Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #3,618 of 11,460
Tried running with the bulls, but with one bad knee and the other failing, even the old bulls, where passing me by.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,620 of 11,460
OMG @angpsi, I just received my pair of Sylvania 6SN7W...plugged them along with the GEC 6080 and I have a huge smily at the moment. This setup just sounds absolutely great!

You just discovered the Motherload. Welcome to our Secret Society. We have to keep it secret to prevent the price of those gems from going even higher :ksc75smile:

Jul 29, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,621 of 11,460
I am glad you are enjoying your tubes. That is a really nice sounding combo. For me, I prefer the RCA 6sn7GT 1947 greys more. They are a little warmer, the Sylvania seem very articulate, but just a little cool. But then everyone is different, and I enjoy all the tubes I have, too many probably, but you can never have too many, according to PCT!

Jul 29, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #3,623 of 11,460
I was afraid you'd say that, too bad you didn't share back then. But we didn't have time for that!

Jul 30, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #3,625 of 11,460
Nice post, H1 !!

Good to see pics of the real people, dedicated to the art of tube amplifier design. That includes you, of course. The idea and the inspiration behind the product. And this product has a history, something that you do not see everyday, you know: an enthusiast group of headfiers, modding to the max their LD amps, with some crazy setups, and rolling tubes like madmen, were seriously considered by a manufacturer, to the point of designing an amplifier (the Elise) that was clearly inspired in the thread. And that was because of the superior sound achieved by the top mods, up to the very limits of what was possible with the LDIII-IV series. In my view, the Elise was designed, in the first place, to overcome that limitations. It is also unseen in this world of mega electronic corporations that your amp can be handmade by a small family firm in Europe with top quality components, for a reasonable price.

Thats why I am waiting patiently for my Euforia...

Cheers,

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #3,626 of 11,460
Hi H1, The discussion about "sinergy" between DACs and tube amps, specifically the Euforia in this case, promises to be a very interesting one. I admit not having the chance yet to hear a Chord Hugo, but know is regarded among the best in its price range. The FPGA architecture, strictly speaking, means that the decoding algorithm of the DAC is upgradeable via software, which is indeed a very desirable feature. Some of the very best DACs do have this function, pioneered by the great Theta DACs. The Schiit Iggy (as I understand) is a modern descendant of the Theta, but much more relevant than this feature in terms of SQ is the decoding format, (and of course the implementation of the analog output) simplified around the current discussion about delta/sigma (the vast majority) vs. multibit DACs.

And I say simplified, because true multibit DACs were abandoned many years ago by the industry, they were very expensive to manufacture, needing a precise laser trim on hundreds of "ladders", and only recently, audio manufacturers identified a renewed demand for multibit DACs, so they hurriedly implemented specific industrial multibit ICs for audio purposes. Some with great success, like the Iggy. But, how they compare against true multibit DACs, expensive, hand trimmed, made exclusively for audio many years ago, and never made anymore ? Interesting question, and in many ways similar to NOS versus current production tubes. In fact, there is a cult following around pieces like the UltraAnalog 20400A, a multibit module made up to 1990 or so, which is, truly, the GEC of all DACs !! This one was used in the absolute top high end DACs of the time, among them the magnificent Spectral, and their current production at nearly 20k a piece, still uses it, as I understand. Kind of a NOS DAC, if you want. More modestly, my Parasound DAC 2000, 1990 vintage, also have this one, have compared it with quite a few much more modern DACs, and while you can say that this or that one are maybe better in some aspects, none of them even comes close against its utterly analog, un-digital, expansive sound, or its ultradeep, room shaking bass. Now I understand the cult. And this DAC just sings with tubes, as you can imagine. Anyway, this suggests that perhaps all the new technology does not necessarily offer better audio, as the industry want us to believe. And come on, we collect old tubes, so we now that.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,628 of 11,460
@Johnnysound Thanks a lot for your discussion of DAC history. I enjoy reading technical things when even I have a remote chance of understanding, and a trip down nostalgia lane is always fun for an old geezer like me (and @connieflyer if I dare speak for him). When I got out of speaker based high end audio I sold my Theta V. It's the only thing I really regret selling. I think your Parasound DAC is going to strike up a searing romance with Euforia when she arrives :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back