FiiO AM3D-FiiO Releases the THX AAA Powered Headphone Amplifier Module AM3D
Nov 14, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #256 of 431
I have Q5S+AM3D with 660S. No need AM5, but I tried with that, and served more power. My opinion: Not enough max volume when I used as soundcard on Windows 10, I don't know why.
But! Enough power when use with Tidal (on Windows 10) Passthrough MQA Encoding (software decoding off) is ON and Exclusive mode is ON.
Enough power with iPhone (cable connection) too.

You can pump up a bit with a boost button (I didn't realize decreased quality when I used).

@FiiO should enhance the Windows 10 max volume on next driver update. For example, they can put a slider with + x decibels or so.
I have Apogee Groove, I had Mojo both was much louder on Windows 10.

660 are 150 ohms so bit easier to drive than 650/6xx which are 300 ohms.

But Ill try the balanced output as suggested by cevisi before going with the am5.

Dec 1, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #259 of 431
I just purchased a Q5s and am looking at the am3d. I have seen a comment saying that the am3e that I have on my Q5s is slightly warmer than the am3d, and another perhaps mentioned that the am3d could be fatiguing for long listening periods.
Coming from the xDSD I find the treble slightly brighter and there are some tracks I can't push the volume like I used to, I would like to have the benefits of the am3d but am just concerned if it is considered brighter than the am3e it might not be for me.
Can anyone please comment on whether the am3d compared to the am3e with the Q5s could be considered brighter and experienced fatigue with long listening periods?

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #260 of 431
@FiiO

Please let me know is this AM3D module discontinued or what?

Fiio India listed this module for quite some time in their website 'Coming Soon' category, but yesterday they removed it, Upon asking to their official Facebook channel they replied below at the Screenshot....At first, they said they trying to bring it but after couple of hours later they said Sorry Dude - it is discontinued.

What....

XJzH4NL.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #262 of 431
I found a good Black Friday price for an AM3D but had a couple of hiccups, which were actually major setbacks as it was from another country, but they have been sorted and it is on it's way to me.
I had contacted the local Fiio supplier and was told it is no longer in production and they could not get stock, and had this confirmed by contacting Fiio directly. I count myself lucky to have got one and for a very low price, especially compared to aliexpress pricing - if you're after one I would grab one ASAP.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #263 of 431
I just purchased a Q5s and am looking at the am3d. I have seen a comment saying that the am3e that I have on my Q5s is slightly warmer than the am3d, and another perhaps mentioned that the am3d could be fatiguing for long listening periods.
Coming from the xDSD I find the treble slightly brighter and there are some tracks I can't push the volume like I used to, I would like to have the benefits of the am3d but am just concerned if it is considered brighter than the am3e it might not be for me.
Can anyone please comment on whether the am3d compared to the am3e with the Q5s could be considered brighter and experienced fatigue with long listening periods?
I am probably one of the commenters you are thinking about. I do find the AM3D slightly brighter than the AM3E. Saying that, I have ended up leaving the AM3D installed and I really do love it, but I do tend towards shorter listening sessions, and often in combination with a warmer headphone so keep that in mind.

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #264 of 431
I am probably one of the commenters you are thinking about. I do find the AM3D slightly brighter than the AM3E. Saying that, I have ended up leaving the AM3D installed and I really do love it, but I do tend towards shorter listening sessions, and often in combination with a warmer headphone so keep that in mind.
Thank you. Most of my earphones and headphones are generally considered to be on the warmer side so it shouldn't cause any harshness, and I generally listen for shorter periods. I'm hoping to receive mine by Monday, I know not to expect too much but I am looking forward to some of the benefits I read about. I previously owned the Oppo HA-2 dac/amp which was considered to be on the bright side and found it to be a nice sound.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #265 of 431
Thank you. Most of my earphones and headphones are generally considered to be on the warmer side so it shouldn't cause any harshness, and I generally listen for shorter periods. I'm hoping to receive mine by Monday, I know not to expect too much but I am looking forward to some of the benefits I read about. I previously owned the Oppo HA-2 dac/amp which was considered to be on the bright side and found it to be a nice sound.
I wouldn't say it is bright, brighter by way of comparison, but not bright. I think really what stands out is how quiet and clean the AM3D is. It is a fantastic little amp and paired with anything warmish should make for a fantastic sound.

Dec 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #266 of 431
I wouldn't say it is bright, brighter by way of comparison, but not bright. I think really what stands out is how quiet and clean the AM3D is. It is a fantastic little amp and paired with anything warmish should make for a fantastic sound.
Thanks again. I didn't seem to find much feedback about it so couldn't get a solid impression of what to expect. My Sony ZX300 is on the warmer side and the xDSD I'm replacing with the Q5s is a bit smoother (described as musical is reviews?) so my ears are getting used to a slight increase in treble, which is perhaps a good thing as I now keep the volume slightly lower. The opportunity to simply change an amp module to gain an improvement was a benefit in buying the Q5s for me.

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #267 of 431
@FiiO

Please let me know is this AM3D module discontinued or what?

Fiio India listed this module for quite some time in their website 'Coming Soon' category, but yesterday they removed it, Upon asking to their official Facebook channel they replied below at the Screenshot....At first, they said they trying to bring it but after couple of hours later they said Sorry Dude - it is discontinued.

What....

XJzH4NL.jpg
Dear friend,

The AM3D has stopped production now. But some sellers still have this in stock,

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 9, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #269 of 431
Wow. You hardly started. I have been waiting for these to reach the UK and haven't been able to buy one, and now you stop making them. Crazy.

100+
Exactly that’s my point,

On the other hand if you see the M11 Pro which is only certified THX product at the moment, Well it is not getting the push FiiO hope for....because it is ahead of time, maybe next year it sells well but the company can’t wait that much longer due to other competitors and also because Dap makers are already established this concept that like our smartphones, Audio Gadget lovers must upgrade their existing Andriod Dap every year or in less time, because to begin with under the hood those are already one or two year old hardware / software combo.

On the other side of the line, People with X7, X7 mk2, Q5 and Q5s are getting the THX tech in their hands at very minimum cost. Now how to get more money from them in the name of THX wind / trend / gimmick / curiosity (read whatever you like).....Some body at FiiO (Read hired brain because they are big company now) saw this and immediately told the management to kill AM3D production in favour of M11 Pro sell.

This is my theory, feel free to prove me wrong.

P.S : Unless FiiO faces some licensing issue from THX which is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #270 of 431
I managed to get hold of an AM3D for my Q5s when FiiO released the first batch, and when I got back my fully repaired X7MK2 I got a AM3D for it through Advanced MP3 in the UK. I have been thinking of swopping the AM3D X7mk2 for a M11 pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back