Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Apr 16, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #5,866 of 11,460
Hey just as your post came I noticed about a unique tube amp. I haven't tried it but given the meticulously done and highly positive review on this unit, I would say it's definitely not too far off the mark from even the Euforia, and at half the cost also including a (bypass-able) built in DAC and high/low gain switch.

Quad PA-One + Triode Dac/Headphone Amp
https://headphone.guru/quad-pa-one-triode-tube-dac-headphone-amplifier/

Or if you look around you just might be able to find a used Euiforia for this price, which has top-tier internals and wiring.

Also @connieflyer thanks for the nice write up about your sound system. It sounds like your system is improved with the Furman model But if you have a chance later, any thoughts on a before/after difference on the sound of the Euforia with it would be interesting too.

Funny you bring this up. I was curious about this headphone amp and have seen it previously for sale. It does use the 6SN7 and 6SL7 tubes as well, which is a bonus as I think they are some of the best preamp tubes around.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #5,867 of 11,460
Hi all.

I am thinking about purchasing a Euforia and wanted to confirm: the stock Euforia comes with CV181's as drivers - can you tube roll with 6SN7's? I think it is a direct swap but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #5,868 of 11,460
Hi all.

I am thinking about purchasing a Euforia and wanted to confirm: the stock Euforia comes with CV181's as drivers - can you tube roll with 6SN7's? I think it is a direct swap but wanted to confirm.

Thanks!

Yes, you can. Check here:
http://feliksaudio.pl/products/euforia/euforia_manual.pdf

Euforia is originally equipped with high quality tubes. Stock driver tubes are 6SN7 power tubes are 6N13S. Tubes can be changed by the user, to the following:
Driver tubes: 6N8S, CV181, ECC32, 5692, 6F8G
Power tubes:6080, 5998, 6N5P, 6N5S, ECC230, 7236, CV2523

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #5,869 of 11,460
Apr 17, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #5,870 of 11,460
Ive ordered the nva mini bmu so I’ll report back. The Occ cable is a bit punchy price-wise as I think at the moment my budget is closer to £20 per metre. DH Labs powerplus gets a lot of good feedback. This French cable is occ core and ofc outer, and is £20. 17mm thick, so pretty ungainly.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/cabl...tfe-3x25mm-double-shielding-o17mm-p-7527.html

That looks a very good price for cable using OCC wire trob, and with decent shielding should prove more than good enough lol! :L3000: But yes, that's one FAT cable!!

Thanks for the notes. I just ordered my Empyrean's so I am very excited to try them. I hear good things about the 800's because they are somewhat legendary... but so too were the 6XX... and while they are not the in the class, I didn't like the 6XX much at all. Are they alike in any way?

Hi freesole. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Empyreans...well done!

As for the Senn 6XX series, although I personally have only had the 650s, as far as I'm concerned - and in my system! - they were very good, but when fast A/Bing with the 800's there was simply no comparison IMHO. And the same goes for my Beyer T1s (with upgraded cable). The 650s do upscale surprisingly well (for the money), but are not in the same league...if one is honest lol! :wink:

The 800s - with the sort of gear that complements them well, like the 'tuned for' Questyle CMA800, including upgraded cables, or tube amps such as Euforia, with warmer tubes - can indeed sound extremely good, as mentioned previously. But they deliver a signature that is certainly not to everyone's taste, and can be very difficult to match up just right with the rest of one's system.

The Empyreans however - again as mentioned in my last post - are proving to be much easier to match well with a wider variety of gear. And I, along with most others, would say the Mezes are definitely a much 'warmer' headphone, which gives a 'smoother' overall sound experience, albeit not quite so precise as the 800's. And so also, therefore, be much more forgiving of less-than-perfect recordings. Plus, I'm sure that in most cases they will prove to be more conducive to long listening sessions lol! :dt880smile:

