Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 5, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #7,156 of 11,448
Quick question on the EL39 tube. How many makes are there that use the silver covering at the lower third of the tube? I have 3 EL39's but no indication other than the silver as to what make they are. Thanks in anticipation.

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #7,157 of 11,448
Well, I am not to far from the fire. The KT88 looks to be an option. But why stop there, why not just go for the Kt150 a d end it now!!!! Seriously, sometimes it makes me wonder where it will end, with ALL the good tubes I have acquired now, really must start the process of selling off some of the stock. Keep saying that, except for all the GEC tubes, I have not done this!
Hi CF, hi guys,

(Yes I'm still around)

I'd not take the KT-150 route with the Euforia if I were you.
The KT-150 draws a lot of current (2A each - although some 6AS7G can even draw more) and does massive heat dissipation.
I mean MASSIVE. Also the tube is quite large, almost 6cm diameter at its middle height (definitely larger in diameter than 6080, 5998, 421A, ...). I'm afraid it may not let enough room between the tubes and the PS for the system to cool down properly and not to overheat.
My current amp supports such tubes (see my avatar) but I confess I was very uncomfortable on first usages because of all the heat they were (and still are) emitting.
I then found the 7581A that produces the same sound as the KT-150 on my amp, while dissipating much much less heat...

My two cents,

Erwan.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,158 of 11,448
I have an amp that can use a pair of 6336 tubes that draw 5A each for 10A together. It can also use 4 x 2.5A tubes which I run every day. Using socket savers insulates the chassis so that the heat does not build up as much, and a small fan helps as well to keep the temperatures well within specs for the amp.
I would not worry about using a pair of 2A tubes in amp designed for 2.5A tubes as long as the amp is well ventilated.

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #7,159 of 11,448
Hi Erewan The 150s were just having a little fun, to tease CJ to just get to the end of the line to save some money! Appreciate your findings and passing on this info. My wife of kt66 will be here tomorrow, and just in time. As the 7581A's over 200 hours now. Back to the burn!!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #7,160 of 11,448
Hi CF, hi guys,

(Yes I'm still around)

I'd not take the KT-150 route with the Euforia if I were you.
The KT-150 draws a lot of current (2A each - although some 6AS7G can even draw more) and does massive heat dissipation.
I mean MASSIVE. Also the tube is quite large, almost 6cm diameter at its middle height (definitely larger in diameter than 6080, 5998, 421A, ...). I'm afraid it may not let enough room between the tubes and the PS for the system to cool down properly and not to overheat.
My current amp supports such tubes (see my avatar) but I confess I was very uncomfortable on first usages because of all the heat they were (and still are) emitting.
I then found the 7581A that produces the same sound as the KT-150 on my amp, while dissipating much much less heat...

My two cents,

Erwan.

Good to know you're still looking in now and then Erwan. And yes, like @connieflyer , I myself wouldn't even consider going anywhere near the KT150 lol!! And although it wouldn't be reaching anything like the usual temperatures in our (unorthodox!) application, I'm sure other factors would make it unadviseable despite @mordy 's mention of the heater current draw being even less than the 6AS7G/6080!!

It's very interesting that you find the 7581A sounding the same as the KT150 however...especially as I personally am finding the KT66 a generally more refined, better balanced tube with even greater clarity than the 7581A lol! :wink: But then, of course, the use of these tubes in Euforia is bound to give different results to an amp pushing them much harder and with different biasing. Actually, it's a minor miracle our amps can get such results from them at all!!! :L3000:

ps. Mind you, I have noticed the occasional user of this tube family preferring other members over the KT150. So obviously - as usual! - much will depend on the rest of one's system. All I need/want now is to see :1. If Euforia can accommodate the KT88 as seemlessly as the 7581A and KT66, and 2. If it does indeed perform 'better' than either/both lol!... as many seem to report :ksc75smile:....CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #7,161 of 11,448
Quick question on the EL39 tube. How many makes are there that use the silver covering at the lower third of the tube? I have 3 EL39's but no indication other than the silver as to what make they are. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi bt.

It looks like the only ones to make the silver banded EL39 were from the Philips stable...and I myself have only seen them come from the French factories - Dario, RT or Mazda (France). And they all look equally well constructed and sound equally good, so the label - or lack of it - shouldn't really matter lol :):)...CJ

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #7,162 of 11,448
Hi Erewan The 150s were just having a little fun, to tease CJ to just get to the end of the line to save some money! Appreciate your findings and passing on this info. My wife of kt66 will be here tomorrow, and just in time. As the 7185a's over 200 hours now. Back to the burn!!

Yo cf...fear not, I have eyes only for the KT88 lol! :L3000: And if what some folks in this KT camp say about it compared to the 66 - and if Euforia welcomes it aboard! - things could get even more interesting indeed in a few days' time...:wink:. Especially as I got an unused pair of Genalex Gold Lions from the Czech republic at a good bit below the average price.

