[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,336 of 3,639
I've been searching online for the same question. Anybody here have luck with connecting the btr5 to a PS4? I've connected an es100 without issue, but can't seem to get sound to come out of the btr5. I've tried both USB 1 and 2 settings, and neither work. The display shows 44.1khz as if it's connected, but no sound comes out. Thoughts?
Yup, the BTR5 won't work on the Nintendo Switch either... I haven't tried the PS4 or Xbox - after some initial research the consensus is it's up to Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and FiiO to work together to get it working. FiiO needs to notify / push each of the others to work together to get it working - if that is even possible. @FiiO

The good news is that the new FiiO BTR3k is working with the Nintendo Switch, I just hooked it up and am listening right now. :)

The BTR3k @ $69 isn't too expensive to dedicate for use on the Switch. PS4 / Xbox - if those work with the BTR3k?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,337 of 3,639
Have you tried any other headphones yet? Do you still have your BTR5?

I was also running the BTR5 at low gain on my IEM's (2.5mm and 3.5mm) and high gain on the over the ear headphones (3.5mm).

Sorry it took so long to respond, it's been weird here lately - did I say that already? :)
Yea I still have it... I ordered a custom 2.5 mm cable for my Valkyries and I just ordered the Legend X, which is less finicky than the Valkyrie. I'm hoping the balanced will perform better on the Valkyries.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #1,338 of 3,639
For those who are using the beta version of FiiO Control app, please note that the official version has made it to the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fiio.control

Go to the link above, uninstall the beta and reinstall it from Play Store. It will works with the new BTR3K as well (which the beta version won't).

Apr 11, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,339 of 3,639
I recall someone posting about a possibly faulty 2.5mm socket on their BTR5?
Anyway, I have mine going back for a replacement due to the socket failing. It is usable but suffers from a poor connection, requiring careful positioning to work.
Hoping the replacement is more reliable.

Apr 11, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,341 of 3,639
Thanks!!

I got some Sony WF-1000MX3's which I'm going to try pairing to the XBOX by Bluetooth to see what that gets me :) The music quality was rather disappointing (good noise canceling though) but one thing I love is the ease of pairing them to my Fire Stick to watch the Expanse last night.

I was plugging my HiBy R6 Pro in as a USB DAC to my projector and then transmitting the sound to my ES100 with Lola's connected to that. It was a pain in the a$s to set up every time and I got some wicked latency. Could never get the lips to match with the words no matter what I did

Try using the XM3's EQ, it's pretty nice and it stays saved in the buds.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,343 of 3,639
@FiiO - my BTR5 has developed an oddity - the BTR5 connects via BT to my intended device - I get the "connect tone" and then almost immediately I get a 2nd "connect tone". And when that 2nd "connect tone" sounds I get no audio from the intended device. I can switch over to the "input" device and I hear the audio in low res single channel (mono), but the main connection audio is dead when I switch back to it (Windows 10 Sound Control Panel, selecting device). On my phone / tablet I only have the one connected BT device to work with, and I hear no audio.

On my Tablet I was connecting with BT LDAC just fine for many hours, and then out of the blue this problem started. The LDAC connection still showed up on the connected device, but the BTR5 after making that 2nd "connect tone" shows APTX as the connection. Tuning off LDAC option for the connection on the Tablet / Phone and reconnecting doesn't help. Unpairing and re-pairing without enabling LDAC doesn't work either. Each time I connect I get the "connect tone" and then immediately get a 2nd "connect tone" and no audio from the connected device. Plugging in the USB DAC works fine.

I have cleared the BTR5 pairings (on the BTR5) and re-paired on PC, Phone, Tablet - clearing the pairings (on each device) several times, and the same anomaly happens with each of them. I have turned off BT on each of the other devices - eventually I powered down all of my other devices in the house just in case something was grabbing the connection, and even with every device off when I power up the BTR5 I get that "connect tone" and APTX shows in the display.

I can connect USB DAC and it works fine, and on my PC when I disconnect my BTR5 is connected via BT but no audio comes through.

I tried this enough times that occasionally I get audio through BT connection as expected only to have BT audio stop working should I pause a video or change media, then I can't get the BT audio back.

The BTR5 hasn't frozen so the 10 second power button reset doesn't come into play - how do I reset the device in another way?

This anomaly also means I can't connect to the BTR5 via BT reliably to use the FiiO Control/Music app to reset except on a rare couple of times, and I used the reset to defaults and shutdown options, but that didn't help either.

