Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 6, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #4,922 of 11,460
Don't worry, CJ. Life generally isn't fair. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, if y'all want to see a live stream of a sweet kitty:

:wink:

Ah, don't I just know it lol! But thanks anyway for your encouraging words, O...(And can't really complain just at the moment...the way this EL38 is developing is banishing all grey clouds in sight...in a single (for me?!!) word...unbelievable. But more words later, I suspect...I'm afraid! :wink:

That wouldn't be your sweet kitty by any chance would it, mon ami? And there was I envisaging you as a tough, hard-nosed, hard North European...not little softies like us here in the UK...(er, correction...here in England...the Celtic nations are far tougher than we are lol!! :wink::wink:).
However, nice kitty, I must admit lol...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #4,923 of 11,460
Popping my head in here - a few of your posts interested me especially H1.
I'm a big proponent of trying affordable makeshift DIY hacks / mods to milk that extra 'sonic juice' of of a system, so your fuse and top cap [non]-connector seem doable.
- For replacing the fuse, is this is an easy to find location of the Euforia or is there any circuitry in the way?
- And for the EL32 top cap, would you say that perhaps soldering the existing top wire (silver wire from Xuling's adapter) directly to the top may make any noticeable improvement vs. connected with the normal top socket?

Gotta hand it to ya H1, from your recent descriptions you must be getting sound that beyond what even many sound engineers may be getting. I wonder if you would ever want to upgrade again.

Also @connieflyer did you ever get a chance to compare an adapter from H1 vs. Xuling?

Finally @aqsw those dual 5-tube amps were a speaker amp that uses a series of dual amps, right?

Hi DL...a reply at last lol!:wink:

Re. upgraded fuses...this is a(nother) rather controversial subject, but I must admit that I myself have had my scepticism well and truly dented. The 'Hi-Fi Tuning' replacement in the mains cable feeding my conditioner/filters definitely brought a greater bass depth and overall increased 'energy' to my system. But I suspect the degree is highly dependent upon the level of resolution and clarity in the rest of the system...especially that provided by such as my Mains Regenerator and AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains & Filter units. I can't stress strongly enough the massive difference this conditioning alone made to the final sound. In comparison for example, temporarily going back to a standard multi-socket extension block was absolutely horrifying, and confirmed the expense was worth every single penny/cent! After all, in a hi-fi amp, all the experts stress the absolute importance of a good (expensive) output transformer, and/or power supply...but what good is that if fed by rubbish-laden mains electricity in the first place lol?!! A no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned...:ksc75smile:

And re. the EL32 top cap... again, I suspect the degree of noticeable improvement will depend greatly upon the quality of the rest of the system. But IMHO, removing any connector will probably bring benefit of some kind. However, without gaining direct access to the tube's wire - a practice fraught with possible problems! - I think it would only be worth doing if you firmly clamped the adapter's wire to the top cap before soldering, so as to ensure metal-to-metal contact, and avoid the introduction of solder between the two. Before I started removing the top cap itself (very risky), I would tie the connecting wire to the top cap with strands of copper wire, and then secure with epoxy resin poured into a small piece of rubber tubing covering the cap. I didn't really fancy the idea of extreme heat being transferred to the tube's glass!
However of course, you've then got to be prepared to undo all this (or cut the wire) if you need to change the tube!! So things to think about...especially for perhaps very minimal gain lol!

And as for needing to upgrade the amp...the way this EL38 is developing - as power, driven by the ST CV1052s (EL32), all I can say is that I doubt the new flagship amp - or any other! - could ever surpass what I'm now hearing (and no exaggeration!) by a great enough margin to warrant the extremely high price that would necessarily be incurred...but who knows?...time will tell...:wink::ksc75smile:

Edit...ps. Euforia's internal fuse is easily replaced - it's located in a holder next to the switch...simply prise it open to gain access.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #4,924 of 11,460
That wouldn't be your sweet kitty by any chance would it, mon ami? And there was I envisaging you as a tough, hard-nosed, hard North European...not little softies like us here in the UK...(er, correction...here in England...the Celtic nations are far tougher than we are lol!! :wink::wink:).
However, nice kitty, I must admit lol...:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
I am a big softie. :smile:

The kitten is somewhere in New Jersey. She recently had $7k worth of brain surgery. She has one dedicated foster mama.