Anyway, for your eyes - and others' - I must modify my recent comment on the KT66's bass impact compared to the 7581A. Just like the 7581A, these KT66s are giving me the runaround - (they must have been wigging in while I made said comment lol!). With just another 9 hrs or so on them, they're giving me all the 'oomph' I could ever want...in combination with the 1x 7581A and 1x EL39. From Raymond Daveluy's Bach Toccata and Fugue to Cat Stevens's 'Tea for the Tiller Man' (both in hi-res), bass is astonishingly deep, rich and detailed...more so than I have ever heard before from my setup.

And despite fear of repetition, this is all still with a delivery of unparalleled clarity and precision...vocal enunciation has never been so crystal clear, or instruments occupying their very own space in the stage without losing cohesion and interaction. No doubt this is being aided by these same hallmark qualities of both the Naim UnitiCore server/player and Chord Hugo2 as DAC (not to mention mains conditioning and UP-OCC silver and copper wires throughout...edit...forgot the Meze Empyreans!), but at least such qualitative differences should also apply to all other systems.

So, folks, I can't recommend highly enough that you have at least one reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66 driving another as power in the mix...unless you want to wait for my results with the KT88 lol!! :ksc75smile:...HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #7,163 of 11,448
Yo cf...fear not, I have eyes only for the KT88 lol! :L3000: And if what some folks in this KT camp say about it compared to the 66 - and if Euforia welcomes it aboard! - things could get even more interesting indeed in a few days' time...:wink:. Especially as I got an unused pair of Genalex Gold Lions from the Czech republic at a good bit below the average price.

Anyway, for your eyes - and others' - I must modify my recent comment on the KT66's bass impact compared to the 7581A. Just like the 7581A, these KT66s are giving me the runaround - (they must have been wigging in while I made said comment lol!). With just another 9 hrs or so on them, they're giving me all the 'oomph' I could ever want...in combination with the 1x 7581A and 1x EL39. From Raymond Daveluy's Bach Toccata and Fugue to Cat Stevens's 'Tea for the Tiller Man' (both in hi-res), bass is astonishingly deep, rich and detailed...more so than I have ever heard before from my setup.

And despite fear of repetition, this is all still with a delivery of unparalleled clarity and precision...vocal enunciation has never been so crystal clear, or instruments occupying their very own space in the stage without losing cohesion and interaction. No doubt this is being aided by these same hallmark qualities of both the Naim UnitiCore server/player and Chord Hugo2 as DAC (not to mention mains conditioning and UP-OCC silver and copper wires throughout...edit...forgot the Meze Empyreans!), but at least such qualitative differences should also apply to all other systems.

So, folks, I can't recommend highly enough that you have at least one reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66 driving another as power in the mix...unless you want to wait for my results with the KT88 lol!! :ksc75smile:...HAPPY LISTENING!...CJ

Hi Colin, I’ll wait for your results with the KT88s, and keep on waiting until you arrive to the KT150s !! (Lol) I have a quartet of those awesome tubes, and reviews say generally that they are an “evolution” of the KT88s/KT120s with the same overall sonic signature, and not only more powerful but with improved resolution, detail and bass rendition over its predecessors. As pentodes in my PA they were impressively BIG sounding, highly detailed top to bottom, and the bass was...well, room shaking to say the least. However, at the time I was using the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s ( an EL34 variant) and much preferred their sweet, airy, organic sound and beautiful bass over the high res but somewhat “dry” sounding KT150s in comparative terms. In truth, I only used the 150s a couple of hours without allowing for proper burn-in. In triode mode, things might be quite different, but by your comments around the GL KT66s, you are describing almost exactly the kind of sound of the GL KT77s...I guess the “house sound” of the Gold Lions.

And since tube rolling with Euforia is now entering into “new production”, relatively high power pentodes (like the 7581A) with good results, I think that Euforia has shown to have enough juice to properly drive these tubes in triode mode, and probably will do with the “big boys” of the KT family up to the 150s. Again, tubes sound different as pentodes compared to triode mode, but their basic sound characteristics are there...still, only experimentation will tell how they perform in Euforia...BTW, adaptors are coming for the 7581A, and it looks like they accept KT66s and even KT88s and KT150s (??) please confirm, before I blow my Euforia into pieces...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #7,164 of 11,448
Hi Colin, I’ll wait for your results with the KT88s, and keep on waiting until you arrive to the KT150s !! (Lol) I have a quartet of those awesome tubes, and reviews say generally that they are an “evolution” of the KT88s/KT120s with the same overall sonic signature, and not only more powerful but with improved resolution, detail and bass rendition over its predecessors. As pentodes in my PA they were impressively BIG sounding, highly detailed top to bottom, and the bass was...well, room shaking to say the least. However, at the time I was using the Genalex Gold Lion KT77s ( an EL34 variant) and much preferred their sweet, airy, organic sound and beautiful bass over the high res but somewhat “dry” sounding KT150s in comparative terms. In truth, I only used the 150s a couple of hours without allowing for proper burn-in. In triode mode, things might be quite different, but by your comments around the GL KT66s, you are describing almost exactly the kind of sound of the GL KT77s...I guess the “house sound” of the Gold Lions.

