FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #340 of 1,870
Several DAP's use a combined 3.5mm as well. There switchable between line out and digital coax. The mojo doesn't have an amp in it so that is why it doesn't have an analog input.
I guess I was thinking about it in terms of output instead of input, it certainly makes sense for an all digital in device, but all digital out is where I was getting hung up. Thanks for clarifying, my head was stuck in the wrong end of the alley.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #341 of 1,870
You won't be able to, without Android 8 (Oreo). There are reports on the web that Motorola is just starting to roll out Android 8 to the G5S. You'll have more Bluetooth options after your phone is updated.

Thanks for the input.

In my apartment the BTR3 seems to have slightly stronger Bluetooth reception than the ES100. When I am down the hall and a room away I get some cutouts with the ES100...not with the BTR3...but that could be a synergy issue with my transmitter (a Chinese Bluetooth 5.0 model with Aptx HD & LL).

So with my Android 7.1.1 phone and current Fiio Music Android Software there is no way to select which of the many codecs you want to use. In my case the pairing of the bluetooth transmitter and the BTR3 results in an Aptx HD connection. It sounds great, but one of my reasons for choosing the BTR3 is its inclusion of Aptx LL. There is I think no way to select that with my transmitter. However.... with my transmitter/TV setup I am noticing very little lag with Aptx HD.... it is totally acceptable, and sounds great.

One key feature will be that when BTR3 support is added to Fiio Music you are able to save/memorize your setting choices so that they work outside of the app, and that particular phone. I think that is how the ES100 works.

It is undoubtedly unfair to compare the software/control sophistication of the BTR3 which is just now being released to the ES100 which has been around a lot longer with several Firmware/Software updates, but in its current state customizing choices on the BTR3 is very limited depending on your setup.

But it sounds great.

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #342 of 1,870
If you don't use EQ and don't have very hard to drive IEMs (KZ ES4, maybe Ibasso IT01 in the future), for active use think the BTR3 is the better choice due to the metal/glass build and metal clip? I'm not using balanced on the ES100 and it already sounds quite black to me, not sure there's much to gain by going balanced. Wondering if I should get the BTR3 instead.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #343 of 1,870
I very much want to see how robust the clip is on the btr3. I currently have the es100 and the clip fell off after 32 days of ownership. Radsone was kind enough to replace the unit, but the es100 clip is just not strong enough to stay attached to my clothing (it very frequently detaches).

I just spoke with someone at Audio46 (I am local to their store) and whomever is in charge of ordering the btr3 won't be in until tomorrow, so I'm not sure when they will have it in stock. I'm hoping very soon so I can get a hands-on impression.

Cheers.

If you don't use EQ and don't have very hard to drive IEMs (KZ ES4, maybe Ibasso IT01 in the future), for active use think the BTR3 is the better choice due to the metal/glass build and metal clip? I'm not using balanced on the ES100 and it already sounds quite black to me, not sure there's much to gain by going balanced. Wondering if I should get the BTR3 instead.

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #344 of 1,870
but the es100 clip is just not strong enough to stay attached to my clothing (it very frequently detaches).

Same for me, I've decided to return the ES100 for this reason, also the build quality and buttons are not great. Plus getting a Fiio F5 as I prefer the build quality and form factor over the ES4 (and IT01). My only gripe is that they seem a bit sub bass shy.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #345 of 1,870
The clip is certainly more solid in BTR3 and clip to my shirt better than ES100, but I can't speak of how long it will last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back