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #4,925 of 11,460
I am a big softie. :smile:

The kitten is somewhere in New Jersey. She recently had $7k worth of brain surgery. She has one dedicated foster mama.

Nice to hear your heart is obviously in the right place, O...but then, I always knew that, mon ami...:) :)

BUT...would you have spent $7k on a kitty, no matter how sweet? If so, you're even softer than our own (mad?!) pet lovers lol!!! :wink:....CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #4,926 of 11,460
Well h, it looks like you're having very good results from this new tube. It will be interesting to see what it will do long-term compared to the e l 32. I suppose if I'm going to get in on these I better start looking around for some before they all disappear! I know, I know I said I wasn't going to do this anymore, but then I also said I wasn't going to live this long either! So I can't even trust myself to do what I say. Keep up the good work h

Well, cf, I do hate (really!) to rub it in, but even after just several on/off sessions, I can safely say this tube develops much more quickly than the EL32 (thank goodness! :wink:). Mind you, at the moment it still has an EL32 to bolster it in the power role. However, I've never known a different tube to marry so well with another...perfectly, in fact. This marriage is even now delivering a performance way beyond my wildest dreams, and does indeed confirm once more just what Euforia is capable of...notwithstanding the fact that I've obviously been extremely lucky in its partnering equipment! Fortunately, the lower frequencies are now blending in better, with treble coming through very nicely...which is rather different to the EL32's need for a very long time before bass really develops (and which would seem to confirm @Johnnysound 's suspicion that this is due to the latter's very low heat requirement - and lower anode output, no doubt...).

So now, I just need to be sure that two EL38s can maintain this wonderful FR balance...but if not - as I mentioned before - no problem whatsoever...would even mean one more spare tube lol!...WIN - WIN...for once in my life!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 7, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #4,927 of 11,460
Hey H1 - the #1 Hypnotist of fidelity (or something HAha).
Great, when able I'll go for your fuse and non-connection hack on the Euforia - I'm feelin' that one alone may not make so much difference but probably when combined they may be more noticeable. Do you mind to recommend a good fuse type / brand (something maybe around the $25 range)? Otherwise feel free to send by PM... though I'm in no hurry because I'm actually still overseas, in S. Korea for now, working online and traveling as a sort of "digital nomad".

Wow "horrifying" is a strong word to describe your Euforia direct to mains power vs. with your (AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains & Filter units). But I suspect with how extensively upgraded your amp is, it must still sound quite fantastic directly to mains power as well, perhaps your ears needed time to re-adjust. Nevertheless Most of your custom wiring, power, etc. mods are out of reach for most people so your specific system is clearly in its' own league. I may be able to get somewhat close to yours however with the above mods, as well as the 6 tube multi power adapter made in HK, which I had actually confirmed by another amp designer that it's made of good materials. And on that topic I should repeat that YMMV by a lot depending on the transformer used for it.

PS - I'm enjoyin' reading on your EL38 venture

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #4,928 of 11,460
Hi @DecentLevi ...hope you saw my late edit to my last post, re. the position of Euforia's internal fuse holder.

Plus, if you do decide to tinker with the EL32's top cap, be very careful that it doesn't come loose from the tube...any 'back and forth' movement may well snap the metal wire where it leaves the tube, and leave you in BIG trouble lol! And which is why I advised folks a while ago to 'superglue' all around the top cap's join with the glass, so as to avoid such a potential catastrophe. This problem - plus that of the adapter's top cap connector working loose - is probably why this top cap connection lost a certain popularity, even though it would appear to provide better results than being contained within the tube itself. But IMHO, neither really needs to remain a 'problem'...all that's needed is a bit of glue for the tube's top cap, and a little prising back into position of the adapter's internal cap connectors to reinstate a tight fit...easy lol! :L3000:

Nov 7, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #4,929 of 11,460
Hey H1 - the #1 Hypnotist of fidelity (or something HAha).
Great, when able I'll go for your fuse and non-connection hack on the Euforia - I'm feelin' that one alone may not make so much difference but probably when combined they may be more noticeable. Do you mind to recommend a good fuse type / brand (something maybe around the $25 range)? Otherwise feel free to send by PM... though I'm in no hurry because I'm actually still overseas, in S. Korea for now, working online and traveling as a sort of "digital nomad".

