FiiO 2019 Last Launch Event to Be Held on December 28, 14:00 Beijing time(UTC+8)
Jan 1, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #301 of 343
DSD isn’t as easy as it sound, the algorithms is everything. But if you just care about a lot of noises and don’t exactly care about sound quality then sure.

A very powerful PC and using HQPlayer can still have a very hard time to do DSD512.

Therefore, I seriously Doubt the M15 can do such. The M15 can do native DSD512 which the Ibasso Dx200 had been for almost 3 years now.

Anyways, there is no confirmations from Fiio yet. But I seriously Doubt it

“...a lot of noises and don’t exactly care about sound quality...”

Respectfully, you are commenting about gear or features you haven’t heard, and from your comments sound as if you didn’t know existed until I mentioned it. If you are familiar with the ifi idsd pro and it’s upsampling hardware and software, then I do sincerely apologize. The hardware AND the algorithms are everything.

A generic pc cpu, like say an intel i7, does some things very well, while it is outperformed by orders of magnitude for certain activities better done with dedicated chipsets. This isn’t an opinion; it’s a fact. 3D gaming is a very clear example.

I appreciate your input and speculation.

To @FiiO or anyone who has actual knowledge, can you confirm if all to dsd gen 2 samples to DSD64 as the original or higher?

Jan 1, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #302 of 343
“...a lot of noises and don’t exactly care about sound quality...”

Respectfully, you are commenting about gear or features you haven’t heard, and from your comments sound as if you didn’t know existed until I mentioned it. If you are familiar with the ifi idsd pro and it’s upsampling hardware and software, then I do sincerely apologize. The hardware AND the algorithms are everything.

A generic pc cpu, like say an intel i7, does some things very well, while it is outperformed by orders of magnitude for certain activities better done with dedicated chipsets. This isn’t an opinion; it’s a fact. 3D gaming is a very clear example.

I appreciate your input and speculation.

To @FiiO or anyone who has actual knowledge, can you confirm if all to dsd gen 2 samples to DSD64 as the original or higher?
*edit* nvm..
You did know that I did not talk about DSD Pro, or about it sound quality or how it sound right ? I was speaking the fact that DSD is and would be a lot of noises if not done right. Bad algorithms can also degrade the sound.

I still don’t know how a portable player with battery that is already feeding AK4499EQ x 2 can also do DSD512. If it was taking Wall power and desktop DAC then it is another matter

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #303 of 343
*edit* nvm..
You did know that I did not talk about DSD Pro, or about it sound quality or how it sound right ? I was speaking the fact that DSD is and would be a lot of noises if not done right. Bad algorithms can also degrade the sound.

I still don’t know how a portable player with battery that is already feeding AK4499EQ x 2 can also do DSD512. If it was taking Wall power and desktop DAC then it is another matter

Well, don’t feel bad. I still don’t know how the light switch works much less how you cram anything into a dap, so you are in good company.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #304 of 343
*edit* nvm..

Absolutely the impact on battery performance cannot be overlooked, but I suspect for those who care about DSD playback (I would not be one of them) would probably consider it a reasonable trade off. After all, if DAPs are to remain appropriately sized, multi-functional devices there will always be a need to limit the space allocated to batteries. Eventually the cost of smaller, more powerful battery cells will reach the point where consumer devices such as a DAP can hold a battery with quite a bit more capacity. Saying that who knows, some of these potential battery capacity gains may be lost to new consumer demands which will require the devices to provide even more power-consuming functionality. Maybe not though. Interesting times.

I think I would be very keen on a great DAP, even sinking in significant money into it if:

1) The batteries could be easily changed by the user without soldering
2) Amplification with the prowess of the current AM3D was included, but could be at least double the output current it produces
3) Bluetooth remained a high priority and was implemented in both directions equally well
4) WiFi remained a high priority
5) Adding new streaming services was easy and consistently successful in terms of full functionality
6) A system wide parametric equalizer and the horsepower to ensure it worked properly in all situations
7) Performed very well as a standalone DAC with the proper amount of output

Once all of these requirements were met damn if it wouldn't make sense to sink money into a great DAP. I know much of this list is already well on the way to being accomplished so I am looking forward to my first new DAP purchase in years just being around the corner.