And since tube rolling with Euforia is now entering into “new production”, relatively high power pentodes (like the 7581A) with good results, I think that Euforia has shown to have enough juice to properly drive these tubes in triode mode, and probably will do with the “big boys” of the KT family up to the 150s. Again, tubes sound different as pentodes compared to triode mode, but their basic sound characteristics are there...still, only experimentation will tell how they perform in Euforia...BTW, adaptors are coming for the 7581A, and it looks like they accept KT66s and even KT88s and KT150s (??) please confirm, before I blow my Euforia into pieces...

Hi J...nice to get different folks' findings re. these KT tubes. Interesting also that you mention how I find the KT66 in my setup sounding similar to the KT77 (which some KT users seem to like most of all lol!). And so, once again, it obviously comes down to different setups/ears/preferences. Much will depend upon if I notice much difference between the 66 and 88 as to whether I give in to total insanity and try a pair of KT150s after all...I do like that candle shape...er, uh oh, just looked at the price of 'em...no way, I'm afraid!!! :astonished::astonished::triportsad:

And yes J, all these KT tubes have the same pinout, so theoretically the 7581A adapter should suit! It's only the EL34 that differs by not having g3 connected to the cathode internally...

And finally I must say I'm fast coming to the conclusion that IMHO this KT tube family is right up there with the very best...not too far off the fabled 2A3/300b/45 perhaps? And certainly a good step or 2 above any 6**7/6AS7G/6080 et al :wink::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...CJ

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #7,165 of 11,448
Looked at the price on amazon, $89 US, was not real good, but doable if warranted. But the capabilities of producing that much power is beyond what I need or want for the headphone amp, so will, at most go with the KT88's if I do not like the KT66's enough.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #7,166 of 11,448
Looked at the price on amazon, $89 US, was not real good, but doable if warranted. But the capabilities of producing that much power is beyond what I need or want for the headphone amp, so will, at most go with the KT88's if I do not like the KT66's enough.

Yo cf...time will indeed tell lol :wink:. But given the superlative performance I'm now getting from the KT66 - as both driver and power, I'm even more eager for those 88s to get here!! :ksc75smile:...( but will still keep my eyes open for a 'reasonably' priced pair of 150s!). On a related note, it's very interesting that I haven't yet seen a single used reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66 for sale...or other (Russian) reissue KT actually...or reissue TS 7581A. Speaks loud volumes to me anyway lol! :L3000:...CJ

ps. That KT150 does indeed seem way OTT in its spec for our purposes/amps...but it sure looks nice!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #7,167 of 11,448
You got the quad of KT66 in matched, 24 hour burn in, and they are sounding excellent. Can tell they won't need anywhere near the 7581 tubes. First song was Hi Rez 2Cellos and the deep sonorous sound of the the cello's was rich and full. Vocals are good as well, about where the 7185's were at 100 hours. Bass is a little richer, and overall tone is warmer and more body than the 7581's. Holst's Jupiter is vibrant and stage is wide and rich. Moving on to RImsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade op35, bassoon just the right depth to it, flute and harp played together like they had been married forever. Violins came in and music swelled to a cresendo felt like a live presentation! Instrument separation and location is the best I have heard on this amp. Even the tiny part that the triangle has was clear and immediate. It was not played in the foreground, but was clearly there where it should have been. Dianna Krall I'll see you in my dreams, piano, guitar and violin, not to mention her voice was as close to a live presentation as I have heard with the Euforia. Anyone looking for a quad of 7581a's with 200 hour+ burnin will sell for what I paid for them plus shipping

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #7,168 of 11,448
Well CJ, I am convinced these KT66's hit all the bases (not withstanding your results with the KT88) these 66's are going to be my main tubes, so will sell my TS 7581a's as with this quad, not even burned in all the way I know I won't be going back to other tubes now. Not to say if the KT88's sound even better to you that I would not buy a pair of them! The TS 7581a's sound really great, I am impressed with them but I like the sound of these better. Each to his own. When are your KT88's coming in? When you get the chance run them in as powers and the KT66 as drivers once for me, would be interested in the difference. Hope all is well

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #7,169 of 11,448
Forgot to add photos, getting old....

20191106_131323.jpg 20191106_131340.jpg

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #7,170 of 11,448
Have you tried the 6L6's yet? I thought you had purchase some of those as well. The KT150 is a beautiful tube, always wanted to use it, but in the Euforia I think it will be overkill, not to mention getting pricey. I admit to looking at this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=VRHK65F0PBS2EVC7XAZG . MUZISHARE X10 Class A Sinle-Ended 300B KT150 Tube Integrated Amplifier/Power Amplifier/Phono Amp 51rXIXPCC9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg uses a pair of them. Just under $3000, don't know where I would put it, but that never stopped my yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back