Fidelio X2 vs Potential of HD600/650
May 2, 2015 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

biomedengineer

New Head-Fier
I'm fairly new to the audiophile world and I like to get value without going too far past the point of diminishing returns. By that I mean I won't be spending thousands to get an extra 10% of performance. On top of that, I only have a beginner's discerning ears. 

With that in mind, I'm sorta of regretting trading in my HD 600 for a Fidelio X2. I've only used a cheap hybrid tube amp, Bravo V2 with the 600 and was somewhat happy with the performance. When after reading reviews that were saying the X2 were at least as good or better than the 600, I returned it and got the X2. It looked a lot cooler too. But when actually trying it out, I don't think I like it as much. It's heavy and clunky, whereas the 600 was light and very comfortable for me. I hated the faux marble design though. The bass on the X2 seems a bit overpowering and I think the HD600 has more clarity. I can't AB since I've returned it.

I have an O2 amp on the way and maybe I'll like Fidelio's sound more. But gosh, I miss the 600. So right now Adorama has a sale for the HD650 for $275 and I'm torn. If the bass of the 650 is between the 600 and X2, that might be perfect. The subtler design of the 650 is more my taste too. 

So my question is should I give the X2 another chance (running without amp currently) with the O2 on the way and risk the sale ending? And keeping my beginner's listening skills in mind, will the scalability of the 650 or 600 be huge? If I get a Bottlehead Crack ($300-400 is as much as I'm willing to spend for an amp) or similar, is that combo very much more satisfying than an X2 + O2 amp?

May 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 15
  I'm fairly new to the audiophile world and I like to get value without going too far past the point of diminishing returns. By that I mean I won't be spending thousands to get an extra 10% of performance. On top of that, I only have a beginner's discerning ears. 

With that in mind, I'm sorta of regretting trading in my HD 600 for a Fidelio X2. I've only used a cheap hybrid tube amp, Bravo V2 with the 600 and was somewhat happy with the performance. When after reading reviews that were saying the X2 were at least as good or better than the 600, I returned it and got the X2. It looked a lot cooler too. But when actually trying it out, I don't think I like it as much. It's heavy and clunky, whereas the 600 was light and very comfortable for me. I hated the faux marble design though. The bass on the X2 seems a bit overpowering and I think the HD600 has more clarity. I can't AB since I've returned it.

I have an O2 amp on the way and maybe I'll like Fidelio's sound more. But gosh, I miss the 600. So right now Adorama has a sale for the HD650 for $275 and I'm torn. If the bass of the 650 is between the 600 and X2, that might be perfect. I subtler design of the 650 is more my taste too. 

So my question is should I give the X2 another chance with the O2 and risk the sale ending? And keeping my beginner's listening skills in mind, will the scalability of the 650 or 600 be huge? If I get a Bottlehead Crack ($300-400 is as much as I'm willing to spend for an amp) or similar, is that combo very much more satisfying than an X2 + O2 amp?

Do what I did. Get one of each for different genres.
L3000.gif

May 2, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 15
It's temping to keep both, but in the end too much opportunity cost. I'm also into photography so I gotta keep expensive hobbies at bay :)

Plus, the X2 and 600/650 seem to be more similar than different according to people. I think my next upgrade a few years from now might be a magnetic planar HP.

May 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 15
HD600 is a veteran headphone in headfi world while Fidelio X2 is a good neophyte. Both are good. I have no experience yet with X2. I have HD600 with me which I really like. It is a musical headphone. It's really tough on pocket to have many headphones especially if we have limited budget. My suggestion is prioritize the most important and choose what your mind and heart likes. Enjoy. 

May 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 15
I tried out the X2 late last year before settling on the 600. There was something off about the X2's treble. I appreciated the robust bass (for an open headphone) but the low bass was still rolled off and it doesn't really extend that much lower than the HD600, maybe a third-octave lower before rolling off. The 600 definitely sounds clearer. The mid-bass quantity of the 600 and X2 is similar, but the X2's bass was a little more sloppy; the 600's bass was more punchy. The O2 is well-suited to powering the 600. I say go with the 600. If you check out the HD600 appreciation thread, there are plenty of people who have posted about selling their 600, coming to regret it, and then buying another pair. Sometimes more than once. 

