Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 4, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #601 of 6,413
I'm guessing it'll fit at the area near the red/blue dots in the shell?

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #603 of 6,413
Quote:
I'm finding that I don't feel the need to EQ up the treble anymore. It's becoming more apparent (not sure if burn-in, or getting used to it), and timbre is as good as ever.

I think it depends on the genre. On Rock, it sure still does, for me. I find it to be too thick on the guitars without EQ. On the other hand, Bossa Nova is fine without EQ, although it can make the sound more airy (great for female vocals), I don't really need it for low level listening in public.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #604 of 6,413
I don't know where the dots are, but I can say that Dale knows what he's doing and it'll fit, don't worry one bit. 
Quote:
I'm guessing it'll fit at the area near the red/blue dots in the shell?

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #605 of 6,413
On the 1.1 or 1.0 models, there is room between the dynamic and the nozzle for drivers. IDK if it's enough though.

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #606 of 6,413
I don't own ASG-1's and never seen the ASG-2's, but i would assume that just because the shells from the ASG-1's can be used for the ASG-2's is possible, that they still may have to modify them a bit, maybe cutting out excess parts of the shell and porting them to the proper specifications for the ASG-2's. 
Quote:
On the 1.1 or 1.0 models, there is room between the dynamic and the nozzle for drivers. IDK if it's enough though.
Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #607 of 6,413
As you all know, I've dropped some (not-so-subtle) hints about how impressive the AS-2 prototype is.. Dale's given me the permission to post some of my initial thoughts on it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the wonderful opportunity to audition a generic-fit prototype of the soon-to-be released AS-2 by Aurisonics for the past four days.

I'm going to go ahead and get right to the point:  this is the finest (to-date) universal IEM I've ever heard.

For those who don't know my preferred sound signature, I value balanced sounding phones that can walk the delicate line of neutrality & naturality.  Phones that can be effective in the studio, on stage, as well as my living room.

The sound signature & technicalities Dale has tuned & achieved in the AS-2 prototype is, in my opinion, nothing short of magnificent.  Dale said he was striving to make both stage professionals & audiophiles happy with the AS-2's tuning.  A daunting task considering the stringent (and, at times, seemingly opposite) demands those two target groups demand from IEMs.  Within moments of hearing the prototype, though .. I was immediately convinced Dale had accomplished this delicate balance with flying colors.

The AS-2 possesses a beautifully balanced sound signature.  No specific frequency range dominates the presentation.  The lively, dynamic, effortless sound is among the most immersive experiences I've ever heard.  The soundstage is eye-popping in its ability to accurately portray width, depth, and height.  Imaging & instrument separation rivals that of the UM Miracle.  Timbre is more natural than the UM Miracle.. which truly blew me away.

It's been noted that Dale incorporated some very unique, dual BA tweeters in the AS-2.. to appreciate what they deliver, they truly must be heard.  Think DBA-02 & CK10 level clarity, detail, resolution, texturing, and speed.. but with better note weight.  The treble is precise, impeccably detailed, and possesses just the right mix of smoothness, crispness, airiness, and sparkle.  In fact, I've never heard this articulate & natural a treble response from BAs.  Again, it must be heard to be appreciated.

The midrange & bass duties are handled by the muscular, 15mm driver that owners of the ASG-1 & AS-1 are familiar with.  While I'd characterize the ASG-1 (and rev. 1.2) phones as having a 'dry', smooth overall tone.. the AS-2 prototype goes for a more rich, airy, albeit, more tonally balanced sound.  Notes have just the right weight and texture.  Nothing sounds too lush, thick, or warm.. or too dry, thin, or cold.. the balance is simply perfect.

As many of you may have noted, upon receiving my ASG-1.2, I couldn't help but rave about the one of a kind bass response.  Deep, tight, surprisingly nimble, effortless, and seemingly bottomless.  Get ready for more of that greatness.. further refined.  When the "dynamic vs BA" debate hits the bass discussions.. the texture, tonality, authority, and sheer power a dynamic delivers is something BAs are seemingly unable to compete with.  The AS-2 prototype's bass is the nail in the coffin for that debate.  It's unlike anything I've heard.  I don't want to say too much more about the bass cause I'd like for it to remain a surprise... a pace-maker arresting, jaw dropping, wide-eyed surprise.  Rest assured that the bass remains entirely within its own confines and there is not an iota of bleed into the midrange.