Wow "horrifying" is a strong word to describe your Euforia direct to mains power vs. with your (AirlinkTransformers Balanced Mains & Filter units). But I suspect with how extensively upgraded your amp is, it must still sound quite fantastic directly to mains power as well, perhaps your ears needed time to re-adjust. Nevertheless Most of your custom wiring, power, etc. mods are out of reach for most people so your specific system is clearly in its' own league. I may be able to get somewhat close to yours however with the above mods, as well as the 6 tube multi power adapter made in HK, which I had actually confirmed by another amp designer that it's made of good materials. And on that topic I should repeat that YMMV by a lot depending on the transformer used for it.

PS - I'm enjoyin' reading on your EL38 venture

Hi again DL...we obviously crossed in the airwaves lol!

And yes, 'horrifying' was indeed the correct word to use...and no re-adjustment time would have made the slightest difference, I'm afraid. The entire sound was so poor in comparison, I could only stand a matter of seconds before having to shut everything down...it was that obvious. I simply could not believe the degree of difference...a prime example of how sometimes we don't realise the full overall effect of incremental improvements, not to mention the benefits of quick A/B comparisons in detecting differences.

Re. the fuses, I myself am so far very pleased with the brand 'Hi-Fi Tuning' (only the mains one, so far), and they are in fact being offered on ebay.com by a Canadian seller at ridiculously cheap prices, compared to what I paid here in the UK....grrrrrr!! And my supplier here (of very hi-end gear) reassured me they are indeed very good, and has sold hundreds of them. And they are no worse than even much more expensive makes re. this type of fuse possibly blowing sooner than conventional ones, due to equipment power surges. (And he's never had any problems re. the fuse blowing too late, thereby causing possible disaster! ). So, at the Canadian's prices, one can always get multiples lol :wink:...

ps. Their 'Silver Star' range of fuses are supposed to be really good...

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #4,931 of 11,460
OK...I'll try this again...(this editor is bloomin' hopeless - I go to post my message, then need to sign in and...post GONE!!...so- called "Security error"...huh!! This isn't the first time it's happened either...).

Anyway, as I was saying.....for @DecentLevi @connieflyer and anyone else interested in the 'Hi-Fi Tuning' fuses I previously mentioned, available on ebay.com from a Canadian seller (partsconnexion), it appears the small, 1.6A internal one for the amp is only available as fast blow, whereas our amps currently have a slow blow (1.6T). Whether this is really needed, perhaps Lukasz could confirm. The Silver Star 'large' fuse is also available in a good range, depending upon what your mains equipment requires. If appropriate, these Silver Stars are extremely good value, and a real bargain IMHO :L3000:...(here goes...fingers crossed, this time!!...:wink:).

Nov 7, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #4,933 of 11,460
Hate to say, it but, sometimes that is all the family you have. I would spend that if in that position. Money, I can get,(not easily anymore) a "family" member not so easy.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #4,935 of 11,460
Hate to say, it but, sometimes that is all the family you have. I would spend that if in that position. Money, I can get,(not easily anymore) a "family" member not so easy.

That is desperately sad cf, but sometimes must indeed be true alas....Mind you, I've always understood that very strong tie to 'Man's Best Friend', but not quite with the feline family lol! :wink:...still, a pet is a pet...and more!...(but I'm afraid my prize Koi just get a decent burial, even though they all have names!! :triportsad: :wink::wink:).

On a more cheery (short, in deference to our friend @Oskari !) note, I'm glad to say EL38 (CV450, to be precise) #2 is now in situ, and...well, I could go on and on, but shan't! Suffice to say my slight concern that two in the power slots might just prove a tad too overpowering for my taste was, happily, unfounded. Can't quite understand why this should be, given the bass boost from just one. Perhaps this is an example of 2x 'exact' same tubes always seeming to perform that bit better than 2x dissimilar ones, even though the marriage can sometimes work extremely well...as when the first EL38 was partnering an EL32.
Whatever, even with hardly any hours on these NOS tubes, I cannot believe my luck in discovering this 'undercover' marvel. They show the EL32 to be a truly superb driver, and this combo to take Euforia to previously unheard of heights IMHO.

Er, sorry Oskari, getting carried away again...so I'll finish for now and just show how things are looking at least! :ksc75smile: : BFN...

DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back