Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Dec 6, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #7,441 of 11,460
Good Morning CJ, I too have heard remarkable results from older albums, some are really outstanding. PP&M were usually well done, considering it was a small group that engineers had to mike for, and all acoustical. Have been trying different music genre's and find many that otherwise would not be too pleasant to listen to, are quite good, including artists like Ivan Torrent and Lisa Gerrard have much more depth than previously noted. Some of the recordings I have re-discovered makes the artists abilities stand out. These two examples are of course you tube so fidelity is not the greatest, but in original recordings they are great.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #7,442 of 11,460
Good Morning CJ, I too have heard remarkable results from older albums, some are really outstanding. PP&M were usually well done, considering it was a small group that engineers had to mike for, and all acoustical. Have been trying different music genre's and find many that otherwise would not be too pleasant to listen to, are quite good, including artists like Ivan Torrent and Lisa Gerrard have much more depth than previously noted. Some of the recordings I have re-discovered makes the artists abilities stand out. These two examples are of course you tube so fidelity is not the greatest, but in original recordings they are great.

Yo cf, it certainly is yet another wonderful bonus of these GL KT88 tubes that they make old favourites sound so much better. In fact, all my albums are like hearing anew - as has happened a good few times before in this amazing journey of ours these past few years lol :L3000:. But of all, nothing - not even the mighty EL11/EL39 combo - matches these 88s for impressive delivery in all areas you care to name. Back from PP&M to slightly more recent fare, I couldn't believe how different Kate Bush's 'The Whole Story' sounded today...confirming my recent assertion that my Euforia is indeed now sounding like a completely different amp, and which at times is almost a little disconcerting lol(!)...being a departure from what I've known for such a long time. However, I wouldn't trade this 'new' sound for anything!! :wink:...especially after basking in her 'Wuthering Heights'; 'The man with the child in his eyes'; 'Army Dreamers' and my favourite : 'Babooshka'!! Soundstage especially is nothing short of surreal, and totally addictive lol :ksc75smile:....CJ

ps. The stage of those 2 tracks you posted must also be something else via our Euforia/KT88 setup!...

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #7,443 of 11,460
41C2786B-525B-4F18-90C5-0511190EBCD1.jpeg

4 x Genalex Gold Lion KT77s...already fully burned in. I am not sure if the silicone rings do something or not, but they fit snugly...and the quad sounds absolutely great. As I said in my previous post, I have more than a few “New Sensor” Russian tubes of various types (not KT88s !) so I am used to their sound, and the GL KT77s are the best sounding of them all...including the mighty TS KT150s. I mean, as triodes in Euforia. Clean, clear, dynamic, spacious, with deep, tight bass, and (most important) with a lot of the midrange “magic” of the classic EL34s. The GL 77s are true beam tetrodes, and (critics say) the most accurate reproduction to date of the original, legendary Genalex KT77, an scarce and super expensive tube, even more so than the original KT88s.

They enjoy glowing reviews, but (as allways) it all depends on the amp being used. They certainly sound great in Ultralinear amps like my PA, (also in SE amps) and I must add that they are even better as triodes in the OTL Euforia.

As powers In my PA, bass was super strong & deep ( a bit too much for my tastes) but in Euforia their “triode bass” was way more controlled, precise, musical, while being some of the deepest bass ever from this amp. I do not value that much the “strongest” bass, like the thunderous one from the KT150s, (probably without peer in this regard) but the most precisely defined. In fact, the 77s deep bass taxed my Senns HD579s to their limit...clearly a job for higher cans. Anyway, the KT77s quad proved fantastic as preamp tubes, with soul, life, “punch” and not a trace of the usual “dryness” of most new production tubes...

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #7,445 of 11,460

4 x Genalex Gold Lion KT77s...already fully burned in. I am not sure if the silicone rings do something or not, but they fit snugly...and the quad sounds absolutely great. As I said in my previous post, I have more than a few “New Sensor” Russian tubes of various types (not KT88s !) so I am used to their sound, and the GL KT77s are the best sounding of them all...including the mighty TS KT150s. I mean, as triodes in Euforia. Clean, clear, dynamic, spacious, with deep, tight bass, and (most important) with a lot of the midrange “magic” of the classic EL34s. The GL 77s are true beam tetrodes, and (critics say) the most accurate reproduction to date of the original, legendary Genalex KT77, an scarce and super expensive tube, even more so than the original KT88s.

They enjoy glowing reviews, but (as allways) it all depends on the amp being used. They certainly sound great in Ultralinear amps like my PA, (also in SE amps) and I must add that they are even better as triodes in the OTL Euforia.

