FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Oct 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #286 of 3,064
  Westone and Shure are more warm and tube like, while A83 has clearer, more analytical(typical TWFK) sound.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The A83 is like a Fischer DBA-02 with better, warmer bass whereas the Shures are thicker and lusher with an emphasis on mids due to the slightly rolled-off treble. I can't comment on the Westones.

What are you looking for and what sort of sound / music do you like?

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #287 of 3,064

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The A83 is like a Fischer DBA-02 with better, warmer bass whereas the Shures are thicker and lusher with an emphasis on mids due to the slightly rolled-off treble. I can't comment on the Westones.

What are you looking for and what sort of sound / music do you like?

ah ok. nicely described. i actually prefer a more tube amp like sound and I loved the westone 3 before. I'm on noble audio K10 right now and will never give that up but sometimes I do yearn for a universal for the convenience which is why i'm looking around and found what i'm looking for.....I managed to snag a Westone W30 @ $300 USD brand new in box. It's been lauded as the improved Westone 3.

cheers to you guys in this thread, i ALMOST pulled the trigger for the Fidue

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #288 of 3,064
Holy crap!!!  I was going to be smart and burn-in my new 83s in for a few hours first, before using them.  Then I thought, I should try them just to see what they sound like, so I can compare pre/post early burn-in.  

Wow.  If they get better, I'm a happy camper.  The sound is definitely an upgrade from the Altone200 (which I still love).  Smo0ooth, good bass, really good treble, incredible mids.  

Listening to Donald Fagen's The Nightfly in DSF. Wooooo!  Also tried some 16/44 stuff, from the 60s.  Sounded great.  

Can't wait to put a hundred hours on these and see how much better they get.  
L3000.gif

Oh, and the seller, in Hong Kong, had the/has the cheapest price at $299.00 USD + free shipping.  And it got to me in 8 days and that includes sitting over the weekend in the LA post office and then being driven to another PO on Monday, a national holiday.  I got them today (Tuesday).  That's record time from my experience.   His name on eBay US is digital.852 and I highly (well, I'm not high, you know what I mean) recommend him.    

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #289 of 3,064
  Holy crap!!!  I was going to be smart and burn-in my new 83s in for a few hours first, before using them.  Then I thought, I should try them just to see what they sound like, so I can compare pre/post early burn-in.  

Wow.  If they get better, I'm a happy camper.  The sound is definitely an upgrade from the Altone200 (which I still love).  Smo0ooth, good bass, really good treble, incredible mids.  

Listening to Donald Fagen's The Nightfly in DSF. Wooooo!  Also tried some 16/44 stuff, from the 60s.  Sounded great.  

Can't wait to put a hundred hours on these and see how much better they get.  
L3000.gif

Oh, and the seller, in Hong Kong, had the/has the cheapest price at $299.00 USD + free shipping.  And it got to me in 8 days and that includes sitting over the weekend in the LA post office and then being driven to another PO on Monday, a national holiday.  I got them today (Tuesday).  That's record time from my experience.   His name on eBay US is digital.852 and I highly (well, I'm not high, you know what I mean) recommend him.    

Excellent! Really pleased to hear this. It is likely they might smooth out a little with a few hours on them.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #291 of 3,064
  Well, here's my impression...
It's a hyperlink, just because I don't think head-fi admin likes it when I post reviews from other sites.

I though overall, A83 were the best hybrid in it's class.

Good review.  Was interested to follow your thoughts, as I remember that in the beginning you thought the 'hype' wasn't justified, and that they were average sounding.  It's amazing how much their balanced sound signature grows on you over time. They remain my favourite IEMs - and a good example of what a well tuned hybrid is capable of - especially at this price range.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #293 of 3,064
I replaced the stock tips with Comply Isolation 500 Ls and now the A83 stay in my ears a bit better when I walk.  I also added a chin slider and that helps with cable noise (I wear glasses and I'm walking while listening).   I've also got about 6 hours on them so far, so some burn-in has happened.  I think the Complys changed the sound a bit, the bass seems a bit thumper , the mids a bit fuller and the high trebles seem a bit less high.  I'm going to keep experimenting with them, and burning-in as well.  But so far they are just superb.  Oh, and I have the volume on the X5 turned down to the high 50s/low 60s for most tracks, a good 10 steps lower than with my Altones.  Some tracks even need to be turned down to the upper 40s!  Pretty impressive.  

