FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #556 of 1,870
He must have a faulty one. Mines not dropped signal once to my LG V30.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #557 of 1,870
Read that, I think he has a case of faulty device, I have no experience of such bad connections like what he's describing in the article at all. Also at least 2 other commenter there also stated the same as me.

I think he should ask for a different device or buy one off the self somewhere just to check whether the connection issues persist.
I'm the commenter above your comment, I agree he must have a faulty unit. Mine didn't have those issues even before the firmware upgrade.

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #558 of 1,870
To be honest, the BTR3 does sound better than ES100 to me. I feel the ES100 sounds a bit too unnatural, timbre feels off, like the sound is over-processed to make it appear clean. BTR3 is better in this regard, with noise level as good as the ES100 while sounding more natural.

I have to agree. I thought the ES100 did a better job with bass but now i am not too sure. I will go back to testing both units but the BTR3 has been my daily driver and trying out the ES100 last night felt like the ES100 was missing something.

I don't think i have a faulty unit but i have seen some issues with bluetooth. Sometimes i can cup the device and it cuts out, others not. More times than not this happens. Which may not seem like a big deal but a hand on the waiste or however my body brushes against another body part etc will cause a slight hiccup from time-to-time.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #559 of 1,870
I've read all your comments and have tested and re-tested the BTR3. Again: 60 metres of line-of-sight, and it connects up to 10 metres. But when I use a power tool or chisels or grip tools for work and hobby (furniture making), it cuts out. I'm also comparing it directly to the uBTR and AirPods, which are now my benchmarks, and next to those two, BTR3 is a good step down.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #560 of 1,870
Did you test the range of different codecs? I.e aptx vs ldac? The less bandwidth of aptx might help with the range.

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #561 of 1,870
I have to say, I have 4 of these things now - including the BTR1 and the bluetooth on the BTR3 is the most stable yet. It definately handles the rush hour commuter train better than the BTR1 did.

Oct 26, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #562 of 1,870
I've read all your comments and have tested and re-tested the BTR3. Again: 60 metres of line-of-sight, and it connects up to 10 metres. But when I use a power tool or chisels or grip tools for work and hobby (furniture making), it cuts out. I'm also comparing it directly to the uBTR and AirPods, which are now my benchmarks, and next to those two, BTR3 is a good step down.

Your not taking into account the BTR3 you tested is likely faulty considering no one else seems to be having this problem. Internal BT antenna may have come loose (assuming there is a wire with micro mmcx type connector onto the circuit board).

Oct 26, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #563 of 1,870
I feel like the volume dropped off with the firmware update, is that possible?
I need it maxed with the phone also maxed to get good volume. If it is possible to tweak the gain that would be good.

Oct 27, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #565 of 1,870
Did you test the range of different codecs? I.e aptx vs ldac? The less bandwidth of aptx might help with the range.
I didn't find any meaningful differences in range, SBC, APTX, or LDAC. All extremely good line of site and mediocre to normal otherwise, but when touching skin or squatting whilst working or holding hand and power tools in the hand constant cuts.

Oct 27, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #566 of 1,870
I didn't find any meaningful differences in range, SBC, APTX, or LDAC. All extremely good line of site and mediocre to normal otherwise, but when touching skin or squatting whilst working or holding hand and power tools in the hand constant cuts.

Oh, cool, thanks :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #568 of 1,870
^have you tried configuring the Bluetooth and pressing the cogs?
If still no option to check LDAC on even there, we may be just out of luck. (also Xiaomi user)

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #569 of 1,870

Zeos of ZReview just did a Bluetooth receiver shootout of which the BTR3 (and uBTR) are in. Scroll to 26:45 for it, but watch the whole video (long, I know) if you're considering cutting the cord. It's a practical usage review, (not sound) so Z is good for that.
TLDW (Conclusion): 38:13

Dear friend,

We will try to check whether this function can work via firmware update in the future.

Best regards
Also Fiio, please change the volume up/down long press to next/prev track please. The way it is now is damn annoying. Who the heck think reversing that is a good choice? The Q5 doesn't do that, right?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #570 of 1,870
Exactly minus button skip to next song :) total wrong.
---

Anyone open yet BTR3 to see their components, battery etc. ?

Adding to above, now just tried it with my 150 Ohm HD660S and it fed them nicely too, but have to have volume at nearly max if I want to listen loud. Normal listening for me with the HD660S would be 2-3 steps under max. I'd think it would struggle with anything much more demanding. Saying that, I have no need to listen to my headphones over Bluetooth from my phone and would always use them wired at home. The BTR3 is for use with my SE846 (used 90% of the time) if I need to be wire free from the phone or my old Klipsch X10i (exercise/bike commute earphones).
It drive my HD600 which are 300ohm easly, volume are very very high, I even not max out because It's too loud.
With HD 660S should be piece of cake.
You have to set volume up also on source player to have higher volumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back