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Hi there,

Created an account just to reply. 

I had the X2s for a few months before giving them to my dad for Christmas.  I really liked them but wanted something that would scale better with amps (a higher impedance HP.)  I'm also looking at the bottlehead crack.  My HD600s are in the mail and will be here in two days. 

If I get an answer before you do I'll let you know.

Also, I'm A Biomedical engineer too!

Dec 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 15
Their sound signature are pretty different. Personally, I like 600's sound much more than X2. On SQ, they are basically on par, a fully drived 600 should be better than X2. I saw most people though they are for different genre. I only listen to symphony/classical, which I like 600 more. If you have IEms like LZ A2, M200, Puro, X2 just pretty much like their sound, esp. A2 and M200. And 600 just Senn.'s character of sound, as Ie80/800, but much more neutral than 80, and also than 800.
X2 is very easy to drive. For 600, you can get different sound from different amplifiers - SS/tube, tube rolling.

Dec 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 15
Unless you plan to use them with your phone and need something easy to drive, I'd personally recommend the HD-600. I actually find the many very positive opinions on the X2 on these boards surprising. I have both the X1 and X2 and I find myself using the X1 more - it just has a more natural tonal balance to my ears. (On a side note, I also think it looks better, with its steel/brown leather style and absence of vulgar lettering, but that's of course a different matter. And the faux marble of the HD-600 is indeed quite awful - it reminds me of those website wallpapers from the 90s.)
The X2 has more high treble and more of a bass hump than the X1 and, most importantly, to my ears has much too little in the "presence" or "bite" area around 5-6 kHz or so. Having said this, the imaging/stereo separation is better on the X2 but on the whole I find it more of a step sideways than forwards from the X1 for Philips, so to speak. And neither is preferable to the HD-600 which I'd say sounds better in just about every respect. But there are plenty of people who don't agree.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Agreed. The original poster is apparently using an amp, and in that case I can't see any reason to get an X2 rather than an HD-600. If you are listening on a phone with a weakish output then I agree it's a different story. Personally, I'm not fond of using a portable amplifier, it's just one more thing to carry around and keep charged.

Dec 28, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 15

Plus, the X2 and 600/650 seem to be more similar than different according to people. 

X2 is very different to HD600/650. The Philips' have a fun bass-boosted sound, with some "tailored" highs. Everything sounds smooth and nice. Mids are recessed too.

With the HD6x0 Senns you get great & upfront mids with very flat sounding highs. There's lots more bass on the X2.. The Senns sound very much more flat, some might say less fun. They are the ones you would mix a song with. But, especially the HD650, they have a good "fun factor" too. Warm & not too colored, imo. X2 is all about fun, warm & smooth.

EDIT: I've owned all three.

Dec 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 15
I own the HD650 and X2 both. Personally, I feel as your choice of headphone is dependent on what type of music you listen to. I find the X2's to have somewhat recessed mids but much more engaging/prominent bass (which is good for my music preference). In regards to treble on both, I think they are fairly equal but the 650 is slightly more detailed.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #15 of 15
I had the Senn 600's for 10 years and then sold them due to wear and tear (out of warranty). I got the Fidelio X2's and loved everything about them apart from awful (treble sibilance, no matter what amp and I have several types. Using high quality audio source). I was hoping it would improve and maybe the ssssssd sounds would relax, but they did not. I totally loved the awesome Soundstage for High Definition movies - incredible and the amazing Base. I with much emotional pain (like agreeing to putting a dog down) returned them to Amazon.

So now I am burning in my HD 650's which currently after only 15 hours playback sound dull. I misd the X2 soundstage and lovely Base. I hope the 650's will deliver performance audio after burn in. I might buy a Schitt amp as the much revered O2 amps are not available in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back