I've been throwing a murderer's row of my favorite, well recorded DnB & hip hop tracks/mixes at the AS-2 prototype the last few days.. and I was left stunned at the effortless, visceral elegance with which the AS-2 prototype obliged.  It's capable of resolving the smallest nuances.. as well as the most ferocious aspects of the deep end.  That goes for the entire frequency spectrum, in fact.

While the AS-2's bass is a bit of a show stealer.. I mentioned to Dale that I was truly blown away with the midrange-through-treble tuning.  It's something else.  There was some concern & disappointment from a few about the AS-2 not being a dual dynamic.  When I read those posts.. I was listening to the AS-2 and literally laughing at my screen.  You guys have no idea what awaits you <evil laugh>. Dale and Aurisonics has achieved an astonishing level of cohesiveness in this true digital hybrid.  I bet if you didn't know that this was a hybrid before hand, you would think you're listening to some futuristic, cutting edge dynamic that possess the speed and detail of a BA with the timbre and texturing of dynamic.  It's among the most cohesive sounding phones I've ever heard.

I admit, it's tough not to come off sounding like an utter fanboy after reading this.  But I've had nearly four days with this wonderful phone.. the 'new toy' excitement & adrenaline wore off a while ago.. and as I type this (listening to the AS-2 prototype), I still can't believe I have to send it back to Aurisonics tomorrow.  I'm as enamored by it now as I was the moment I received it.  Dale is very modest about his accomplishments, but I'll go ahead and say it for him.. this is a masterpiece...

I'm 110% positive HeadFi will absolutely LOVE the AS-2.

PS.  I can't divulge anything about the price but I assure you it will be VERY VERY attractive.  Also, the options & customization Aurisonics has planned is insanely awesome.  As we've come to expect from Dale/Aurisonics.. they do everything differently.. and that's going to include the way they roll out & deliver this IEM.

The release can't come soon enough.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #608 of 6,413
You've got it for 4 days... So it means that you did not have a chance to A/B it with ASG-1.2?

Quote:
As you all know, I've dropped some (not-so-subtle) hints about how impressive the AS-2 prototype is.. Dale's given me the permission to post some of my initial thoughts on it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the wonderful opportunity to audition a generic-fit prototype of the soon-to-be released AS-2 by Aurisonics for the past four days.

I'm going to go ahead and get right to the point:  this is the finest (to-date) universal IEM I've ever heard.

Jun 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #609 of 6,413
You've got it for 4 days... So it means that you did not have a chance to A/B it with ASG-1.2?

I sold/shipped the ASG-1.2 before the AS-2 prototype arrived.  Loved the ASG-1.2.. but I wanted to offset the cost of the AS-2 a little.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #610 of 6,413
Quote:

I sold/shipped the ASG-1.2 before the AS-2 prototype arrived.  Loved the ASG-1.2.. but I wanted to offset the cost of the AS-2 a little.

Yes, sold them to me. Great earphones, thanks!

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #611 of 6,413
I see... You should have waited for the upgrade. I am sure Dale, knowing how loyal us early adapters are, is going to charge us less (vs. a complete new set of rev. 2).

Quote:

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #612 of 6,413
I see... You should have waited for the upgrade. I am sure Dale, knowing how loyal us early adapters are, is going to charge us less (vs. a complete new set of rev. 2).

I anticipate ordering the AS-2 (true custom fit) so the (generic fit) ASG-1.2's shell is of no use to me (unless of course, Dale planned on transplanting the driver from my 1.2 to the AS-2).  Knowing how much a fresh AS-2 will cost, I'd say both groups will be getting a fantastic deal.  Like I said, it's priced VERY well.

As much as I love the ASG-1.2 & the performance it delivers.. the AS-2 prototype delivers a slightly different sound signature.. but offers a clear step up in technicalities.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #613 of 6,413
Having been a proud owner of AS-2b's for some time now, I can 100% back up everything FlySweep has mentioned and want to let him know it's not just the adrenaline that is causing his impressions, it's the truly epic IEM Dale has designed for consumers that is the sole source of his enjoyment. As FlySweep said, and I noticed when doing an ear of the AS-2 and an ear of the UE Reference Monitors this weekend, the AS-2's seem to be very well balanced and the bass does not bleed into the other frequencies. I also noticed many of the qualities FlySweep mentioned in his post when comparing the two IEM's, and it was quite clear I don't have any desire to get the UERM's anymore after hearing within seconds how different the two were. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(summary)
....WINNING....