A nice feature that I would enjoy seeing is a visual dock being made available to purchase. Picture having say a 15" screen that when the DAP was plugged into the dock provided a decent size display that took over the display functionality. That way you could sit back on the couch or in your favourite comfy chair and run the DAP say from a smartphone based remote. This would be particularly fantastic if the DAP at that time could act as a high quality Bluetooth transmitter so that you could stream to your wireless headphone if you wanted, but still allow the wired connection to be accessible so maybe have the video dock port on the side of the DAP. I'm just rambling here out of boredom, but for me having the ability to output video in this fashion would be nice. I currently like sitting back with JRiver and having a big screen while I use my phone as a remote. I like to see the album artwork or some type of visual stimuli as well. A dimmer control for the theoretical screen would also be nice for when you just want low light but still some visuals.

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #305 of 343
Well, don’t feel bad. I still don’t know how the light switch works much less how you cram anything into a dap, so you are in good company.
I don’t know what you meant by that.

@Sonic Defender . I know what you meant, and I love DSD playback too! What I was trying to tell here is that I highly doubt M15 can live conversion PCM into DSD512

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #306 of 343

@Sonic Defender . I know what you meant, and I love DSD playback too! What I was trying to tell here is that I highly doubt M15 can live conversion PCM into DSD512
I was trying to gracefully bow out of the conversation with you. You do not have anything informed (i.e. you have no first hand information) to add to the initial question. Instead, you are talking about “powerful PCs” with unoptimized processors. You, seemingly, are missing the point that, for some processes, a “powerful PC” CPU can be massively outperformed by a more purpose built processor, and contributing obvious statements such as the fact that badly converted music sounds bad.

I am asking to what rate does the “all to DSD gen 2” feature in the m15 convert the audio?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #307 of 343
I was trying to gracefully bow out of the conversation with you. You do not have anything informed (i.e. you have no first hand information) to add to the initial question. Instead, you are talking about “powerful PCs” with unoptimized processors. You, seemingly, are missing the point that, for some processes, a “powerful PC” CPU can be massively outperformed by a more purpose built processor, and contributing obvious statements such as the fact that badly converted music sounds bad.

I am asking to what rate does the “all to DSD gen 2” feature in the m15 convert the audio?

The "all to DSD 2nd gen" do DSD 2.8M

DSD 2nd gen.jpg

Source : https://www.fiio.com/m15

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #309 of 343
When when is the first review going to happened?

Also I am curious about parts, it said it uses the best quality caps, Panasonic tantalum polymers is that the same as in wm1z?

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #310 of 343

DSD 512 files are virtually non-existent, so it is a moot conversation.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #311 of 343
E9B45B14-0629-4BF4-B44E-58199107725E.png

My iPhone 6 did DSD128 via the onkyo app... it up sampled everything... considering when the iPhone 6 came out
I would think it is possible to do DSD512 for a dedicated device... Not sure if fiio implemented this on the M15 though...

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #312 of 343

My iPhone 6 did DSD128 via the onkyo app... it up sampled everything... considering when the iPhone 6 came out
I would think it is possible to do DSD512 for a dedicated device... Not sure if fiio implemented this on the M15 though...

this was my point exactly. Unfortunately, the m15 only samples to DSD64!

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #313 of 343
this was my point exactly. Unfortunately, the m15 only samples to DSD64!

Well I guess there will be an M15pro... the fiio guys just don’t know it yet... I wouldn’t brag about something that isn’t even on iPhone 6 level... perhaps a firmware update will at least bump it up to DSD128 (DSD 5.6)
I hope they are reading all this...

Jan 4, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #314 of 343
I am still not sure if I like the M15 simple rounded type enclosure, with an exposed volume dial, feels like a skinny rabbit with a lion heart that could roar right into your ears if you touch the volume dial by mistake, the m11Pro felt like a rhino in and out. The squarish design has been a bit of a controversy, it’s weigh though make you forget it (assuming higher weigh higher quality which is not always the case), wonder if it’ll be the same with the M15. I think Fiio could do us a favor and move right onto the M15 Enhanced (pro sounds too pro consumer as opposed to audiophile consumer). I am starting to like Cayin and their n6ii model with switchable audio boards, you want a specific DAC and op amps and you’re served. I just wish one could make it a tad smaller but we all know to allow swapping boards require a reinforced enclosure and special design to accommodate the boards.

@FiiO when will you setup the review tour, soon I hope?

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #315 of 343
I just want to know who is getting on the review tour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back