Felix is Dead
May 18, 2004 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
Felix aka Tony Randall has passed away.

These old TV comedians made me laugh.
And a good sport for letting Letterman poke fun at him on 'Late Night' for many years.
BTW Niles Crane of 'Frasier' was taken from Felix I think.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...all/index.html

"Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"

oddcouplet.jpg

May 18, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the memories, TR. I understand he was a
regular on Johnny Carson as well.

This series should come out on DVD. Classic TV.

Anyone remember Al poking is huge shnoz throught the peephole
in the door?

May 19, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Hats off to a life well lived. A great man as well as a wonderful actor. He will be missed.

May 19, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 11
We will miss such a fine entertainer. Sorry to see you go, Tony.

But...

you're not going to like this personal opinion.

THIS is why people over 50 should not have children.

It has nothing to do with the adults, it has to do with the children.

Tony's wife, now a widow, now has a 5 and a 7 year old to deal with...alone.

The children will never get to grow old with their father by their side, through schooling, helping along with the difficulties of life.

It's a VERY personal opinion, but it's incredibly selfish for 60 and 70 year olds to have children. And I've just told you why.

[/end rant]

May 19, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 11
The other side of the coin is that 1) the kids are alive (which has promise outside of anyone's expectations), 2) they had a great Dad for awhile (which beats having some ****ty Dads for way too long), and 3) the bloodline goes on. Strikes me on the strengths of your argument that good people should be more selfish and have whatever kids they can.

May 19, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 11
biggrin.gif

Hmmm. Tell that to the single parent and the children who (1) will miss their father for the entire balance of their lives - which is 99% of it and (2) not have a father to be there for them when the getting gets tough.

Of course, this does not limit the widow from remarrying. But what if she, also, was of advanced age? Exactly what happens to the children if both parents pass away, simply from natural causes due to their advanced age?

This was a rotten idea 500 years ago, 200 years ago, 75 years ago, 20 years ago...and it's still a rotten idea now. The relative age implied has changed during these times but the purpose remains. One of these days humans will realize that just because they can do something doesn't mean it's the best idea.

Thanks, Old Pa
lambda.gif
But I stand pat on my thought and up until just a few years ago almost everyone did, as well. I'm worried about the children - to heck with the "rights" of the parents to do this.

May 19, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
While Felix Unger was an original and memorable character, I much prefer Randall's memory as a fertile octogenarian.
icon10.gif

Doing it at 77!!!
icon10.gif
I remember him celebrating/relating the newfound joys of fatherhood on Letterman and it was rather heartwarming.

(I kept from mentioning it because I was afraid people (head-fiers can be an incorrigible lot
wink.gif
) would start knocking heads over the pros & cons of parenthood at advanced ages. Well at least those poor kids will have the finest of all things-education, a stay at home mom, etc-$$$$$-and probably a new dad at some point as Tony would want
cool.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back