FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #782 of 1,870
I guess an app update can do the job. It can't be that hard to implement this feature. 5V OK, then turn on the device. No 5V, then turn off the device.
Dear friend,

Thanks for your kind feedback.
However, adding this function may lead to other problem in other function. And we don't consider adding it for the BTR3 currently. We will report to our product manage and check the feasibility in our new products.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #783 of 1,870
Hi,

Does it work with headset remote (volume, start stop + microphone)?

I updated the firmware, but the music app can still not find the unit, any ideas? Should I restart the phone? I’ve restarted the BTR3 many times.

I’m very happy with the unit, but the microphone is not performing very well. I tried using it in my car today and I had to resort to speaker phone. From what I read this is not expected?

This question might’ve been asked, sorry!
Dear friend,

Only the microphone and control on the BTR3 itself will work when using with the in-line remote control headphone.

You are using iPhone or Android one? Please try to reconnect and reset the BTR3 to see if it helps? Are you using the latest music APP version?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 20, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #784 of 1,870
Is there a Bluetooth 4.2 or even better a 5.0 USB adapter dongle I can get for my PC so that the BRT3 will connect and also do LDAC?

The built in Bluetooth on my laptop via the Intel wifi card is BT 4.2 and with Win 10, the BRT3 shows AptX in use.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #786 of 1,870
Hello, Head-Fi 'ers

I come disappointed after purchasing Fiio BTR1K, it's a good product, for the most part, it does it's job, I guess. Signal is great, no hiccups at all on steady streaming. Sadly, that's not it..
At first I thought that was just being paranoid, because it sounded great, I did expect sound degradation, from my research, and I thought it was minimal. I was excited for the new product.
Days went by, and then I realized that it's not right, I don't get the same feel for the music, it sounds harsh and distorted. Comparing and going back and forth between my desktop Dac/amp, usb-c dac/amp and this bluetooth receiver, going through longer sessions just listening to music, not overly analyzing, I confirmed my worries.

A quick hearing test proves more difficult to reveal, but when you finally relax your earholes and start to enjoy the music, it's just not there (yet, for bluetooth)
Even in MP3 320kbps (which I found difficult but possible to distinguish from FLAC 16/44.1) I heard noticeable degradation and artifacting.
Between MP3 320 and FLAC, distinguishing for me is definitely not consistent, maybe cause of my hearing, maybe cause of my equipment, maybe because of the music that I listen, which isn't emphasized for sounding Hi-Fi, but Hi-Fi enough to tell Analog from Bluetooth audio.

So my question is, do the more advanced codecs on BTR3 work better than APTX and SBC(even worse) on my BTR1K?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #787 of 1,870
In my experience, yes, LDAC sounds considerably better than aptX. Even the aptX HD is quite an improvement.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #788 of 1,870
Hello, Head-Fi 'ers

I come disappointed after purchasing Fiio BTR1K, it's a good product, for the most part, it does it's job, I guess. Signal is great, no hiccups at all on steady streaming. Sadly, that's not it..
At first I thought that was just being paranoid, because it sounded great, I did expect sound degradation, from my research, and I thought it was minimal. I was excited for the new product.
Days went by, and then I realized that it's not right, I don't get the same feel for the music, it sounds harsh and distorted. Comparing and going back and forth between my desktop Dac/amp, usb-c dac/amp and this bluetooth receiver, going through longer sessions just listening to music, not overly analyzing, I confirmed my worries.

A quick hearing test proves more difficult to reveal, but when you finally relax your earholes and start to enjoy the music, it's just not there (yet, for bluetooth)
Even in MP3 320kbps (which I found difficult but possible to distinguish from FLAC 16/44.1) I heard noticeable degradation and artifacting.
Between MP3 320 and FLAC, distinguishing for me is definitely not consistent, maybe cause of my hearing, maybe cause of my equipment, maybe because of the music that I listen, which isn't emphasized for sounding Hi-Fi, but Hi-Fi enough to tell Analog from Bluetooth audio.

So my question is, do the more advanced codecs on BTR3 work better than APTX and SBC(even worse) on my BTR1K?

I, for one, hear a HUGE difference in sound quality from AptX to LDAC. So much so, I won't use BT audio unless its LDAC, which means it has to be a Sony headphone, or a adapter, like the BTR3 that supports it.
I first discovered the amazing difference in BT codecs when Google updated the OS on my 1st gen Pixel a couple years ago and included LDAC support.
SBC and AAC is trash. Even with my vehicles Kenwood head unit, when it defaults to SBC, switching to AptX makes a very noticeable difference in sound quality.
But LDAC is still the top codec for Bluetooth.

