FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,046 of 3,064
@Furholden Enjoy my review! https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2017/11/17/fidue-virgo-a85/

photo_2017-11-17_22-54-40.jpg

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,052 of 3,064
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,053 of 3,064
They've definitely improved some areas and went for a much more elegant, premium appearance, but as a Fidue fan, I unfortunately also have to say that there are things that are a step back.
This was the risk I would say, because the A83 were already lacking in the mids area.
It's like they didn't want to cannibalize the A91 on purpose by giving the A83 a similar signature... or they just couldn't because of the missing driver for the mids, pick you choice.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #3,054 of 3,064
This was the risk I would say, because the A83 were already lacking in the mids area.
It's like they didn't want to cannibalize the A91 on purpose by giving the A83 a similar signature... or they just couldn't because of the missing driver for the mids, pick you choice.

The A85 is actually a three-way hybrid IEM with a crossover and one of the two BA drivers dedicated to the mids. They went for this (not all that uncommon and rather popular among several Asian hybrid IEMs) bright upper mid tonality on purpose to give female voices a stronger focus. Unfortunately, in my opinion, they overdid this by a few notches, especially since the A85, in contrast to the A83, lacks some lower midrange warmth to outbalance the elevation, which is a pity given that the A85's highs are more even/linear and that its lows have got more of a nice sub-bass focused lift. But yeah, midrange timbre is unfortunately a step back in my book.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #3,059 of 3,064
Okay, what are you thinking of?
Honestly, you've got a pretty decent set of IEMs already in the A73. Are you looking for a different sound signature? Because the A83 certainly was a different sound signature than the A73. A83 had more of a somewhat balanced, but v-shaped sig and the A73 is a much warmer tilt. If you're looking for something in the A73 sig, I don't think I can be of much help. But in the vein of balanced v-shaped sig, I've lately been enjoying the MEEAudio Pinnacle P2 which can be had for $100, though I think the stock cable is crap and would advise getting an aftermarket one.

I'd also say to pop into this thread. I frequent this most often and several of the people there have had experience with way more IEMs than I have spanning across more price brackets. I think you'll have better luck finding a new IEM successor if you just give an overview of what you've got and what you're looking for in a new successor IEM.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #3,060 of 3,064
Hey all, will a cheap standard mmxc cable still lock on to the A83 or does it have to be the exact same type? Got an opp for cheap used set but don't come with original cable just the monitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back