FiiO BTA30,Hi-Fi desktop bluetooth receiver&transmitter,RCA/Optical/Coaxial interface
May 6, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #451 of 584
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 22, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #452 of 584
I think my My Fiio BTA30's Optical Input port is defective. There is a popping sound every 5-10 minutes or so. It only happens when using Optical In. I've tried changing the optical cables and even bought new ones and the issue still remains on both cables. I also changed sources and the issue is still there. Using the same source and cable, I plug it in to another optical device (SteelSeries Siberia 800) and there are no issues, no popping even for hours at a time. So it's definitely the BTA30's Optical Input port that's the issue.

The popping only happens if I use Optical In. Using USB input, there is no popping. After all this testing, I'm pretty sure that it's definitely the Optical In port is defective. I even tried going from Optical In to RCA out, just to rule out that it's a wireless interference issue, but you can still hear the popping via RCA out. Anyone else run into this?

Edit: I can confirm that the optical in port is defective. If I use the exact same source and exact same optical cable and plug it in to an optical to coaxial converter, then plug it into the BTA30's coaxial in port, there is no popping issue at all. If I plug it in directly to optical in, the popping/crackling returns

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #453 of 584
I think my My Fiio BTA30's Optical Input port is defective. There is a popping sound every 5-10 minutes or so. It only happens when using Optical In. I've tried changing the optical cables and even bought new ones and the issue still remains on both cables. I also changed sources and the issue is still there. Using the same source and cable, I plug it in to another optical device (SteelSeries Siberia 800) and there are no issues, no popping even for hours at a time. So it's definitely the BTA30's Optical Input port that's the issue.

The popping only happens if I use Optical In. Using USB input, there is no popping. After all this testing, I'm pretty sure that it's definitely the Optical In port is defective. I even tried going from Optical In to RCA out, just to rule out that it's a wireless interference issue, but you can still hear the popping via RCA out. Anyone else run into this?

Edit: I can confirm that the optical in port is defective. If I use the exact same source and exact same optical cable and plug it in to an optical to coaxial converter, then plug it into the BTA30's coaxial in port, there is no popping issue at all. If I plug it in directly to optical in, the popping/crackling returns
Unless it's not the upsampling doing (can be switched in app), indeed seems like a defective opt in.

May 24, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #455 of 584

Dear friend,
Did you try another charger and usb cable for check.

If you are convenient, please turn off the USB and coaxial input mode via the FiiO Control app and check again.

Select DAC input source:
In DAC mode, the input priority goes as USB > Coaxial > Optical. If the BTA30 has multiple inputs at a time, these inputs can be freely switched through the App. (Turning off the high priority input will automatically switch it to the next one in order.)

3603127.png

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 26, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #456 of 584
I have always favoured cables for my connections but for convenience have started using bluetooth for TV and movies using a BTR5 to connect to my TV or Nvidia Shield.
Recently I purchased a desktop dac/amp and to get more value from it and a better quality sound I was looking at the BTA30 as a bluetooth receiver using optical to connect to my amp.
Does the BTA30 process the signal in any way or is it received and passed through as a pure signal? I've read reviews describing the mid range and bass sound qualities etc and was wondering if this refers to it being used as a dac and RCA out?

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #457 of 584
I have always favoured cables for my connections but for convenience have started using bluetooth for TV and movies using a BTR5 to connect to my TV or Nvidia Shield.
Recently I purchased a desktop dac/amp and to get more value from it and a better quality sound I was looking at the BTA30 as a bluetooth receiver using optical to connect to my amp.
Does the BTA30 process the signal in any way or is it received and passed through as a pure signal? I've read reviews describing the mid range and bass sound qualities etc and was wondering if this refers to it being used as a dac and RCA out?
In this use case, the BTA30 has to be in RX mode. It sounds ok for me, even if the DAC is not absolutely crazy, you have to deal with the codec of the TV … which is probably SBC. So don’t except an audiophile quality, but it’s convenient.
I have tried to pair 2 BTA30 to get LDAC, one for TV output, and and 2nd in RX mode, but it never worked.

