[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 20, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #1,651 of 3,639
Well my last thoughts on the matter.
I actually reviewed the BTR5, and you can see that I liked it, indeed I preferred the USB to BT functionality .
so in no way was I bashing the Fiio.
it is just that in my opinion, my £90 ($120) was spread too thinly on many facilities that frankly Fiio managed to perform just adequately . I just wished (for my use) they would have picked BT and concentrated on that alone.
no USB hence no DSD or multi sample rates, no balanced output - but with far superior Sonic's, as far as BT LDAC could allow.
going back to your first line analogy:
you wouldn't put a working horse, to run the Derby! do you?
either a work horse, or a race horse , lets throw in show jumping and movie work on top!
I don't think so.
Poor thing is trying to pull too many tricks.
Is it a good product, absolutely .
does it look good, sure.
is it value for money , you bet.
is there anything out there that fits my requirements - please tell me. up to $200.

”is there anything out there that fits my requirements - please tell me. up to $200.”

I have no idea what out there would suit your needs because we may be using different rulers / have different expectations.

I am perfectly content with the BTR5 as a BT receiver - I have the ES100, the Hidizs W5, and the Hidizs W3 to compare it to and am happy with what I hear. I use it primarily for BT, but it is nice to know it will do as a USB DAC/Amp in a pinch - for that I am happy to have paid a bit more.

If I am looking for just a portable USB DAC/Amp I have perfectly capable 9038s gen2, Hidizs S8, minidsp il-DSP, and soon to arrive 9038s gen 3 and Lotoo Paw S1, all of which I will happily use if I want the best wired sound on the go. And my LG v30 is no slouch all by itself!

And if I am sitting at my desk I would forego all of the above and rely on my different desktop setups - DX7s & 789, M500 & Atom, or D50s & Geshelli Archel 2 Pro...

So, different horses for different courses... I don’t expect one device to do everything well, for that I expect to use different products. But I like that the BTR5 is a great BT device, in MY opinion, and apparently shared by a few others, and that it can do a passable job as a USB DAC/Amp in a pinch, useful if I don‘t have access to my other sources. I can’t carry my DX7s / 789 combo around as a portable unit, so the BTR5 has value right there :)

But I am not trying to convince you of anything. I know what I want and like, and the BTR5 suits me. I know that you like the BTR5 from what you’ve said, but it still leaves you dissatisfied. I really, and truly, hope you find something out there that meets what you are looking for. When you do, please let us know about it!

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #1,653 of 3,639
Well my last thoughts on the matter.
I actually reviewed the BTR5, and you can see that I liked it, indeed I preferred the USB to BT functionality .
so in no way was I bashing the Fiio.
it is just that in my opinion, my £90 ($120) was spread too thinly on many facilities that frankly Fiio managed to perform just adequately . I just wished (for my use) they would have picked BT and concentrated on that alone.
no USB hence no DSD or multi sample rates, no balanced output - but with far superior Sonic's, as far as BT LDAC could allow.
going back to your first line analogy:
you wouldn't put a working horse, to run the Derby! do you?
either a work horse, or a race horse , lets throw in show jumping and movie work on top!
I don't think so.
Poor thing is trying to pull too many tricks.
Is it a good product, absolutely .
does it look good, sure.
is it value for money , you bet.
is there anything out there that fits my requirements - please tell me. up to $200.
If you like it more on USB it simply means the rest is limitation of BT codec.
Every BT coded is not loosless. LDAC 990 seems quite nice, but I'm not sure which codec you use. For example on iphone you only get AAC.
So basically the only possible improvement on BT (by Fiio) would be to improve signal (SNR), whether it is achievable is different question...

May 21, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #1,655 of 3,639
So this is interesting. I was using the es100 with my hd600 just to listen to youtube videos. I switched to the btr5 to compare and I noticed a much different, and to my untrained ear, better sound. I really didn't expect this as I thought the es100 was great.

As I have mounted my es100 to the HD600, now I need to decide if the added weight of the btr5 is worth it!

May 21, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,656 of 3,639
So this is interesting. I was using the es100 with my hd600 just to listen to youtube videos. I switched to the btr5 to compare and I noticed a much different, and to my untrained ear, better sound. I really didn't expect this as I thought the es100 was great.

As I have mounted my es100 to the HD600, now I need to decide if the added weight of the btr5 is worth it!
I am sure you are doing it, but just in case do your very best to volume match... maybe even have someone double check for you if volume levels are matched... as you know, louder usually equals better to our human ears/senses... to a point anyway!

May 21, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,657 of 3,639
That's why streaming services and MQA are not truly benefiting music as an art form but more as a service based on profit. Just a thought. Okay men in black will be tracking me now...
MQA da snakes oil :D

Unless some one does measurements, I don't trust your ears LOL
But if you decide to go with the BTR5, ping me on the price of your es100 + ship :ksc75smile:

May 22, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,660 of 3,639
I was working while I listened to it. So nothing serious. Playing my The Cure playlist. I'm a big fan from 1980/81 or so and heard the songs very, very often.
The Sennheusers are about 10 yo and cheap.
But I've noticed more detail, better controlled bass but also, some songs, a harsh mid, voices.
It is deffenitly worth to give it a try again.
I wish you wishdom.

May 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #1,661 of 3,639
After a few days of use I was pleasantly surprised about the sound quality with my iphone and spotify on the go. Using an old set of Sennheiser buds. €25,-.

Same, this is my first time using a Bluetooth device and I was very skeptical of AAC however it was completely unfounded and my iphone/spotify/aac out of a btr5 sounds great.

May 26, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,662 of 3,639
Just bought, BTR5, still haven't update it or install the high performance driver.

But so far on wired mode, with 3.5mm, to PC, its so clean, clear, and have great separation. My (slightly more expensive) Dragonfly Red sounds like muffled with compared to this.
That being said, DFR seems to have thicker vocal but giving less emphasis on other instrument to reduce congestion compared to BTR5.

It reminds me to Xduoo-XD-05 who also have great clean sound, separation and soundstage. But BTR5 comes in much smaller form. I think XD-05 still have upper hand on the size of soundstage and a bit more clarity but its been awhile since i listen to it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #1,664 of 3,639
Hi @FiiO,
Is there a way to use the BTR5 as USB DAC without turning it on? Or using the power from the computer instead of the battery? Thanks
1. no
2. yes, you have to check "charging on", the computer will power the Btr5.
But be aware to get a bit higher temps of the device while listening to it.

Have a great day.
Chris

May 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,665 of 3,639
Just bought, BTR5, still haven't update it or install the high performance driver.

But so far on wired mode, with 3.5mm, to PC, its so clean, clear, and have great separation. My (slightly more expensive) Dragonfly Red sounds like muffled with compared to this.
That being said, DFR seems to have thicker vocal but giving less emphasis on other instrument to reduce congestion compared to BTR5.

It reminds me to Xduoo-XD-05 who also have great clean sound, separation and soundstage. But BTR5 comes in much smaller form. I think XD-05 still have upper hand on the size of soundstage and a bit more clarity but its been awhile since i listen to it.
High performance driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back