FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Jun 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,771 of 3,064
  It's just too hot to have something wrapped around my head. So while these won't accompany me on the bus and through the streets like my Supra 2, they're gonna be great for plugging into my desktop setup with all this heat around.

Wait a second - you are in Seattle. It hasn't broken 80 degrees yet 
biggrin.gif
 Come on over to the High Desert down the coast and I'll show you heat - lol.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,772 of 3,064
  Wait a second - you are in Seattle. It hasn't broken 80 degrees yet 
biggrin.gif
 Come on over to the High Desert down the coast and I'll show you heat - lol.

It has! It was like 82-84 for the past 3 days! Plus, I'm on the 3rd (top) floor of my apartment complex with no A/C. Heats rises man, SCIENCE! Besides, you know us Washingtonians, we're not used to heat up here
tongue.gif
. I like my summers to be a nice and temperate 75 lol. I'll avoid the high desert thank you very much haha.

Jun 10, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,773 of 3,064
  @H20Fidelity, I almost understand now what you're talking about comparing the A83 and the 1Plus2. I just got a set of 1Plus2s in a trade (not sure what version though I dunno how much that matters) and it sounds quite good. I can't compare it to the A83 yet as Michael's still dealing with the supply issues, but I'll hopefully be able to figure out what you've heard in the future when I get a set back.

I highly doubt these will replace my Supra 2 as my out-and-about set as the fit on those are phenomenal in addition to the fantastic sound quality. They don't sound as good as these, which are a very well-done implementation of the core idea of BA+Dynamic, but portability is easily a strong suit for the Supra 2 that the 1Plus2 cannot touch. This 1Plus2 is going to be awesome for me though since it's summer now and headphones just don't work well for me during the summer. It's just too hot to have something wrapped around my head. So while these won't accompany me on the bus and through the streets like my Supra 2, they're gonna be great for plugging into my desktop setup with all this heat around.

I'm 99% confident it will be the revised version. If you can send me a picture via PM I can confirm for you. 

When it comes to soundstage and cohesiveness A83 cannot match 1Plus2, I don't think it needs to considering the price difference. Though with further testing these past few days A83 can still hold its on in regards to note weight (preference) and detail retrieval. Its esecpailly good with vocals, but at the end of the day 1Plus2 is simply a technical expertise. Along with the high-end timbre and clarity, it sounds quite professional.

Funny actually, I've been using A83 the past day still extremly happy with them.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,774 of 3,064

I'm 99% confident it will be the revised version. If you can send me a picture via PM I can confirm for you. 

When it comes to soundstage and cohesiveness A83 cannot match 1Plus2, I don't think it needs to considering the price difference. Though with further testing these past few days A83 can still hold its on in regards to note weight (preference) and detail retrieval. Its esecpailly good with vocals, but at the end of the day 1Plus2 is simply a technical expertise. Along with the high-end timbre and clarity, it sounds quite professional.

Funny actually, I've been using A83 the past day still extremly happy with them.

I would guess it's the revised version. It's all black, checkered/carbon fiber pattern faceplate under the clear acrylic.

The A83 doesn't have to match up to the 1Plus2 as far as I'm concerned. This sort of comparison is like comparing the A83 to the VSD3/S. It's not as much of a comparison to say which is better as much as comparison by way of benchmark. While no one should expect something like the A83 to be in the same class as the 1Plus2, it nevertheless offers a great benchmark reference to describe the prowess of the 1Plus2.

I like IEM A and it's very good. I've let you know of what I think of IEM A in order for you to understand what I think of IEM B, though I'm well aware of the difference in pricing.

In this case, yes the A83 is an incredibly capable IEM at its price point. But when an IEM costs over $1k, then there was obviously a fair bit of research into how to make it sound phenomenal and, in this case, the results reflect that. Pricing for things like this will never make logical sense (law of diminishing returns), but that's not to say the pricing structure isn't understandable. I'm enjoying my time with the 1Plus2, damn good IEM.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #1,775 of 3,064

I would guess it's the revised version. It's all black, checkered/carbon fiber pattern faceplate under the clear acrylic.

The A83 doesn't have to match up to the 1Plus2 as far as I'm concerned. This sort of comparison is like comparing the A83 to the VSD3/S. It's not as much of a comparison to say which is better as much as comparison by way of benchmark. While no one should expect something like the A83 to be in the same class as the 1Plus2, it nevertheless offers a great benchmark reference to describe the prowess of the 1Plus2.

I like IEM A and it's very good. I've let you know of what I think of IEM A in order for you to understand what I think of IEM B, though I'm well aware of the difference in pricing.

In this case, yes the A83 is an incredibly capable IEM at its price point. But when an IEM costs over $1k, then there was obviously a fair bit of research into how to make it sound phenomenal and, in this case, the results reflect that. Pricing for things like this will never make logical sense (law of diminishing returns), but that's not to say the pricing structure isn't understandable. I'm enjoying my time with the 1Plus2, damn good IEM.

Yep, that's the revised version you have, the older model which there are very few of in circulation looks like this. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770436/aus-tralucent-1plus2-old-version

It was a good hybrid, but not on the same level as the new version. (I used to own that very IEM in the link)

I think we got a little lost in translation though, I think both are excellent hybrids at their price point too. and $1k is a lot of money by my standards, it was simply something the Head-Fi addiction and my needs for audio wouldn't leave me alone since my home audition a year or two ago. Now I have that I'm just content knowings it here as much as listening.

I like looking at A83 like a mini 1Plus2, a little brother version with a few altered areas. 
smile.gif

I'd love to see what Fidue could accomplish entering the same high-end bracket!

