Field monitor headphone recommendations for videographer
Sep 5, 2009 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

acesea

New Head-Fier
I need reasonably good gear to add to my equipment. Generally, I've read Sony MDR-7506 recommended and used for this purpose but I noticed that they are dated. I wanted to hear from you all what is available presently that has quality as well as ruggedness.

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 15
The MDR-7506 is still a good headphone and I use the MDR-7509HD when I travel. But i you want a classic and very rugged monitoing headphone, consider the Beyerdynamic DT48. A few crazies (myself included) enjoy using them for music. They're one of the finest headphones available for vocals and acoustics. I believe that Nagra recommends them for field monitoring with thei equipment, as well.

I don't do any field monitoring, though there are a few members here who do. I think Acix does a bit of recording and so do a few others. Hopefully, they'll turn up in this thread.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 15
isn't the HD25-I built for this purpose?

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't the HD25-I built for this purpose?

Yes

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MDR-7506 is still a good headphone and I use the MDR-7509HD when I travel. But i you want a classic and very rugged monitoing headphone, consider the Beyerdynamic DT48. A few crazies (myself included) enjoy using them for music. They're one of the finest headphones available for vocals and acoustics. I believe that Nagra recommends them for field monitoring with thei equipment, as well.

I don't do any field monitoring, though there are a few members here who do. I think Acix does a bit of recording and so do a few others. Hopefully, they'll turn up in this thread.

The DT48 is the only headphone I know of that meets NAGRAs rugged requirements.. If there are more, name them... I'm probably the craziest DT48 Mo Fo on head fi.. So yeah..

Sep 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by acesea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need reasonably good gear to add to my equipment. Generally, I've read Sony MDR-7506 recommended and used for this purpose but I noticed that they are dated. I wanted to hear from you all what is available presently that has quality as well as ruggedness.

Funny about the dated mark.. The DT48 are from 1937..
beyersmile.png

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 15
HD25, easily. I'm sure that the DT48 is also an excellent fit, but it is much harder to find new or used and also costs a good deal more.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 15
Folding dj headphones are great for working with a camera and a cheap pair of iems as back up stuffed in camera bag is a smart thing. Some camera guy use custom iems and others just cheap stuff as they get lost/destroyed pretty quickly lots of the sony 75xx have been attached to video cameras.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for the responses.

Do the HD25 go over the entire ear? How does the Audio Technica Ath-M50 compare to the HD25? Would they be more comfortable?

I can find a new Ath-M50 coiled version for much less frn than the HD25.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 15
I own a television/video production company and we use Sony V6 phones. They are not the best sounding, but are rugged, easy to drive, which is important because particularly our camera headphone outputs aren't very good, which is why I wouldn't recommend Eytomic in ear monitors. They do a good job of reproducing sound overall, although not probably audiophile. I haven't heard the Beyer DT48 phones or all others. I think they can be gotten for around $70. Not only is initial cost important, but as someone else pointed out, they can get lost. We lost a pair last month.

Warm regards,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back