As powers In my PA, bass was super strong & deep ( a bit too much for my tastes) but in Euforia their “triode bass” was way more controlled, precise, musical, while being some of the deepest bass ever from this amp. I do not value that much the “strongest” bass, like the thunderous one from the KT150s, (probably without peer in this regard) but the most precisely defined. In fact, the 77s deep bass taxed my Senns HD579s to their limit...clearly a job for higher cans. Anyway, the KT77s quad proved fantastic as preamp tubes, with soul, life, “punch” and not a trace of the usual “dryness” of most new production tubes...

Thank you for sharing these impressions. I have just installed and begun evaluating 2 GL KT88 powers driven by 2 GL KT66 into Elise. 1st impression is that these provide amazing clarity, detail, soundstage with by far the most realistic instrument placement I've ever encountered. In a string quartet recording each instrumental voice emanates from a distinct and well-defined space. Tonality is nicely musical but in this early stage a bit dry / clinical, hoping for a bit more euphony with further burn-in. If that doesn't occur I may try the TS 7581A as drivers, and of course per @hypnos1 amd @connieflyer at some point may acquire two more GL KT 88's to run as a quad.

it would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried KT88 as powers driven by KT77 in search of the best charactersitcs of KT88 (detail, stage, extension and overall "authority" for lack of a better word) with the KT77 midrange "magic" decribed above by @Johnnysound of the KT77. In any case, this journey with our amps is certainly great fun and musically rewarding. Thanks to all for the great input shared on this forum. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #7,446 of 11,460
Those GL KT88 should warm/sweeten up after some decent burn in @LoryWiv , mine in the early stages sounded exactly as you've described, they now sound wonderfully sweet without loosing any clarity or detail. Also like you I'm interested in the KT77 too, especially after @Johnnysound excellent review, I must admit I might well get some next week.

On another note, again after @Johnnysound's review I've managed to pick up a used quad of TS KT150 in what appears to be excellent condition off you know where for £41, so far, they seem like a bargain, I can't really add much from what has been said but so far am really enjoying them, very clear, clean, big, full, muscular sound, and very dynamic,great extension at both ends, bass goes super deep, but is also very clean, no bloom/bloat,mids are also very detailed and full, less sweet than either KT66 or 88, I wouldn't call them refined but they are most certainly giving a fun sound!, also I have to say greatly improved when driven by a pair of NOS GEC KT66, which just give them a bit of extra body and tone.
20191206_113744[728].jpg 20191206_233207[733].jpg

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #7,447 of 11,460
Still burning in and evaluating the sound qualities, but one thing that is immediately apparent is that KT88 driving KT66 in Elise is visually majestic to behold:
KT66 Driving KT88 #2.jpg

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #7,448 of 11,460

Hi J...and thanks for your very interesting comments on the GL KT77, and glad you love the sound as quartet in Euforia - yet another wonderful tube for our amps (and us!) to enjoy :). Plus, from the sound of it, further grist to the KT77 vs KT88 debate lol! :wink:

I myself continue to be so enthralled with each and every one of my stalwart favourite test tracks/albums that I'm finally happy to say that my tube experimentation/testing is truly at an end...but I look forward to others' findings of perhaps a mix using these KT77s.

Once again, who would ever have dreamt that we could use these tubes to such great effect in our OTL amps...particularly as both driver or power, and especially as a quad lol!! :ksc75smile: And once again also, many thanks indeed must go to @ZRW0 for setting us on this trail by suggesting I try converting the 7581A...the rest is now history! :L3000:

ps. Any thoughts about trying the KT88 yourself J? From the sound of it you've already got quite an arsenal of tubes lol!! :dt880smile::dt880smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #7,449 of 11,460
I had an unhappy surprise this evening with loud hum upon powering on my amp. I re-seated all tubes and adapters, and now the music is splendid with a hum free, inky black background. Hopefully just a transient gremlin.:triportsad:

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #7,450 of 11,460
Thank you for sharing these impressions. I have just installed and begun evaluating 2 GL KT88 powers driven by 2 GL KT66 into Elise. 1st impression is that these provide amazing clarity, detail, soundstage with by far the most realistic instrument placement I've ever encountered. In a string quartet recording each instrumental voice emanates from a distinct and well-defined space. Tonality is nicely musical but in this early stage a bit dry / clinical, hoping for a bit more euphony with further burn-in. If that doesn't occur I may try the TS 7581A as drivers, and of course per @hypnos1 amd @connieflyer at some point may acquire two more GL KT 88's to run as a quad.

it would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried KT88 as powers driven by KT77 in search of the best charactersitcs of KT88 (detail, stage, extension and overall "authority" for lack of a better word) with the KT77 midrange "magic" decribed above by @Johnnysound of the KT77. In any case, this journey with our amps is certainly great fun and musically rewarding. Thanks to all for the great input shared on this forum. :smile_phones:

Those GL KT88 should warm/sweeten up after some decent burn in @LoryWiv , mine in the early stages sounded exactly as you've described, they now sound wonderfully sweet without loosing any clarity or detail. Also like you I'm interested in the KT77 too, especially after @Johnnysound excellent review, I must admit I might well get some next week.

