Fiio Andes (E07K) VS. Fiio E17: What's the difference, and how does it sway the amateur audiophile?
Dec 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

kamikaziH2Omln

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm new to the Audiophile world, and I don't think it is even fair for me to state that I'm an amateur
wink_face.gif
, but nevertheless, I was curious, as many probably are, about the difference between the Fiio Andes and the Fiio E17. As no thread has been created yet for this topic, I decided to create one so people could chime in with their ideas and thoughts on either. So, what are peoples thoughts? Also, what would you buy based on value, and what would you tell a beginner?

~Kami

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 76
Quote:
So, I'm new to the Audiophile world, and I don't think it is even fair for me to state that I'm an amateur
wink_face.gif
, but nevertheless, I was curious, as many probably are, about the difference between the Fiio Andes and the Fiio E17. As no thread has been created yet for this topic, I decided to create one so people could chime in with their ideas and thoughts on either. So, what are peoples thoughts? Also, what would you buy based on value, and what would you tell a beginner?

~Kami

The e17 gives a little more options for future proofing and has slightly better components.  If budget allows, I'd recommend the e17 over the e07/e7.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 76
I got the e7 because I like the rubber cover and the side buttons. I can't hear the difference between the e7 and the e17.

Dec 30, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 76
Quote:
So, the difference really is the added connector types?

Quote:
But how does sound quality differ in these products?

I like my E17 much more then the E7.  At first I thought it was 'new toy' syndrome, but after all these years, I still find myself bringing the e17 traveling (and still grudgeling dragging along the e7, just because it connects to my S3).

Here's a nice review: http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

Dec 31, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 76
Guys I think the OP means the new E07k, which is an upgrade to the original E7.  Here is a review that should help you compare the two.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 76

" Considering the E17 comes in at 290mW at 16ohms the E07k is not that far behind now in terms of amp powering capabilities though the E17 has the nod in terms of quality due to the superior AD8397 opamp chip. Both use the WM8740 DAC so no change there."
" It [Fiio Andes] is not as dark as the E11 thankfully[,] and not quite as detailed as the E17 (this is marginal but the superior opamp gives the E17 the edge)
"The FiiO E07k is an excellent upgrade on the aging E7. It brings all the latest features of the E17 including functionality and design as well as compatibility with the E09k desktop amp in a slightly cheaper package and slightly lesser amp than the E17. The upgraded sampling rates will certainly be more attractive to audiophiles on the go and keeps it up to speed with competitors newest releases."

So, the difference really here is the slightly upgraded amp in favor of the E17? And does it give a slightly more warm sound to the E07K due to the AMP chip difference? Also, since the DAC chips are the same and the AMP chip difference is negligible, this seems like a no brainer at the price difference ($89 for the E07K "Andes" vs $139 for the E17 "Alpen") It improved on the E7 via higher sampling rates and power output?

~Kami

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 76
So, the difference really here is the slightly upgraded amp in favor of the E17? And does it give a slightly more warm sound to the E07K due to the AMP chip difference? Also, since the DAC chips are the same and the AMP chip difference is negligible, this seems like a no brainer at the price difference ($89 for the E07K "Andes" vs $139 for the E17 "Alpen") It improved on the E7 via higher sampling rates and power output?

~Kami

Yep. You got the jist of it. Also another thing to consider when cmparing the two, is whether you want the extra digital input(coaxial, optical) options the E17 has.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 76
Unfortunately, I didn't have any devices that could utilize the E17's optical input. So, I can't comment on its sound quality, but if you want the flexibility of extra digital inputs, then the E17 is what you want.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 76
The Fiio E17 has a better amp (bit stronger) and supports [size=small]192K/24bit over SPDIF, the E07K only supports 92k/24bit because it lacks the optical/coax input (SPDIF). If it matters to anyone the E17 also has a bigger battery.

The price difference is justified in my opinion, The Fiio E17 is a slightly more dynamic device. As for the sound quality you get, as always, it's going to be subjective to the ears listening.
[/size]

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 76
I own both and to me the e07k is warmer sounding while the e17 is noticeably clearer and more revealing in comparison. Both using westone 3s and usb from macbook with same volume. E07k is more portable in that it has much longer battery life. Its also compatible through usb out with android phones. Other than that there is no reason to take the e07k over the e17 in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 76
Quote:
I own both and to me the e07k is warmer sounding while the e17 is noticeably clearer and more revealing in comparison. Both using westone 3s and usb from macbook with same volume. E07k is more portable in that it has much longer battery life. Its also compatible through usb out with android phones. Other than that there is no reason to take the e07k over the e17 in my opinion.

Alright. Well, I'm getting myself some heir audio 3.ai, and they are being made right now 
biggrin.gif
. I also own the Klipsch Mode M40's as well, so what do you think? Is the price hike more than justifiable in my case?

~Kami

Users who are viewing this thread

Back