Fiio are starting to freak me out ...
Jun 6, 2011 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
From a company that had a single, tiny 'bass boost' amp just a couple of years ago into a company which seems to push new product out the door every 4 weeks : guys, I love my E9, but is our cosy little boutique audio world in danger of being swallowed up by this unstoppable juggernaut ?  
eek.gif

(they sell a lot more than amps - dont be misled by the E-bay sellers)

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 40
I hope so. I'm very happy with FiiO.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 40
Thats one of the things I like about the E9 - it doesnt have a specific 'signature' : arguably the most neutral amp I have heard (Marantz and Cambridge Audio dont make neutral speaker amps at the entry level, and I dont have much headphone amp experience, so it simply may be a reflection on my own choices)

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 40
Quote:
So things are only cool when they're not mainstream?

Hipsters, dude. Hipsters.

Still I agree with everything that's being said here about FiiO. Not just their amps and DACs, but also their wide selection of LODs and cables; they really filled a gap in the market with well-made LODs at affordable prices, unlike the ripoff boutique LOD business. Good bloody show, fellows.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 40
I agree about Fiio and their amazing value but ripoff is in the eye of the beholder. In the case of LODs beyond something like my Fiio L9 that I like very much, it's more about voicing than better or worse. I believe that certain cables can improve certain setups but don't think it necessarily makes it inherently better elsewhere. Nothing wrong with copper. I do have a few universal favs in home audio but even they aren't always the best in every setup. I find more young folks unwilling to believe in things that measure the same sounding different though it's obviously not limited by age. More a lack of experience in listening and understanding in that we may not be measuring the right things or dynamically.

I bought a Fiio E1 just for kicks and it was clearly worse than no amp on the Ipod touch I used at the time but that was never supposed to be it's purpose in life and I really liked the concept of it. They seem to now be on a very steep upward spiral.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 40

Quote:
From a company that had a single, tiny 'bass boost' amp just a couple of years ago into a company which seems to push new product out the door every 4 weeks : guys, I love my E9, but is our cosy little boutique audio world in danger of being swallowed up by this unstoppable juggernaut ?  
eek.gif

(they sell a lot more than amps - dont be misled by the E-bay sellers)

Reminds me of Audio-GD, tbh. I can't follow their product lines to save my life, and as a result have very little interest. Fiio does make absolute gold for newer members especially. The E7/E9 combo provides a cheap and easy route into a pretty hifi sound. They're definitely not the do-all end-all for audio, though.

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 40
i own a fiio e5 and fiio l3 lod and i couldn't be happier. together they cost $35. worth every cent

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 40

Have the E5 E7 E9 and a few LOD's from Fiio and the build quality/performance is just outstanding !

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 40
The company is definitely starting to dominate this market. Just take this forum for example; every other thread is about a Fiio product. Maybe the increased competition will help to lower the obscene prices some other manufacturers charge for portable amps.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 40
I agree they have gone up in their rep.  Just wish they add plain anodized aluminum to their all black color selection.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back