On another note, again after @Johnnysound's review I've managed to pick up a used quad of TS KT150 in what appears to be excellent condition off you know where for £41, so far, they seem like a bargain, I can't really add much from what has been said but so far am really enjoying them, very clear, clean, big, full, muscular sound, and very dynamic,great extension at both ends, bass goes super deep, but is also very clean, no bloom/bloat,mids are also very detailed and full, less sweet than either KT66 or 88, I wouldn't call them refined but they are most certainly giving a fun sound!, also I have to say greatly improved when driven by a pair of NOS GEC KT66, which just give them a bit of extra body and tone.

Hi guys...great to hear you too are loving what these KTs can do for our amps. And yes LW, as S says, they do develop nicely over time - in all areas. In my own setup, the quad GL KT88s are truly superb, and with no lacking whatsoever in the mids I personally therefore feel no need at all for any more from the KT77, so shall pass on those. But I look forward to what anyone else may find using these, especially perhaps as drivers to the 88 :smile_phones:. What is still confounding me about the KT88 quad - along with so much else! - is a soundstage construction that has me wondering how on earth 'just' another tube can in fact create something so magical compared to anything I've ever heard before...complete with yes, that amazing positioning of all music elements within a multi-dimensional frame...truly delicious!! :ksc75smile:

And so I say WELL DONE to all who have joined this latest (blazing!) trail...may others also follow suit, now these KT tubes have been so emphatically vindicated...CJ

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #7,451 of 11,460
I had an unhappy surprise this evening with loud hum upon powering on my amp. I re-seated all tubes and adapters, and now the music is splendid with a hum free, inky black background. Hopefully just a transient gremlin.:triportsad:

Hi LW...loud hum often is indeed due to poor seating/connection in the amp or adapters...otherwise not a good sign lol! :wink: Am so glad it was the former in your case!! :L3000: And hope you now remain trouble-free...BFN...CJ

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #7,452 of 11,460
Good Morning, I have a quetion for those that are using the Kt's. I noticed when I first got them, that I had to increase the volume know some over my normal tubes. But I noticed the last few days, that with all the additional burning in, that I have turned the volume knob back some. Especially with the pre-amp outs. Wondered if anyone else had noticed this or if this is just a fluke. It is almost as if the tubes through the burn in process, have loosened up and are galloping instead of trotting if that makes sense. Those KT150's are such great looking tubes, would love to hear a quad, may have to buy a second amp with a quad of those installed as a static piece, and use my original for the music!

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #7,453 of 11,460
If anyone is looking for one of these tubes, one is available here 1x Philips MiniWatt E80CC Pinched Waist Smooth Nickel Plate New Tube in Orig Box on ebay for only $5909.00. Yikes, that is getting way up there, you would be up a creek if you needed two!

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #7,454 of 11,460
Good Morning, I have a quetion for those that are using the Kt's. I noticed when I first got them, that I had to increase the volume know some over my normal tubes. But I noticed the last few days, that with all the additional burning in, that I have turned the volume knob back some. Especially with the pre-amp outs. Wondered if anyone else had noticed this or if this is just a fluke. It is almost as if the tubes through the burn in process, have loosened up and are galloping instead of trotting if that makes sense. Those KT150's are such great looking tubes, would love to hear a quad, may have to buy a second amp with a quad of those installed as a static piece, and use my original for the music!

Hi cf...me too - I'm sure those giant plates will take quite a while to 'wake up'...especially in new tubes, and only just ticking over in our amps (which bodes extremely well for a much longer than normal life, thank goodness! :wink::)).

As for the KT150s, I'm glad actually that @Scutey 's findings have confirmed my lack of eagerness to spend the amount of money usually asked for them lol!! :ksc75smile:

ps. By the way S...congrats on also getting some NOS GECs - looks like you're infatuated by these KT tubes even more than I!! :L3000::L3000:...WELL DONE!...CJ

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #7,455 of 11,460
If anyone is looking for one of these tubes, one is available here 1x Philips MiniWatt E80CC Pinched Waist Smooth Nickel Plate New Tube in Orig Box on ebay for only $5909.00. Yikes, that is getting way up there, you would be up a creek if you needed two!

Huh cf...for that kind of money I'd want all components in solid 24K gold...at the very least lol! And I'm quite sure any improvement over our KT88s as driver would
be only minimal indeed!! :wink:...BFN...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back