May 27, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #458 of 584
In this use case, the BTA30 has to be in RX mode. It sounds ok for me, even if the DAC is not absolutely crazy, you have to deal with the codec of the TV … which is probably SBC. So don’t except an audiophile quality, but it’s convenient.
I have tried to pair 2 BTA30 to get LDAC, one for TV output, and and 2nd in RX mode, but it never worked.
Thanks for your reply. I can get LDAC from my Nvidia Shield to BTR5 so I assume it will be the same. I have a good amp so I expect it to be a satisfying level of sound.

May 27, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #459 of 584
Thanks for your reply. I can get LDAC from my Nvidia Shield to BTR5 so I assume it will be the same. I have a good amp so I expect it to be a satisfying level of sound.
Interresting, but I’m not sure of what you intended to do.
Is it something like :
TV > Bluetooth over LDAC > PC > DAC > Amp ?
How do you plan to use BTR5 and BTA30 ?
Something like :
TV > BTR5 > BTA30 > digital out or line out ?

May 27, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #460 of 584
Interresting, but I’m not sure of what you intended to do.
Is it something like :
TV > Bluetooth over LDAC > PC > DAC > Amp ?
How do you plan to use BTR5 and BTA30 ?
Something like :
TV > BTR5 > BTA30 > digital out or line out ?
Nvidia Shield or TV - LDAC Bluetooth > BTA30 optical output > TA-ZH1ES dac/amp

May 27, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #461 of 584
Ok so your TV casts natively LDAC over BT, which is really nice and pretty rare.

To overcome SBC limitations, I bought a 2nd BTA30, hoping to make a LDAC bridge.
Unsuccessful as I didn’t find a way to pair the 2 BTA together.

Help would be much appreciated, specially from FiiO please.
impossibility due to the lack of selecting interface to point to the BT device to pair with, is what I guess

May 27, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #462 of 584
Ok so your TV casts natively LDAC over BT, which is really nice and pretty rare.

To overcome SBC limitations, I bought a 2nd BTA30, hoping to make a LDAC bridge.
Unsuccessful as I didn’t find a way to pair the 2 BTA together.

Help would be much appreciated, specially from FiiO please.
impossibility due to the lack of selecting interface to point to the BT device to pair with, is what I guess
You'd expect them to be able to pair. Is it anything to do with LDAC requiring coax or optical and not usb? (* The LDAC format is only supported to transmit through optical/coaxial input, but not USB input) Just something I've read in reviews.
Fiio staff are pretty good at offering help - good luck.

May 27, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #463 of 584
You'd expect them to be able to pair. Is it anything to do with LDAC requiring coax or optical and not usb? (* The LDAC format is only supported to transmit through optical/coaxial input, but not USB input) Just something I've read in reviews.
You are right, in TX mode, LDAC is not supported with usb input due to some chipset limitation.
I only use optical (capable of 24/96 which is more than I need 😎)
The fact is that, whatever the codec is, the 2 BTA don’t pair together.

May 27, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #464 of 584
You are right, in TX mode, LDAC is not supported with usb input due to some chipset limitation.
I only use optical (capable of 24/96 whiis more than I need 😎)
In RX mode, I’m not sure that you can bypass the DAC stage of the BTA by outputting in digital.
Documentation does not mention passtrough explicitly.

May 27, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #465 of 584
I only use optical (capable of 24/96 whiis more than I need 😎)

In RX mode, I’m not sure that you can bypass the DAC stage of the BTA by outputting in digital.
Documentation does not mention passtrough explicitly.
I don't know how active this thread is but someone must be able to help with your connection issues, you'd expect them to be the most perfect pairing.
I suppose it doesn't matter about the bluetooth stream for me, it was just a matter of interest if different bluetooth devices that did passthrough 'added' a sound signature with some sort of processing or it was pure signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back