But my mini-meet did show up a couple of pertinent facts...Not only do the Mezes benefit greatly from an upgraded cable - as do the Senns, but also from really good quality cables elsewhere in the system. And this even includes such as a digital coax cable! It wasn't until a better headphone cable was substituted, and leather pads replaced with Alcantara(!!) that my 800-loving friend began to find the Empys more interesting...(he always looking for negatives before the positives!). But this changed a good deal - much to his surprise, and mine, when we replaced his amazing-looking £1000 worth monster of a coax cable from Hugo2 to his Questyle, with a very humble looking one I made using Neotech silver/gold plus a copper UP-OCC wires (cost under £40). Neither of us could believe the difference...the Empys delivering the smoothest, most seductive sound I myself have ever heard (and I could tell that Olli also, if even reluctantly, was lost for words...which is a rare occurrence indeed lol! :smile_phones:)...A quick photo of said transforming cable...

P1020088.JPG

Now, I realise that this particular mod may not apply to most folks, but it just shows what the Empyreans are in fact capable of achieving...over and above their already superlative performance.

I would finally like to make another recommendation concerning these headphones. Unless one loves bass and lower mids emphasis in their sound, be careful not to have too many other elements in the system - including cables(!) - that lean towards the 'dark' side. Although at first it can seem extra seductive, in recordings that are already biased towards these frequencies it can soon dominate, upsetting the overall balance. And worse, the bass can become a bit 'flabby', less tight and not so well controlled....(especially with the stock cable lol!!).

But bear this in mind, and your Empyreans will reward you with a truly wonderful, satisfying sound....CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #5,871 of 11,460
The Kemp Power Strip 4 arrived today (in 5 working days) from Holland. It is sturdy and seems to have very good build quality.
Kemp-Power-Strip-4-01.jpg

Kemp-Power-Strip-4-02.jpg

I will try to make some tests and come back with some impressions. At this moment I am quite pleased about what I see.

I realised that I need 2 additional power cables to remove all "stock" ones, so I was thinking about some Supra LoRad ones because I found here some at a good price.
I like also that they seem to be flexible compared to other models. Does anyone have some experience with these Supra? Should I go for them?
I guess these are the ones:
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-lorad-mkii-2-5-cs-eu-10-amp-mains-cable

Apr 19, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #5,872 of 11,460
The Kemp Power Strip 4 arrived today (in 5 working days) from Holland. It is sturdy and seems to have very good build quality.

I will try to make some tests and come back with some impressions. At this moment I am quite pleased about what I see.

I realised that I need 2 additional power cables to remove all "stock" ones, so I was thinking about some Supra LoRad ones because I found here some at a good price.
I like also that they seem to be flexible compared to other models. Does anyone have some experience with these Supra? Should I go for them?

I think the Supra cables are fine and use them in my system. Their weakest point is probably the IEC-connector which always seems to be a bit loose in its receptor. IMHO you can't go wrong with them from a value point-of-view. But if you can get rid of their plugs (the mains-plug is "okay", said IEC-plug not so much) I'd do it.

Apr 19, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #5,874 of 11,460

Looking forward to hearing how it works for you. Would you consider diy power cable? A power cable has to be the easiest diy cable, no soldering just a bit of wire stripping and a screwdriver. Then for the same money as a lo rad you could have a cable worth 4 x the amount. Many of the audio spares companies on eBay are in your part of Europe. That said all supra cables are better than their price tag, I’ve use their speaker cables and until recently their usb and interconnects

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #5,875 of 11,460
Apropos: is soldering another IEC-plug to a cable something that any hifi-repair-guy will do? If I could, I'd do it myself, but anything beyond changing a light-bulb is a no-no for me.. would be too dangerous! :beyersmile:

Hi Alex.

As @teknorob23 just mentioned, power cable plugs are in fact usually attached very easily with screw terminals...just strip back the wires and screw down (making sure you get positive(live), neutral and earth (if present) in the right position of course!! :wink:...easy lol! :ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #5,876 of 11,460
Now then guys, just a quick note on the benefits of extended listening and repeated revisiting - with an open mind! - when assessing any part of our gear.

