Fellow Canucks - is there duty on cd or dvd players
Mar 3, 2006 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eclipse

New Head-Fier
I understand gst and also the way you can be ripped off by "brokerage" fees.

. . .but is there any duty on cd and or dvd players? (sony & toshiba by brand in case it matters)

my quick read of the gov docs seems to indicate that there is not any duty - can anyone confirm or refute this?

thanks

leonard

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes, you get charged duty on whatever value the package is declared at... if you want to avoid duty, I just happen to be selling a CD player at the moment.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse
I understand gst and also the way you can be ripped off by "brokerage" fees.

. . .but is there any duty on cd and or dvd players? (sony & toshiba by brand in case it matters)

my quick read of the gov docs seems to indicate that there is not any duty - can anyone confirm or refute this?

thanks

leonard

Tariff # 8519.99.10 Compact Disc Players - MFN Tariff - Free

In other words, No Duty

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Sorry, I was unclear before. You will be charged GST and PST depending on location, you will be charged a brokerage fee if through UPS and might if through FedEx... Because of this I usually go through USPS, but you still get nailed with the tax and a $5 handling fee.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Being a fellow Canuck in Vancouver, I understand your pain in purchasing headphones from the States.

Regarding your question, sometimes people get taxes and duty mixed up. You will get hit on taxes no matter what. However, you might not get dinged on duties depending on the what it is and where it was made. For instance, I believe there are no duties on AV receivers no matter where they are made, but you will still pay all the applicable taxes.

Brokerage is a pain. UPS will try to bankrupt you in charging brokerage, so follow the good fellow head-fiers' and find other means for shipping. I am not familiar with FedEx, so I can't comment on that.

I hope that clears things up a bit. If not, feel free to call your Canadian Boarder Security Agency... Although their meaning of security seems to solely focus on the cash in your wallet.

Good luck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back