Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jun 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #556 of 6,413
Quote:
There is SO much I want to say on this thread re: the AS-2.. but can't.

I've got a good feeling Head-Fi is going to lose its collective mind when the AS-2/ASG-2 gets released.

Trust me.

wink_face.gif

x2 
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #558 of 6,413
Ok, I really have to quit reading Head-Fi... I already own the UM Merlin. Why the hell do I need the AS-2? :wink:

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #559 of 6,413
Can everyone relax just a bit? The AS-2's are gonna be worth it. Been talking to Dale and it seems my pair are final production spec'd and that being said, just wait and see, the AS-2's are gonna be making a huge splash in the Head-Fi world.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #561 of 6,413
i pretty much have a target on all who should (in theory) have access to the AS-2 right now ... some of you have made it rather obvious
wink_face.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #562 of 6,413
Here's Dale's statement from Facebook:

[size=11.0pt]"The AS-2 will be released later this month and we will begin taking orders for it. The AS-2 has a very refined sound signature with beautiful aesthetic options that will be pleasing to both musicians and audiophiles alike. The AS-2 uses a 15mm dynamic driver full range and a very unique "next generation" dual BA tweeter design unlike any BA before. The hybrid combination with unique placement of the BAs compliments the qualities of each and thus will deliver a sound signature sure to please a wide audience. Stay tuned for the upcoming release and photos that should start hitting the web soon... - Dale"[/size]

Dale wasn't going to use armatures, but then a special new set of armatures (the "next generation" he mentions) was sent his way AND he determined how important a unique placement in the shell is for the best sound with armatures. I spoke with Dale about it and it really sounds like it's going to be great.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #563 of 6,413
didn't Dale say there will be aesthetic options for the ASG-1? Other than the 1.2 revision, what else is being updated for the ASG-1? I just hope with the new IEMs coming out that the ASG-1 won't be left aside...

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #564 of 6,413
Quote:
didn't Dale say there will be aesthetic options for the ASG-1? Other than the 1.2 revision, what else is being updated for the ASG-1? I just hope with the new IEMs coming out that the ASG-1 won't be left aside...

Dale sent the same email to you:

Quote: Dale Lott
Rest assured as promised the same aesthetic options will be available for all current and future models including the ASG-1, AS-1, upcoming AS-2 and later this year ASG-2.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #565 of 6,413
Well well well.. Look at you guys (and girls too, perhaps?)..................
popcorn.gif

I predict the K3003 and the yet to-be-released GR08 are going to have stiff competition soon. Let the battles begin. It's the age of the hybrids (I stated this months ago).

Anyway, I'll have more words to type on this thread later. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #566 of 6,413
Quote:
popcorn.gif

I predict the K3003 and the yet to-be-released GR08 are going to have stiff competition soon. Let the battles begin. It's the age of the hybrids (I stated this months ago).

Detachable cable FTW!!

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #567 of 6,413
And the plot thickens. My next IEM will most likely be a BA-Dynamic hybrid, although the few minutes I spent with the K3003 didn't wow me off the bat. I like how more companies are entering the fray in this area.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #568 of 6,413
beerchug.gif

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #569 of 6,413
From shotgunshane's review thread:

Depends on what you are looking for. While the bass of the Merlin isn't as big as the MG6pro in quantity, it's really much tighter, cleaner and faster (and is as big as I'll ever need). The AS-2 prototype I heard had even faster and cleaner bass than the Merlin. Of course the full custom of the AS-2 will have an adjustable bass vent, so I suppose you would be able to dial in some big bass quantity. From my limited time with the prototype, I'd say it runs circles around the MG6pro, at least as far as what I'm looking for.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #570 of 6,413
Time to fill you guys in on what I heard today at the NYC Spring Head-Fi meet up.

I had the opportunity of plugging my AS-2's into an amp feeding UERM's and UE 18 Pro's generic versions, and the opportunity to control separate volume and A/B them. I must say, the AS-2's are a different beast. The UE 18's are what I first listened to against the AS-2's as when I hadn't listened to the AS-2's recently, I liked the UE 18's (earlier in the day). I gotta admit their was lots of bass to the UE 18's but I felt it was at the sacrifice of the rest of the levels with the fact that the sound felt congested and not as rich as the AS-2's did.

I then decided I had to take a listen to the UERM's which had been a goal of mine to get at some point because of their tuning and status of them as a solid CIEM. I started A/Bing them and found the sounded quite complementary to each other. I should point out I had one ear with the AS-2's and the other ear with the UERM's or UE 18's at any given point. I tried matching the volume of the UERM to the AS-2's and when I found that sweet spot I was hearing all types of things to compare between the two. First off, I felt they both handled the music quite well but you can clearly hear where the UERM's are BA based and the Dynamic driver of the AS-2's is just a powerful beast that competes with the BA's in speed but also has more impact without any sacrifice. The BA's in the UERM caused it to sound a bit thin in comparison, but not something I noticed as much earlier in the day when I tried them out without the AS-2 in the other ear. 

I want to point out I am not saying the UE models are bad or anything. As the representatives clearly and often repeated to me their CIEM's are all designed for a certain sound signature and that each model is different and a direct comparison cannot truly be made. Each pair I tried on was quite unique and interesting to listen to but I felt that the AS-2's really satisfied my needs right now more than the UE offerings. They were extremely nice and I hope to see them again and maybe hear a future product that will appeal to my liking. 

I chatted with Dale after the meet up and he asked how i liked the A/B between the UE18's and the AS-2's, both of which he is an owner of. It turns out some of my thoughts about the differences are in the same vein and thought as Dale has. The overall experience made me appreciate so much more how amazing the AS-2's are and how Dale is really doing a great job. At the end of our conversation Dale said that UE is doing their thing but that he is doing well with his business and Aurisonics is just gonna keep putting out stuff the way they want to, not something meant to be a direct competitor to UE products. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back