Fiio A3 vs Q1
Feb 19, 2017 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

moyasoomra

New Head-Fier
Hey all.

I am looking to purchase a portable amp. My only available options are the a3 and Q1. I am able to get them at the same price so that is not a factor to consider.

So which one should I get? I will be using them with meeaudios p1.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 13
Hey all.

I am looking to purchase a portable amp. My only available options are the a3 and Q1. I am able to get them at the same price so that is not a factor to consider.

except for the earphones, we know nothing of your needs.... The Q1 is a DAC/AMP and the A3 is an amp only. What is your source? Do you need a DAC? do you need an amp based on your source etc. Give us some info so that we can help you better

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Hey thanks for the reply. I am using an iPhone 6s Plus as my source. I will be getting the amp with the p1 in a bundle (both are the same price) thank you.
Hey all.

except for the earphones, we know nothing of your needs.... The Q1 is a DAC/AMP and the A3 is an amp only. What is your source? Do you need a DAC? do you need an amp based on your source etc. Give us some info so that we can help you better

Feb 19, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 13
I recommend the A3 over the Q1; the iphone probably has a really good DAC chip so you won't need the Q1's DAC. Probably easier than bothering with streaming music via USB too.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 13
The DAC in the 6S may be good, but what about the headphone amp? Hooking up the A3 direct would be benificial but it would make sense you check out if there is a thread relates to the Iphone 6S and see what they say about just hooking up an amp

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Hey,

FiiO Q1 is a DAC/Amp while FiiO A3 is an Amp.
Both can improve the headphone output present on smartphones.

You should keep in mind that FiiO Q1 can work as a dedicated Amp just as the FiiO A3, so it's the more complete device.
FiiO Q1 can work as a DAC/Amp with most Android smartphones that are capable of USB Audio (you'll need a USB OTG cable in some cases)

As far as I recall, latest versions of iPhone iOS present some problems with a good number of external DACs, so it's hard to say whether the FiiO Q1 can be used as a DAC with an updated iPhone.

For those with iPhones, FiiO has designed the FiiO i1 which is a micro lightning DAC with the new "Made For IPhone" certification. I've tried a FiiO i1 with my brother's iPhone 6S and it worked very well.
I think those looking for high quality + high power output (using and iPhone as source) might be interested in using a FiiO i1 in line with a FiiO A3 or A5. That should get you the best of both worlds (High quality DAC compatibility and very clean high output power)

Regards,
Me x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back