Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #811 of 6,413
Quote:
ASG2 as its name fully suggests will have two drivers... ok, I'm just guessing :p

Well 2 if you consider the BA unit which holds 2 tweeters as 1 driver and 1 15mm dynamic driver. Or it could just mean it is the second in the Aurisonics (AS) series. 

Quote Dale Lott:
Yes we don't care about how many drivers just what it sounds like. 2 series is just what comes after 1...

Jun 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #812 of 6,413
Had anybody the opportunity to compare the bass of ASG-1.2 to the bass of Atrio?

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #813 of 6,413
Quote:
Had anybody the opportunity to compare the bass of ASG-1.2 to the bass of Atrio?

I haven't done any formal comparison, and though I feel like the ASG-1.2 rolls off more below 20 Hz (what headphone doesn't?), I have been using my ASG-1.2s exclusively over my Atrios since they arrived.  They fit my ears better, have MUCH better build quality, and any sub-bass difference is negligible to my listening tastes.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #814 of 6,413
Quote:

My impressions on the Atrio:

Reading this thread, I expected for there to be sub-bass for days, and the soundstage to be closed and cramped. 

Now I'm listening to an IEM that has just a smidge more sub-bass rumble than the GR07. The soundstage isn't the biggest, but I could probably live with it.

Vocals and instrument separation are decent at best. The vocals are recessed for my liking, and dynamics are just OK.

It's not fast enough to keep pace with quicker paced genres, though I wouldn't really call it slow. I feel like the bass lags behind the mids and highs when use Kiteki's speed test.

I suspect the main problem with the M5 is that the sound is being hindered by that tiny nozzle.

I'm listening from my iP4, which is already a pretty good source. I'll give it another shot from my Fiio E10 later, but I don't expect much improvement. 

As far as the bass goes, there is absolutely no competition. The ASG bests the Atrio in every and any way. In hits harder. It's faster. It goes far deeper (below 10hz). The bass texturing and timbre makes the Atrio sound like one note bass in comparison. Then that rumble is nothing but glorious. You can use this to to verify the 10hz claim: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Like I said, no competition.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #815 of 6,413
Very cool bass test tones. I can't wait to get in my pair of the ASG-1.2's and try it... Surprisingly my modded Fostex T50RP ortho full-sized cans clearly pass along some bass information on the 10hz tone. Yeah! 

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #816 of 6,413
Not to be a downer, but is there any information on the creation of the test tones or their veracity? I don't know much of the science behind it, but in my experience not all test tones are created equal. It has something to do with the quality of the algorithm if I remember right, which is why most recommend an analog sine wave emitting/creating device.

That said, I will definitely try these later :D

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #817 of 6,413
Quote:

My impressions on the Atrio:

As far as the bass goes, there is absolutely no competition. The ASG bests the Atrio in every and any way. In hits harder. It's faster. It goes far deeper (below 10hz). The bass texturing and timbre makes the Atrio sound like one note bass in comparison. Then that rumble is nothing but glorious. You can use this to to verify the 10hz claim: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Like I said, no competition.

Well, I do have to state that even though a headphone can reach down that low, it won't matter unless it's not overshadowed by any other frequency range.  If it isn't, then 10 Hz will be audible.  If it is, then 10 Hz will only be audible when there are no other frequencies in play.  Unfortunately, we don't listen to bass tones, instead most people's choices lean towards music :p

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #818 of 6,413
Hmm...

The more I read, the more i think i might just like the 1.2.
I technical detail in my music, which i feel is mostly a result of good highs. However, i have tinnitus and sensitive ears, so i find myself gravitating towards warm+sweet phones (as described by clieOS), as they are the least fatiguing to my ears. I mean, i really like my JH5s but i've been bit by the dynamic driver bug, what with the impact the music has and the lower frequency capabilities. I would hazard a guess that the JH5s would be described as warm, at least that's how i describe them.
I just don't like it when details are drowned out; when you can't hear the crash cymbal at all, the snare, or when all the sax notes blend together into an unintentional slur.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #819 of 6,413
Quote:
Not to be a downer, but is there any information on the creation of the test tones or their veracity? I don't know much of the science behind it, but in my experience not all test tones are created equal. It has something to do with the quality of the algorithm if I remember right, which is why most recommend an analog sine wave emitting/creating device.
That said, I will definitely try these later
biggrin.gif

Algorithm, Schmalgorithm 
biggrin.gif
 Even in sinegen, the ASG-1 goes low like an experienced stripper on a well oiled pole

