Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 15, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #9,571 of 11,448
@mordy what is your current set up. Would love to know where you settled after the rabbit hole grew tiresome. :sleeping:
The truth is that I stopped rolling tubes in the Euforia quite some time ago since I got a different amp with more power and flexibility. I did not keep up with all the new developments so the setup I ended up with is not representative of the state of the art, or rather, state of the roll.
The best sound I got was from a pair of Foton ribbed plates 6H8C from the early 50’s and a pair of GEC 6080.
Have not tried any of the GU-50 or KT series tubes although I am sure they sound very good.

Aug 15, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #9,572 of 11,448
The truth is that I stopped rolling tubes in the Euforia quite some time ago since I got a different amp with more power and flexibility. I did not keep up with all the new developments so the setup I ended up with is not representative of the state of the art, or rather, state of the roll.
The best sound I got was from a pair of Foton ribbed plates 6H8C from the early 50’s and a pair of GEC 6080.
Have not tried any of the GU-50 or KT series tubes although I am sure they sound very good.
Thanks for the update, @mordy. There is clearly no single best solution for all, what amp. are you referring to above?

In any case, thanks for all of the guidance you have provided along the way. it has been invaluable.

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #9,573 of 11,448
Another suggestion is to use the KT77 as drivers. It will give a warmer sound to the KT88's as powers. These are like the EL34 and I liked them very much. Take your time, lots of combinations to try, and tubes and equipment need time to burn in and stabilize to sound there best. And don't forget your ears, they need time to adjust to the new sounds to really hear the difference. These changes for the most part are not like night and day, they more like twilight. Most of all, have fun, and enjoy the music.
I for one, did not like the KT77 as drivers with my KT88 powers in my ELISE. Both were gold lions. The kT77 muddied the overall sound. It did however add a 3d soundstage that i have yet to reproduce with any other tube combo. But the veiled sound put me off. But KT88 powers are a definite must have for those who dont want to spend a fortune, at the gold lion ones are affordable.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #9,574 of 11,448
So after reading a bit on the KT88 tubes am I correct in assuming that one can directly use KT88 as power with any 6sn7 as a driver without any external adapter or power supplies? Another question that keeps popping up is that am I correct in assuming that since the KT88s draw a lot less power than standard 6as7g or a 6080 power tube, does it also need a much higher cranking of the volume pot to reach the same sound level as using a 6080/6as7g power tube? Thank you in advance.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #9,575 of 11,448
You MUST use adapters for any of the KT tubes. Deyan here or ebay puts out adapters that work fine. You might have a small reduction in volumn but not much. Nice side effect is cooler running amp. I will probably be going back to a quad of GU50's soon, and with these amp is just barely warm. Shafat777 was wondering what headphones you are using, I have not run into a problem with tubes sounding "veiled". Curious, is all, I usually run Sennheiser 800 or the Oppo PM-1 and do not get any effect like that.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #9,576 of 11,448
Well @shafat777 and @connieflyer , such differences in findings are of course the double-edged sword in tubedom alas, and one I'm afraid finally tainted my own love affair with tubes....something I never anticipated lol! But for those happy and willing to keep sampling different fare until (hopefully) finding one's own sweet spot, such variety can of course be very helpful in said quest.

As I myself continued to progressively upgrade all other parts of my system, I found that my previous (long term) favourite tubes would suddenly display properties that I felt could be improved...hence my (almost) manic continual search for new tubes to do the trick! :wink: Given that ALL tubes 'color' the original sound source - ie distort it to some degree or other, my personal craving for a more precise, true-to-the-original recording reproduction - (along with being a detail freak!) - is what finally led me to what IMHO brought the least 'distorted' tube presentation, with the clearest/most 'veil'-free delivery of all those that went before - namely the ridiculously cheap Russian Military GU50, which I had driving a dual power combo of GU50 and GEC KT88 (or, rather, the top anode TT21 equivalent). It's such a shame the GU50 needs 12V heater supply; a giant adapter and must be the least pretty tube on the planet!! But boy, what a sound...in my system :L3000:....and almost what I craved...:relieved:. If I were to go approaching an amp maker once again, I'd definitely suggest configuring for such a combination...with perhaps facility for an additional 6SN7 double triode driver for any sound tweaking/flexibility. And although the only alternative to the Russian tube seems to be an inferior Chinese one, there appears to be a plentiful supply of the Russian due to massive military over-production! But 'pie in the sky' to be sure alas, methinks...:slight_frown:.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings...and as has been stated many times before, no 2 systems will ever sound exactly the same (not to mention differences in hearing/preference!). Hence that interminable(?!) rabbit chase :beyersmile::beyersmile:...CHEERS guys...CJ

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #9,577 of 11,448
H that is precisely why I am going back to the GU50's. Wanted to go back and try other combo's that I have had over the last few years, and while they all sound good, the GU50's were the best solution for me. Thank you for doing the leg work on these and many other tubes. A learning curve to be sure.