I thought of re-installing the current 1.0.6 firmware again to see if that would reset the BTR5, but I didn't want to risk bricking the BTR5, as USB DAC mode works fine. Should I give that a try? Do you have a "1.0.7" alpha/beta I can try?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #1,344 of 3,639
Hi,

Is the current firmware more stable than the stock one? Should I update mine?.. I use it (BT) with Apple devices, PC Laptop, and an LG OLED TV.. Thanks.

Of course you should install the latest firmware as it will have the latest bug fix.

@FiiO - my BTR5 has developed an oddity - the BTR5 connects via BT to my intended device...

BTR5 remember the last 2 devices connected and has multi-points connection. That seems to be what bothering you. I'll suggest you force connect two devices in a row one after the other, then shut one down to check if the problem still happens

Apr 12, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,345 of 3,639
I’m interested in one of these. I currently have the es100, any real reason to switch? I’m happy with the es100.

Main reason would be better materials and haptics imo.
Also, tonality is a bit different. Mids are more pronounced than ES100. But that is more a question of taste.
On the other hand, app and EQ are way better with the ES100.

So in the end - if you are happy with what you have I guess there is no reason to switch!

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #1,346 of 3,639
BTR5 remember the last 2 devices connected and has multi-points connection. That seems to be what bothering you. I'll suggest you force connect two devices in a row one after the other, then shut one down to check if the problem still happens
Thank you for the suggestion, do you have any other ideas?

"I have cleared the BTR5 pairings and re-paired on PC, Phone, Tablet - several times..."

I cleared the BTR5 pairings by holding down up/down volume on the BTR5 while powered on - which clears all the device pairings on the BTR5, and powered off all other devices except the BTR5 and the device I was trying to pair - and I still get the 2nd "connect chime" right after the first "connect chime".

There is no 2nd device powered on for the BTR5 to connect to, and I cleared the previous pairings on the BTR5, so why does the BTR5 have a 2nd "connect chime" right after the 1st "connect chime", my BTR5 never did that before last night.

Also, after I cleared the pairings on everything including the BTR5, I re-paired with the PC, S20, S6 one after the other, so I've already been through cycling 2 pairings and after each pairing the same thing happens - connect chime then 2nd connect chime, APTX shows as the connection in the BTR5 display.

This all happened right after I paired my S6 Tablet for the first time with the BTR5, and switched LDAC mode on and off on the S6 options for the BTR5. That's as near a root cause as I can come up with so far. @FiiO

I've bought a new BTR5 (hifigo.com with DHL shipping) and will continue to debug this one, at least it still works as a USB DAC...

I'm using the BTR3k for BT and USB DAC... :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,347 of 3,639
I always was a bass-head, so I left my SE846 for a long while, first for the FiiO FH5 and later for the FH7. Sound was good.
Yesterday by chance, I did try the SE846. Boy, I was blown away by the sudden clarity of those. Compare to the FH7 which (now) sounds too boomy and slightly muddy, the SE846 is another story. Initially the sub-bass was not so pronounced as with the FH7, but then I tried the FiiO bass tips (adapted to the narrower SE846 nozzles with a small stem), the sub-bass is there; Now to stay.

Please do not get me wrong. the FH7 are great.
I will use the FH7 while mobile (with the SE100 or BTR5) and the SE846 at home with the Chord Mojo.

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,348 of 3,639
Since my cat managed to destroy my XDP-300R DAP I am looking into the BTR5 as a cheap but capable alternative, hooking it up to a Samsung A50, instead of buying a Fiio M11 or iBasso DX160.

Hopefully someone has the Samsung A50 / BTR5 combination in use and can answer my questions:
1. Will it play bit perfect using the USB-C out of the Samsung using Tidal HiFi and UAPP, so as DAC?
- Googled a lot but still can't find the definite answer, only that Android is upscaling everything to 192kHz.
2. If it does bit perfect, what to look for into a usb-c to usb-c cable specifications, or will any Amazon cable do?
3. In Samsung developer mode I found a list of available (= supported?) BT codecs included LDAC, does this actually mean it can use LDAC?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #1,349 of 3,639
I recall someone posting about a possibly faulty 2.5mm socket on their BTR5?
Anyway, I have mine going back for a replacement due to the socket failing. It is usable but suffers from a poor connection, requiring careful positioning to work.
Hoping the replacement is more reliable.

That was me. Haven’t got round to sending mine back yet as wasn’t given any idea of how long I would be without it given the need to post it to China from the UK. Will be interested to know how long yours takes to be looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back