I recently mentioned how my old 'balloon' EL38 powers were 'overloading' the already warm nature of my Empyrean headphones, and that swapping them for the Philips/Darios restored 'perfect' balance, with tighter and more controlled bass/lower mids and a tad more treble (closer to the HD800 signature, in fact). Well, despite on paper being more 'correct', after a while I unexpectedly began to feel less happy with the experience...I was missing that extra warmth I had before the swap, even though bass was more 'loose' and less controlled.

So, harking back to my Elise days when something similar happened when using 2x ECC31s (very bass orientated!) - and remedied by substituting one for an FDD20 - I thought I'd try a combo of 1x 'balloon' with 1x Dario...eureka! ...Bass and lower mids only slightly less balanced/controlled, but nothing to be concerned about at all. And back was that extra warmth that made for a much more 'cosy' sound, with a sweeter treble and no detrimental effect on detail, FR or soundstage. That feeling of being wrapped in a lovely, comforting blanket had returned...along with an extra silky smoothness to female vocals especially.

The moral of the tale being twofold, of course...1. Don't be too hasty in judging a particular sound delivery from any part of one's equipment - it can be quite a while before not only its true nature is revealed, but also just how it fits in with what suits us best (which can take even longer to fully appreciate lol! :wink:).

2. Don't be afraid to 'mix and match' different tubes to 'fine tune' to one's own particular satisfaction...preferably from the same family, of course. There's nothing to lose, really...and may just bring your own 'eureka' moment! :beyersmile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #5,877 of 11,460
That looks a very good price for cable using OCC wire trob, and with decent shielding should prove more than good enough lol! :L3000: But yes, that's one FAT cable!!

Hi freesole. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Empyreans...well done!

As for the Senn 6XX series, although I personally have only had the 650s, as far as I'm concerned - and in my system! - they were very good, but when fast A/Bing with the 800's there was simply no comparison IMHO. And the same goes for my Beyer T1s (with upgraded cable). The 650s do upscale surprisingly well (for the money), but are not in the same league...if one is honest lol! :wink:

The 800s - with the sort of gear that complements them well, like the 'tuned for' Questyle CMA800, including upgraded cables, or tube amps such as Euforia, with warmer tubes - can indeed sound extremely good, as mentioned previously. But they deliver a signature that is certainly not to everyone's taste, and can be very difficult to match up just right with the rest of one's system.

The Empyreans however - again as mentioned in my last post - are proving to be much easier to match well with a wider variety of gear. And I, along with most others, would say the Mezes are definitely a much 'warmer' headphone, which gives a 'smoother' overall sound experience, albeit not quite so precise as the 800's. And so also, therefore, be much more forgiving of less-than-perfect recordings. Plus, I'm sure that in most cases they will prove to be more conducive to long listening sessions lol! :dt880smile:

But my mini-meet did show up a couple of pertinent facts...Not only do the Mezes benefit greatly from an upgraded cable - as do the Senns, but also from really good quality cables elsewhere in the system. And this even includes such as a digital coax cable! It wasn't until a better headphone cable was substituted, and leather pads replaced with Alcantara(!!) that my 800-loving friend began to find the Empys more interesting...(he always looking for negatives before the positives!). But this changed a good deal - much to his surprise, and mine, when we replaced his amazing-looking £1000 worth monster of a coax cable from Hugo2 to his Questyle, with a very humble looking one I made using Neotech silver/gold plus a copper UP-OCC wires (cost under £40). Neither of us could believe the difference...the Empys delivering the smoothest, most seductive sound I myself have ever heard (and I could tell that Olli also, if even reluctantly, was lost for words...which is a rare occurrence indeed lol! :smile_phones:)...A quick photo of said transforming cable...

Now, I realise that this particular mod may not apply to most folks, but it just shows what the Empyreans are in fact capable of achieving...over and above their already superlative performance.

I would finally like to make another recommendation concerning these headphones. Unless one loves bass and lower mids emphasis in their sound, be careful not to have too many other elements in the system - including cables(!) - that lean towards the 'dark' side. Although at first it can seem extra seductive, in recordings that are already biased towards these frequencies it can soon dominate, upsetting the overall balance. And worse, the bass can become a bit 'flabby', less tight and not so well controlled....(especially with the stock cable lol!!).

