Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #871 of 6,413
Quote:
Wallets turning into AS/G-2 savings accounts.

Gas for the next 6 months... or ASG-2s...

rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #878 of 6,413
I don't own either, but I think you should mostly consider whether you prefer balanced armature bass (more controlled, fast, and accurate), or dynamic driver bass (more "natural," energetic, and impactful)

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #879 of 6,413
Quote:
I don't own either, but I think you should mostly consider whether you prefer balanced armature bass (more controlled, fast, and accurate), or dynamic driver bass (more "natural," energetic, and impactful)

BAs and dynamics can be tuned to sound like each other.  EG, a BA can be tuned to be impactful, energetic, and "natural" while a dynamic can be tuned to sound more controlled, faster, and with accuracy :p 

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #880 of 6,413
Interesting observation.  However, not to discredit anybody, but there a few members that I would trust with such an observation because they have owned enough CIEMs, both BA, dynamics, and hybrids to support it.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #882 of 6,413
@tinyman: I agree with you to an extent, but when you're comparing one top-tier BA-based custom to another top-tier DD based custom, I still find the differences to be really apparent.  Balanced armatures don't push air the way that dynamic drivers do so you don't get that ear pressurization; big bass in balanced armatures is all just psychoacoustics 
basshead.gif
 (also, I'm comparing my es5's bass to the atrio m5's).

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #883 of 6,413
I haven't tested customs, but have plenty of hybrids, BAs, and Dynamics...  They can be tuned to create a similar bass response.  Also, to say that the BA isn't able to produce enough air pressure is really off.  I don't see how it can't.  If we do measurements, we can get a BA that can push out as much volume (dB) as a dynamic can.  dB is actually a derivative of Pascals (unit of pressure).  If a BA can offer the same volume as a dynamic can, it offers the same amount of pressure. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #884 of 6,413
I think the farthest we'll agree is that they can be tuned to sound similarly, but we'll disagree in that there's a difference in sensation.

You're right, I misworded my last post, of course they both can reach the same decibel levels, therefore ear pressurization!

In my experience there's something else besides decibels that can't be replicated by BA drivers; a moving diaphragm air sucks in and spits that air directly into your ear canal and that makes the bass feel more like its coming from something like a sub woofer in a way that a BA driver can never achieve.  Some head-fi'er wrote on the mg6pro (uses a 13mm dynamic) thread that a bass line hit so hard that it tickled his ear drum.  I haven't quite gotten that sensation cuz my m5s aren't as bass-powerful, but I can easily see where he got that.  I'm really convinced that if I could blind test A/B a BA-based IEM and a DD-based IEM, if the sound signature was otherwise the same, 10 times out of 10, I would be able to tell which type of driver the IEM was using.
None of this is meant to be hostile, by the way- just a healthy debate to lead to greater understanding! 
beerchug.gif

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #885 of 6,413
Im pretty sure BA has a natural weakness in bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back