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #295 of 3,064
They don't have a lot of top to bottom and/or depth, but soundstage is wide enough and instrument/vocal placement is very good.  Clarity and smoothness are wonderful.  I listen while I walk so, for me, they work just fine.  I rarely sit in a chair doing critical listening.   I'm not having any issues with the treble peak/dip (I saw the fq diagram before I bought them).  They are a definite upgrade to my Altone200s (which are also quite good for my listening uses).  I'm now pairing those with a Fiio X1.  

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #296 of 3,064
  I replaced the stock tips with Comply Isolation 500 Ls and now the A83 stay in my ears a bit better when I walk.  I also added a chin slider and that helps with cable noise (I wear glasses and I'm walking while listening).   I've also got about 6 hours on them so far, so some burn-in has happened.  I think the Complys changed the sound a bit, the bass seems a bit thumper , the mids a bit fuller and the high trebles seem a bit less high.  I'm going to keep experimenting with them, and burning-in as well.  But so far they are just superb.  Oh, and I have the volume on the X5 turned down to the high 50s/low 60s for most tracks, a good 10 steps lower than with my Altones.  Some tracks even need to be turned down to the upper 40s!  Pretty impressive.  

I used Comply T400's , they were the only ones so far to keep them in my ears. After about 40+ hours of burn in and 20+ hours of listening, i can say i agree with the reviews. I really like the way they sound. The only things i feel missing are lack of Sub Bass impact,
When i play "I dont trust myself by John Mayer (Where the light is) on my M50's i usually bump the 25 and 35 hz band by 4 and 3 dbs while dipping 70 to 100 by 2 db. The drum has a such a sweet impact i just grin with pleasure. But while on Fidue's i feel they simply lack the impact with even more aggressive equalization. I do know they go low but i believe the impact is just less in quantity.

But sadly for me, the isolation is becoming a really big annoyance. Even with the comply tips while sitting in a office environment i can hear someone talk about 20 feet away. I cant really tell what they are talking about if music is playing at a moderate volume though. But its really annoying. While walking down the street i can hear everything around me.
triportsad.gif

It was a mistake not to pay attention to the isolation while searching for new IEM' but now i realize that was the exact reason why i needed them.

Any thoughts on how good is the Isolation, sub bass impact and clarity of Sennheiser IE80 vs Fidue A83's ?  I cant find any direct comparisons. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #297 of 3,064
My review is up for reading.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a83-reference-class-triple-hybrid-iem/reviews/11767

Please bare with me though as the typing box while writting was lagging terribly and I was losing response to the cursor. (almost did my head in)
I have published the review and need to proof read  / edit it there as it doesn't lag. So any errors are being cleaned up atm.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #298 of 3,064
  My review is up for reading.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a83-reference-class-triple-hybrid-iem/reviews/11767

Please bare with me though as the typing box while writting was lagging terribly and I was losing response to the cursor. (almost did my head in)
I have published the review and need to proof read  / edit it there as it doesn't lag. So any errors are being cleaned up atm.

Absolutely fantastic review mate, well done...

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #299 of 3,064
  When i play "I dont trust myself by John Mayer (Where the light is) on my M50's i usually bump the 25 and 35 hz band by 4 and 3 dbs while dipping 70 to 100 by 2 db. The drum has a such a sweet impact i just grin with pleasure. But while on Fidue's i feel they simply lack the impact with even more aggressive equalization. I do know they go low but i believe the impact is just less in quantity.

I just tried this track on my LCD 2s and you're right about the nice punch in the kick on this recording. It's not overdone - just really clean and punchy. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back