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #9,578 of 11,448
Well @shafat777 and @connieflyer , such differences in findings are of course the double-edged sword in tubedom alas, and one I'm afraid finally tainted my own love affair with tubes....something I never anticipated lol! But for those happy and willing to keep sampling different fare until (hopefully) finding one's own sweet spot, such variety can of course be very helpful in said quest.

As I myself continued to progressively upgrade all other parts of my system, I found that my previous (long term) favourite tubes would suddenly display properties that I felt could be improved...hence my (almost) manic continual search for new tubes to do the trick! :wink: Given that ALL tubes 'color' the original sound source - ie distort it to some degree or other, my personal craving for a more precise, true-to-the-original recording reproduction - (along with being a detail freak!) - is what finally led me to what IMHO brought the least 'distorted' tube presentation, with the clearest/most 'veil'-free delivery of all those that went before - namely the ridiculously cheap Russian Military GU50, which I had driving a dual power combo of GU50 and GEC KT88 (or, rather, the top anode TT21 equivalent). It's such a shame the GU50 needs 12V heater supply; a giant adapter and must be the least pretty tube on the planet!! But boy, what a sound...in my system :L3000:....and almost what I craved...:relieved:. If I were to go approaching an amp maker once again, I'd definitely suggest configuring for such a combination...with perhaps facility for an additional 6SN7 double triode driver for any sound tweaking/flexibility. And although the only alternative to the Russian tube seems to be an inferior Chinese one, there appears to be a plentiful supply of the Russian due to massive military over-production! But 'pie in the sky' to be sure alas, methinks...:slight_frown:.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings...and as has been stated many times before, no 2 systems will ever sound exactly the same (not to mention differences in hearing/preference!). Hence that interminable(?!) rabbit chase :beyersmile::beyersmile:...CHEERS guys...CJ
Hello,
If you rave so much about the tube family why don't you have one built?
If not right after your conception?

I am currently building a hybrid amp that will have enough power to drive the Dc Aeon R/T and more.
With a base of 6sn7 tubes.
Price-wise it is affordable.
The downside is that you have to wait a bit for it, 2-3 months, but even that time will pass.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #9,579 of 11,448
Hello,
If you rave so much about the tube family why don't you have one built?
If not right after your conception?

I am currently building a hybrid amp that will have enough power to drive the Dc Aeon R/T and more.
With a base of 6sn7 tubes.
Price-wise it is affordable.
The downside is that you have to wait a bit for it, 2-3 months, but even that time will pass.
Hi D. Good question! I'm afraid the prospect of a custom-built amp (from whom?) to such a spec, along with the kinds of components I would have preferred seemed, to me, to be a project that was either not a feasible one or if considered, would be beyond my purse at the time. And subsequently, other life factors unfortunately steered me away from a continued life with tubes. Had I been younger (and fitter!), I may well have tried to pursue it further :disappointed_relieved:...CJ

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #9,580 of 11,448
Hello, if after the Cetron 7236 tubes I would like to try the Gold Lion KT88 I would need adapters, does anyone have a link? Preferably goldpin. Now I have the 7236 but they went up in price with 100 dollar from 140 a pair towards 240. KT88 are a bargain compared. I would combine them with 6sn7 I presume. Thanks

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #9,581 of 11,448
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #9,582 of 11,448
Aug 21, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #9,583 of 11,448
Ebay is Goldpin and 30 euro all in, Deyan is 40 but not gold pin or custom made, I guess I am too poor to have custom made hifi. Thank you. Gold Lion KT88 will be outside warranty but affordable. I hope not to damage the amp. With 6sn7 inside the laws of physics.
If budget is a concern you can go with 6AS7G or Russian 6N13S which is similar to the stock tubes.
IMO the stock tubes are really good but I tend to roll in 6080 variants too, all within warranty.

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #9,584 of 11,448
I've shared some time ago this link but I guess some new people appeared. It might be of use, so I'll share it again:
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=663.msg30393#msg30393
Here you have some descriptions, for another amplifier but might be similar, for some well known tubes.
Many of them are expenssive now, but however, you can read and see what they are all about.
These are power tubes compatible with Elise/Euforia. Some years ago I used this to get an idea about them.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #9,585 of 11,448
If budget is a concern you can go with 6AS7G or Russian 6N13S which is similar to the stock tubes.
IMO the stock tubes are really good but I tend to roll in 6080 variants too, all within warranty.
I am curious about the sound of the gold lion KT88 outside warranty, I have 2 pair 6N13S. If it sounds great, and will not destroy the amp, everybody happy. If I destroy the amp I am most certainly a fool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back