If you are using the BTR3 in USB DAC mode, that is wired mode, note that it only works in 16/48 mode, not 24/96. IMO, as a USB DAC, the BTR3 is lacking. I find the Fiio Alpen 2 E17K to sound far superior.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #789 of 1,870
I, for one, hear a HUGE difference in sound quality from AptX to LDAC. So much so, I won't use BT audio unless its LDAC, which means it has to be a Sony headphone, or a adapter, like the BTR3 that supports it.
I first discovered the amazing difference in BT codecs when Google updated the OS on my 1st gen Pixel a couple years ago and included LDAC support.
SBC and AAC is trash. Even with my vehicles Kenwood head unit, when it defaults to SBC, switching to AptX makes a very noticeable difference in sound quality.

If you are using the BTR3 in USB DAC mode, that is wired mode, note that it only works in 16/48 mode, not 24/96. IMO, as a USB DAC, the BTR3 is lacking. I find the Fiio Alpen 2 E17K to sound far superior.

Totally agree on LDAC being the superior codec for now.

That's why I am straining my neck for the 8.1 update to my Hiby R6 so that I can use LDAC Bluetooth.

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #790 of 1,870

I guess I ought to wait for a *not confirmed* BTR3K aka updated BTR3.
Micro USB just doesn't work for me, I need USB-C so I can use the same cable for everything, and Bluetooth 5.0 for more stable connection, as I've heard 4.2 is struggling.

It's sad that the BTR1K didn't work out for me, I heard great things about it. And I thought I wouldn't have been able to hear a difference, or hear enough of a difference, if most of my music is 320MP3 or M4A.

Would You say that LDAC is indistinguishable from wired connection? Say at similar level the 320MP3 is to FLAC, obviously there are losses, just that APTX sound more like something of a 128kbps MP3 in some frequency ranges.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #791 of 1,870
Micro USB just doesn't work for me, I need USB-C so I can use the same cable for everything, and Bluetooth 5.0 for more stable connection, as I've heard 4.2 is struggling.

It's sad that the BTR1K didn't work out for me, I heard great things about it. And I thought I wouldn't have been able to hear a difference, or hear enough of a difference, if most of my music is 320MP3 or M4A.

Would You say that LDAC is indistinguishable from wired connection? Say at similar level the 320MP3 is to FLAC, obviously there are losses, just that APTX sound more like something of a 128kbps MP3 in some frequency ranges.

BTR3 uses USB C.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #792 of 1,870
I find the BTR3 has very stable connection with LDAC. Sound quality is excellent. Very happy with this purchase and I use it daily.

Dec 23, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #793 of 1,870

Hi there,

I haven’t used the BTR1K, but have been using the BTR3 for a few months now and I love it. This product has really changed my perception of what is possible with Bluetooth audio. My personal view is that you shouldn’t get too hung up on the codecs either. I have been using AAC to my iPhone and LDAC to my Samsung S8 and both sound fantastic. On both devices I’m mainly streaming Apple Music.

You mention that you need USB-C, well the BTR3 has it!

I also think you shouldn’t worry too much about Bluetooth 4.2 vs Bluetooth 5. Most of the benefits of the new version are not audio related and I find the BTR3 pretty stable in normal use.

From what I read, the BTR3 should tick all of the boxes in terms of your needs. As long as you are being sensible about the headphones you use with it, then you should be really happy with it! I would say if you are not, then perhaps your expectations of what is possible for a product at this price point may be unrealistic.

Just my thoughts!

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #794 of 1,870
in addition to using the BTR3 via Bluetooth, I am looking to use it wired with my Pixel 2. If I use this device via USB-C as a wired DAC, will the BTR3 stay charged via my Pixel 2's battery? Also, how is sound quality when using as wired DAC vs Bluetooth?

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #795 of 1,870
Hi there,

I haven’t used the BTR1K, but have been using the BTR3 for a few months now and I love it. This product has really changed my perception of what is possible with Bluetooth audio. My personal view is that you shouldn’t get too hung up on the codecs either. I have been using AAC to my iPhone and LDAC to my Samsung S8 and both sound fantastic. On both devices I’m mainly streaming Apple Music.

You mention that you need USB-C, well the BTR3 has it!

I also think you shouldn’t worry too much about Bluetooth 4.2 vs Bluetooth 5. Most of the benefits of the new version are not audio related and I find the BTR3 pretty stable in normal use.

From what I read, the BTR3 should tick all of the boxes in terms of your needs. As long as you are being sensible about the headphones you use with it, then you should be really happy with it! I would say if you are not, then perhaps your expectations of what is possible for a product at this price point may be unrealistic.

Just my thoughts!
But what about the statements that Bluetooth 5 has presumably 2X the performance/throughput, 4X the distance, and more stable signal. I mean, it's probably not that much of a difference in real life, but still.
I've read some controversial posts about LDAC, and if it also has bluetooth stuttering, and can't handle the maximum 990kbps bandwidth, it's probably not worth it to me. There are people saying that at the lowest setting 330kbps, LDAC sounds worse than SBC. And unfortunately Pixel 3 defaults to that setting, for some reason, I have a Pixel 2 XL. That doesn't exactly boost up my confidence, and yes, I know that you can change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back