bigger and demanding headphones - take the Fiio. If not and you mainly use IEMs - output on both is absolutely fine and more than enough!

Thanks for the brief and usefull comparison, the BTR5 is briliant, and in paper is totaly better than its competition, for that i was pulling the trigger since its launch but fails in a crucial department for me, the EQ, I just set the ES100 up in the app and every adjustment will be stored in the unit, being free to listen to my SE846 as i want, in every pc/mac (USB DAC), android tab or phone (LDAC), exactly as I set. right now, even if my current es100 fails, i would bought it again ultil another good contender is released.
Best hopes for the @FiiO development team, and somaday in the close future, their BTR surpases the quality of the ES100 app and EQ.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #414 of 3,639
Ciao a tutti gli amici del forum, ho acquistato FiiO btr5 dopo aver posseduto ear studio es100 per molto tempo. Arrivo immediato alla conclusione senza indugiare, per qualità costruttiva il btr5 e anni luce avanti, audio entrambi i migliori, il FioO ha più potenza, ma ciò che studio 100 supera il BTR 5 e la sua applicazione completa, un equalizzatore professionale, con la possibilità di cambiare i parametri per ogni singola cuffia e quindi tenerli in memoria. Mi chiedo cosa manca a FiiO con la sua decennale esperienza nella creazione di un'app simile? mi scusi per il mio inglese ☺

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #415 of 3,639
Ciao a tutti gli amici del forum, ho acquistato FiiO btr5 dopo aver posseduto ear studio es100 per molto tempo. Arrivo immediato alla conclusione senza indugiare, per qualità costruttiva il btr5 e anni luce avanti, audio entrambi i migliori, il FioO ha più potenza, ma ciò che studio 100 supera il BTR 5 e la sua applicazione completa, un equalizzatore professionale, con la possibilità di cambiare i parametri per ogni singola cuffia e quindi tenerli in memoria. Mi chiedo cosa manca a FiiO con la sua decennale esperienza nella creazione di un'app simile? mi scusi per il mio inglese ☺

Fiio is on its way to roll out a firmware with nearly similar features like Radsone.
Maybe not the same, but with very similar settings, i hope. :wink:

Edit.
Welcome to head-fi, my the force, and your wallet, be with you. ^^

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #417 of 3,639
[QUOTE = "Chris Kaoss, post: 15400731, membro: 518305"] Fiio è in procinto di lanciare un firmware con caratteristiche quasi simili come Radsone.
Forse non è lo stesso, ma con impostazioni molto simili, spero. :xf_eek:cchiolino:

Modificare.
Benvenuto in head-fi, mia forza e nel tuo portafoglio, sii con te. ^^ [/ QUOTE]

Grazie per la tua risposta, sarei molto felice se FiiO riuscisse a creare un'app simile ☺

Jan 6, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #420 of 3,639
[QUOTE = "Chris Kaoss, post: 15400731, membro: 518305"] Fiio è in procinto di lanciare un firmware con caratteristiche quasi simili come Radsone.
Forse non è lo stesso, ma con impostazioni molto simili, spero. :xf_eek:cchiolino:

Modificare.
Benvenuto in head-fi, mia forza e nel tuo portafoglio, sii con te. ^^ [/ QUOTE]

Grazie per la tua risposta, sarei molto felice se FiiO riuscisse a creare un'app simile ☺

Welcome, but its an English language forum really and can't go translating what you post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back