FiiO BTA30,Hi-Fi desktop bluetooth receiver&transmitter,RCA/Optical/Coaxial interface
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #408 of 584
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 11, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #411 of 584
Be careful if you buy the BTA30 for using with 2 headphones.

I bought one so we can listen to our TV with 2 Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones and am having problems.

The Sony's use the LDAC codec, but the BTA30 only supports 1 LDAC device at a time (Which I didn't see any mention of on their site when I was looking into it, but is expalined in the manual once you have it), and the BTA30 swaps down to the standard SBC codac when you connect 2 of them. In this mode, there is then a problem with sound, and when the sound goes 'low' (like when there is a speach scene, inbetween people speaking), the deivce seems to cut out the sound for a split second and you lose any very quite background sound(s) for a second or so. Then when they start speaking agian or it gets louder, it turns back on. Very annoying and distracting.

I've talked with FIIO support about it, and their anwser was 'Theorectically, they can fix it, but they could not promise when they could fix it', which didn't sound very promising :frowning2:

Also, you can't 'Daisy Chain' 2 of them. If you are using the Optical In, then the Optical Out doesn't work. So you can't try to 'fix' the problem by having 2 of them.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #413 of 584
XM4 only support SBC, AAC and LDAC, for TV you need AptX LL with 40ms latency
I know that the XM4s are LDAC, I made sure when I was searching for what headphones to buy, to make sure they had either LDAC or AptX.

That isn't the problem, as I am not getting any problem with latency when connecting with LDAC.

The problem is, that the BTA30 only supports '1' connection with LDAC and if you connect 2 there is a sound issue as it seems to drop back to the SBC codec, and I didn't find anything on the main BTA30 web page saying that. It was only in the manual... but I only had that once the device arrived at my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #415 of 584
can this provide LDAC transmission to a 2014 macbook via usb? I have fiio btr5, very happy with it, but my mac does aptx maximum, I need a better bluetooth transmitter than this. I think it does not but BTA40 or BTA50 will be awesome. Or be able to use another BTR5 or say BTR5K for this, would be great.

Apr 12, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #416 of 584
LDAC does NOT support multipoint connections, and no current chipset is. Bandwidth issue is among other reasons.
Should've done better research.
But then I wouldn't expect the solution they have to switch to some other codec that keeps cutting out the sound in "low sound " conditions. And their web site doesn't mention this, just that they support 2 devices and also LDAC. I did try to read as much about it as possible before ordering. It was only in the manual I saw that they said they only support 1 LDAC. They even replied to me and told me its a 'bug', but they just arn't going to fix it any time soon. :frowning2: I'm not sure how I could have know about this problem, without actually trying it. How could I have done 'better research' to find this was going to be a problem and that I would face this 'bug'?

Apr 12, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #420 of 584
i've tried maybe 8 different "wireless" IEM / TWS setups and this is sonically the best, above and beyond

Optical > iFi Spdif iPurifier2 + iFi iPower > Coaxial Out > BTA30 + iFi iPower > Fiio BTR5 / Qudelix 5K - LDAC > Cema CS Series 8 Core Short Cable 7N OCC Litz 2.5MM > Fiio FD5

i hear no difference with BTR5 / Qudelix 5K plugged directly to the source vs this

Also i tried a few different higher dBi antennas and the one shown in the pic is the best LDAC range i could get, i get no drops anywhere in my house / backyard

20210412_164904.jpg20210412_165456.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back