But bear this in mind, and your Empyreans will reward you with a truly wonderful, satisfying sound....CHEERS!...CJ
Those Empyreans sound I interesting. But my take is the need for tweaking to fine tune it to a flat sound (cable upgrades, changing pads, tube combos, etc.) may be a little too much for me so I'd have to hear them first at least. Actually this is one of many hot new open summit-fi cans to hit the market recently that I have yet to try, (Mr. Speakers Ether 2, Focal Stellia, Hifiman Arya & Ananda, various ZMF offerings), so hopefully will make my rounds to try these at a Can Jam sometime.

Also @connieflyer, any more opinions of the difference your Furman ELITE-15 DM I is making on your Euforia with / without the unit? Thanks!

...Don't be afraid to 'mix and match' different tubes to 'fine tune' to one's own particular satisfaction...preferably from the same family, of course. There's nothing to lose, really...and may just bring your own 'eureka' moment! :beyersmile:...CHEERS!...CJ
Or it could be a 'Euforia moment'

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,878 of 11,460
Hi guys,
I have been silent in this thread for almost one year :)
I had a bit of a weird experience with my Euforia. After quite some time I went back to my Project Ember with a 6SN7 tube and, although it is less clear and the stage is significantly smaller, I actually feel that Euforia is rounding off the sub-bass, because I get a lot more of that on Ember. This effect is particularly clear with electronic music, even if I don't really listen to this kind of music.

I tried swapping pretty much every tube that I have and I could dig a combo that almost matches the Ember in sub-bass extension, but just barely (Raytheon 6SN7 + GEC 6080). Using a pair of TS 5998 also gave a nice extension but bass quantity was rather disappointing.
Have you experience a similar effect? I would like to clarify that I am not saying by any means that Ember "is better than Euforia", but bass extension seems much better in a relatively simple solid state output stage.

I will appreciate the most your input.

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,879 of 11,460
Hi guys,
I had a bit of a weird experience with my Euforia. After quite some time I went back to my Project Ember with a 6SN7 tube and, although it is less clear and the stage is significantly smaller, I actually feel that Euforia is rounding off the sub-bass, because I get a lot more of that on Ember. This effect is particularly clear with electronic music, even if I don't really listen to this kind of music.

I tried swapping pretty much every tube that I have and I could dig a combo that almost matches the Ember in sub-bass extension, but just barely (Raytheon 6SN7 + GEC 6080). Using a pair of TS 5998 also gave a nice extension but bass quantity was rather disappointing.
Have you experience a similar effect? I would like to clarify that I am not saying by any means that Ember "is better than Euforia", but bass extension seems much better in a relatively simple solid state output stage.

I got improved bass by adding an external DAC - did not spend more than $75 on an old Musical Fidelity V-DAC (recommended by JV) but it made for a significant improvement in bass (and clarity as well).
I have not tried the EL38 tubes, but people claim that they have very good bass as power tubes.

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #5,880 of 11,460
Hi guys,

Hi Tunkejazz. Thanks for popping in to say hello! :smile_phones:

Haven't heard many folks not very happy with the bass from Euforia, and suspect that - as usual - so much depends on the rest of the system also....coupled with the actual tubes used. If you want loads of bass, the Mullard ECC31 driver (needs adapter) delivers in spades. But as mordy says, the EL38 power (with adapter) is the most impressive tube I've adapted so far...not only for quantity of bass - with better detail/control than the ECC31 - but right across the board.

Headphones too will have a big impact...my new Meze Empyreans, for example, deliver a bass that far exceeds the Beyer T1s and the HD800!! :ksc75smile:

So good luck with your own search for the bass you seek lol...never is easy to get everything one would love from a system. It's taken me a good few years, and a lot of $$$$ to finally believe I've found my own source of audio nirvana...(just hope and pray my hearing and/or preferences don't change too much for a long while yet lol!!! :wink:...CHEERS!...CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back