The release can't come soon enough.

(/summary)

Again, I am not saying UE's products are inferior or not as good, just Dale has accomplished his goal in a unique way that I have been quite satisfied with. I still have an open mind to UE products and very well may take the plunge and purchase one of their CIEM's one day. In my comparison I am purely speaking about how the AS-2's compare to a well known CIEM and that it's qualities appeal to me more than the UERM's do.

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #614 of 6,413
Man FlySweep, Dale ought to hire you for their marketing department :D Can't wait to see how the ASG2 stacks up to the ES5. I can't bring myself to listen to anything else after getting the ES5, they are just completely out of the realm of universals. From what you are describing, the AS2/G2 definitely sounds like it can hang with the likes of the ES5 if it can go toe to toe with the Miracle. 

Jun 4, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #615 of 6,413
Man FlySweep, Dale ought to hire you for their marketing department :D Can't wait to see how the ASG2 stacks up to the ES5. I can't bring myself to listen to anything else after getting the ES5, they are just completely out of the realm of universals. From what you are describing, the AS2/G2 definitely sounds like it can hang with the likes of the ES5 if it can go toe to toe with the Miracle. 

As I stated in the mini-review.. my praise is certainly very positive & I'm, unabashedly, gushing over them.  Not cause I'm trying to build the hype train or anything (and Dale didn't offer me anything in return, btw).. I'm just thoroughly floored by what's Dale has created.  Consider this: I was practically sure the UM Miracle would be my last (top tier) custom (for as long as possible).. within an hour or two of hearing the AS-2 prototype, not only did I feel the AS-2 could go toe-to-toe with the Miracle, I knew I had to have it as a full blown custom.  The AS-2 & Miracle are different beasts as far as sound signature & presentation, but deliver the technical aspects of sound quality with incredible precision, cohesion, & effortlessness.  For some, the Miracle is too smooth, laid back, & neutral.. for those people.. I'd say get yourselves an AS-2.  It's very lively, dynamic, engaging.. yet smooth, balanced and natural at the same time.  Dale has always geared his products first & foremost towards professionals.. so while the AS-2 will make Head-Fi audiophiles gape at the sound & performance, I'd say the stage pro would find it just as amazing & useful.

Before I received the AS-2, Dale asked me to be VERY picky & specific about faults and inconsistencies with the prototype's sound.  I ran it through all my portable gear & my (slept on, but very well regarded) desktop DAC/amp.  I was very impressed by how fantastic it sounded out of my iPhone (an amp is not needed for it to sound great) but it scaled impressively with better sources & amps.  After all that.. I was pretty surprised to be unable to find even a small flaw.  Yes, I think it's a near perfect IEM.  There will always be disagreements over a phone's sound signature & if it suits ones taste, but the technical accomplishments & sheer immersiveness are undeniably one-of-a-kind.  Those having had to reconcile tradeoffs between the benefits of dynamics & BAs will, especially, enjoy the AS-2.  And this isn't cobbling together any old dynamic & universal.. I sense there is some very careful, advanced selection & tuning going on.  Also remember, I heard the 'generic fit' version of the AS-2 prototype.  While I did achieve an excellent seal, there are certainly gains in sound quality to be had with a true custom fit (as I've experienced with my other customs).. so what I was hearing may not be what the AS-2 will be truly capable of.. which is frighteningly awesome.

It's been a whirlwind auditioning/buying/selling/re-buying phones the last few years for me.. I've come to a point, more recently, where it's about whittling down what I own, keeping my favorites (as listed in my signature).. and being EXTREMELY judicious with what I buy next.  Hearing what I've heard, I really have no desire to squeeze that next .01% by emptying my wallet on the next great custom or reference grade full sized headphone, source, or amp.  What my phones & rig delivers now (and for my listening habits) is more than enough.  As it is, most of my phones don't get the ear time they deserve.. so the last thing i need is another fantastic phone to add to the collection that won't get its due time.  So for me to feel that this phone immediately warrants a purchase speaks volumes to me & those who I converse with often via PM & email.

I hope a couple of other people who have heard the AS-2 prototype check with Dale and see if they can post their impressions.  Yes, their impressions will most likely be quite glowing (so prepare yourselves.. lol).. and that praise will, again, be well deserved, IMO.  Here's hoping project86 gets his hands on the AS-2 prototype (or true custom).. I hold his insight in very high regard & he could offer some things about the sound much better than i could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back