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,777 of 3,064
I love my A83, but I love my 846 more.  :smile:

How many times have you removed your A83 cable roughly now without any problems ? You're living proof A83 can survive in the wild. (I know it's at least a few times)

I've never detached my cable, they get a very easy life around the house. Never been outside actually since they arrived.

Jun 11, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,778 of 3,064

Yep, that's the revised version you have, the older model which there are very few of in circulation looks like this. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770436/aus-tralucent-1plus2-old-version

It was a good hybrid, but not on the same level as the new version. (I used to own that very IEM in the link)

I think we got a little lost in translation though, I think both are excellent hybrids at their price point too. and $1k is a lot of money by my standards, it was simply something the Head-Fi addiction and my needs for audio wouldn't leave me alone since my home audition a year or two ago. Now I have that I'm just content knowings it here as much as listening.

I like looking at A83 like a mini 1Plus2, a little brother version with a few altered areas. 
smile.gif

I'd love to see what Fidue could accomplish entering the same high-end bracket!

Chinese companies have started to churn out some very enticing and great products in the past decade. VSonic, Dunu, Fidue, Tralucent, just to name a few. I've had a chance to listen to IEMs from 3 of those 4 companies and I've liked what I've heard every time. And sometimes (most evident with VSonic for me), I wonder how in the heck they're able to make something sound so good for such a price.

I feel like Fidue could put some R&D into something approaching that tier if they get even more sales of the A83 and if they get solidly good sales out of the recently released A73. For all we know, it might even actually be a pipe dream for the boys at Fidue.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,779 of 3,064

Chinese companies have started to churn out some very enticing and great products in the past decade. VSonic, Dunu, Fidue, Tralucent, just to name a few. I've had a chance to listen to IEMs from 3 of those 4 companies and I've liked what I've heard every time. And sometimes (most evident with VSonic for me), I wonder how in the heck they're able to make something sound so good for such a price.

I feel like Fidue could put some R&D into something approaching that tier if they get even more sales of the A83 and if they get solidly good sales out of the recently released A73. For all we know, it might even actually be a pipe dream for the boys at Fidue.
wink.gif

an average Tenured Lecturer in the prominent public university in the country can only get ~$600~$700 salary, no joke. Now imagine the salary of those replacable blue-collar workers...
That's how you get Hifiman churning out he-40i0i for $400 already via dealers and vSonic and these others China companies.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #1,780 of 3,064

wink.gif

While not always Chinese (although many are) I'm all about smaller IEM companies in general.

They seem left no choice but make their IEM's excel at their price points. Competition is also fierce in China I imagine, if a product doesn't stand out it will simply fall to the bottom of the ocean. What this means for us is better performance than commonly found in mainstream brands at the same price point.

Sony or Sennheiser may be good examples. Their tuning is often warm, safe, semi-consumer orientated, while I agree they make some nice sounding gear (HD25, Amperior) they always seem to retain a safe tuning method, one that limits fatigue, ie; warmer, smoother. Not ideal for those of us seeking a daring, bright, vivid presentation. That's where you cue Fidue, Dunu, Tralucent etc and why I like smaller, boutique, niche IEM makers.

They're more daring basically.

Jun 11, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #1,781 of 3,064
How many times have you removed your A83 cable roughly now without any problems ? You're living proof A83 can survive in the wild. (I know it's at least a few times)

I've never detached my cable, they get a very easy life around the house. Never been outside actually since they arrived.

Three or four times (I switch out my balanced cables for the stock one and back).  

Jun 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,782 of 3,064

While not always Chinese (although many are) I'm all about smaller IEM companies in general.

They seem left no choice but make their IEM's excel at their price points. Competition is also fierce in China I imagine, if a product doesn't stand out it will simply fall to the bottom of the ocean. What this means for us is better performance than commonly found in mainstream brands at the same price point.

Sony or Sennheiser may be good examples. Their tuning is often warm, safe, semi-consumer orientated, while I agree they make some nice sounding gear (HD25, Amperior) they always seem to retain a safe tuning method, one that limits fatigue, ie; warmer, smoother. Not ideal for those of us seeking a daring, bright, vivid presentation. That's where you cue Fidue, Dunu, Tralucent etc and why I like smaller, boutique, niche IEM makers.

They're more daring basically.

I like the spirit that those smaller companies come with. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't, but they have the spirit to try to buck the normal trend and offer something new or something different at a price that can get them off the ground. I admire that kinda drive. Stumbled onto a couple of KS campaigns like that; Trinity Audio that Brooko's done testing for and through that thread, somehow got to Flare Audio as well. Looking forward to trying all these offerings out.

an average Tenured Lecturer in the prominent public university in the country can only get ~$600~$700 salary, no joke. Now imagine the salary of those replacable blue-collar workers...
That's how you get Hifiman churning out he-40i0i for $400 already via dealers and vSonic and these others China companies.

Oh yeah, I have no doubt that it's basically just like a higher-skill-needed version of Nike manufacturing. Cheap labor = cheap products. Then add the terrible exchange rate between the Yuan and US$ and you end up with products that sound great, but cost less than equivalents made in other countries.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,784 of 3,064
How about a81 vs A83, or vs Dunu Titan. I see no one making these comparisons and I am pulling the plug on one of these three soon. Any suggestions? A little aside, they will see a lot of outside use, but not at the gym

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,785 of 3,064
I have the A83 and the Titans. They both have similar sounds...ish but the A83's are far superiour in all ways
The best thing I can think of to describe the difference...without going into technicals would be...
I think I would be happy to use the Titans on holiday to give a good enough audiophile like experience but I 
know I would be pining for the A83's by the end! :)

I love and enjoy them both, but for serious critical listening = the A83 every time.
I dont know if that helps, I could say more if pressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back