Well, I do have to state that even though a headphone can reach down that low, it won't matter unless it's not overshadowed by any other frequency range.  If it isn't, then 10 Hz will be audible.  If it is, then 10 Hz will only be audible when there are no other frequencies in play.  Unfortunately, we don't listen to bass tones, instead most people's choices lean towards music :p

Again, the beauty of the 1.2 is the fact that it's fantastic bass response in no way hampers the midrange. It warms it up a fair bit, but the mids are every bit as good as the bass. I had a chance to listen to an RE262 for all of 3 minutes this morning. It reminds me of the ASG-1 with far less bass quantity and more treble.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #820 of 6,413
I've played around with some Assembly code and a board that has a DAC on it and used it to create a program and output a sine wave. The thing is, in doing so, I wasn't getting a nice clean sine wave on the type of unit i was using so instead of doing it in many steps (originally meant for 255/256 steps of the sine wave) it did it with 44 steps that made the output look more like the perceived sine wave you would expect to see. I can definitely see how making a sine wave for testing purposes might get tricky and some may in fact be better than others. 
Quote:
That said, I will definitely try these later
biggrin.gif

All this being said, I have no doubts that the AS-1's go low, as my AS-2's have the same driver in them that is handling just slightly less of the overall spectrum and it goes deep when it needs to go deep. I hooked it up to my digizoid ZO2 just for fun and found a bottomless well I could keep climbing down further into. Or at least, that's how the bass was perceived by me. The great thing about the AS-2's and what I have been hearing in posts about the AS-1's is how well they not only deliver the bass, but also everything else in the rest of the audio spectrum at the same time. I've heard many examples of where the deeper the bass the worse the mids are and eventually with more bass boost the highs get muddled as well. You won't get that with the AS-2's at all. The closest I got to muddying up the spectrum was with the ZO2 on RED and the volume to it's loudest i could comfortably go. I noticed from going from RED to Green that their had been some muddiness introduced, but much less than i have found other IEM's have just from going from Green to Yellow with the ZO2. Truly made me happy that day. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #821 of 6,413
Quote:
I've played around with some Assembly code and a board that has a DAC on it and used it to create a program and output a sine wave. The thing is, in doing so, I wasn't getting a nice clean sine wave on the type of unit i was using so instead of doing it in many steps (originally meant for 255/256 steps of the sine wave) it did it with 44 steps that made the output look more like the perceived sine wave you would expect to see. I can definitely see how making a sine wave for testing purposes might get tricky and some may in fact be better than others. 
All this being said, I have no doubts that the AS-1's go low, as my AS-2's have the same driver in them that is handling just slightly less of the overall spectrum and it goes deep when it needs to go deep. I hooked it up to my digizoid ZO2 just for fun and found a bottomless well I could keep climbing down further into. Or at least, that's how the bass was perceived by me. The great thing about the AS-2's and what I have been hearing in posts about the AS-1's is how well they not only deliver the bass, but also everything else in the rest of the audio spectrum at the same time. I've heard many examples of where the deeper the bass the worse the mids are and eventually with more bass boost the highs get muddled as well. You won't get that with the AS-2's at all. The closest I got to muddying up the spectrum was with the ZO2 on RED and the volume to it's loudest i could comfortably go. I noticed from going from RED to Green that their had been some muddiness introduced, but much less than i have found other IEM's have just from going from Green to Yellow with the ZO2. Truly made me happy that day. 

Sorry to drift,

I haven't yet gone too far back in this thread, but have you had AS-1s before the AS-2?

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #822 of 6,413
No, I went straight to the AS-2b's. But, I am in talks with Dale about getting AS-1's made soon for me. I'm really excited about making that purchase soon.
Quote:

Sorry to drift,

I haven't yet gone too far back in this thread, but have you had AS-1s before the AS-2?

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #825 of 6,413

I need to learn how to play around with that stuff.
You don't need to sell me on them :D they have pretty much my favorite bass response that I've heard. A little less of a rounded note and it'd be perfect for me. I was just a little surprised that you all could hear 10hz. I'm pretty sure mine start to roll off after 22hz which is more than enough for me. 10hz would just be a pretty slow undulating rumble of air movement for human hearing.
That's why I'm very interested in hearing these test tones when I get home.

Algorithm, Schmalgorithm :D  Even in sinegen, the ASG-1 goes low like an experienced stripper on a well oiled pole

LOL, you should go into sales. That line will sell almost anything. I could be looking to buy a toaster and you say it goes low like an experienced stripper on a well oiled pole and I'm already halfway to the register.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back