Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #7,066 of 11,460
CJ, if you could use KT66, I don’t see why you can’t run 6L6 or EL34.

I like the implementation of 6V6 in my Studio Six. Perhaps try that too. It’s cheaper and plentiful.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #7,067 of 11,460
CJ, if you could use KT66, I don’t see why you can’t run 6L6 or EL34.

I like the implementation of 6V6 in my Studio Six. Perhaps try that too. It’s cheaper and plentiful.

Hi UT. From all the comments I've read so far from users of the 6L6 family, there seem to be few (if any!) that at the cheaper reissue prices perform better than the TS 7581A or the Genalex Gold Lion KT66...and I have far too many tubes already (even if nothing to your own M! :ksc75smile:). So I shall leave any other testing to those who may want to give them a try lol...:wink:.

ps. Many also recommend the EL34 only if you want/need even more enhanced mids...and I'm getting quite enough already thanks!! :L3000:...CHEERS!...CJ

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #7,068 of 11,460
OK guys.....................................GOOD - No, GREAT news re. the reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66.....................................

After a (very) bad day, it was rescued (once again!) by coming home to a package of our wondrous glass marvels - ie. a matched pair of these Electro-Harmonix reissue Genalex KT66s. And I'm happy, if not very pleasantly surprised after @DecentLevi 's unfortunate experience to say that straight out of the box, and as a driver to a 7581A power, there's no hint whatsoever of hum, clipping or distortion of any kind! Even with the vol knob at max, no music playing, or at unlistenable playing volume levels.

And what's even more surprising (and exciting!) is the fact that straight out of the box, it's sounding very good indeed lol :smile_phones:...far better than the new 7581A did as driver in the early days. Apparently these tubes from Hot Rox UK have had a certain amount of burn-in already, but nonetheless I'm sure it's nowhere near the full amount (150+ hours minimum IMHO) this tube family needs. So to sound this good already bodes extremely well for this reasonably priced tube. And going by my initial gut reaction after years of experimenting with 'unorthodox' tubes (and which is usually not too far off the mark, fortunately!), I suspect this KT66 could well eventually surpass the 7581A...truly, lol! :L3000:

And as @UntilThen says , the KT66 is indeed a beautiful tube...and this particular Russian (again) reissue looks as well constructed as I'm sure to be close to, if not as good as, the original...a thing of beauty indeed. It's also a very large tube, as can be seen from the photos below. But more important, of course, is how it sounds...and apart from stage needing to develop a bit more yet - which it will most certainly do with more hours on it - it's already a match for the reissue Tung Sol 7581A...amazing!

Plus, I have just popped one in the power slot - driven by its partner - and once again, total silence where it should be, and still not the slightest hint of distortion or complaint from the amp. And this is with one of Mrsx's (first) adapters...which will be fine for burn-in, but will be replaced with one of my own ASAP lol! :wink:

And so DL, regarding your bad experience, I can only surmise that either your tubes are at fault, or your adapters...unless there's something very strange going on re. compatibility with some of your other gear...???? I myself can't see why there should be any difference between NOS tubes and these identically constructed reissues (although stranger things have happened lol!)...but I've no intention of paying silly money for the former, especially given how these particular copies are sounding already lol! :ksc75smile: I just hope your own tubes prove to be OK in your next amp...CJ

ps...............PHOTOS......

pps. Can't wait to get a lot more hours on these beauties...:gs1000smile:...
Oh no, hear we go again!! :wink::wink::laughing::laughing:

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #7,070 of 11,460
Afraid so, S...but it all started with ZRW0, so I blame him lol! :wink:

ps. Man, this is one gorgeous looking (and sounding) tube...and its origins are BRITISH...whoopee!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
It certainly is a looker, h1, has a rather muscular look to it compared to the 7581A, and the fact it's origins are british means I shall just have to force myself to buy a pair, just to confirm what you're saying, of course! :wink::laughing:

Oct 31, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #7,072 of 11,460
Always liked the looks of the kt66, and I am tempted again, I've got to get off the internet for a while this is starting to cost more money than I need to spend. And when I croak the guy that's going to get all the electronics that I have here is it going to have a clue as the what tubes go with what tubes and I'm not going to write down the instructions either! But at the prices that they're asking for these reissue tubes I may just have to buy a pair of them. Oh good lord I just said I was going to buy a pair of them CJ, if I ever get over to England you better make yourself scarce! Good luck with the tube CJ.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #7,073 of 11,460
OK guys.....................................GOOD - No, GREAT news re. the reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT66.....................................

After a (very) bad day, it was rescued (once again!) by coming home to a package of our wondrous glass marvels - ie. a matched pair of these Electro-Harmonix reissue Genalex KT66s. And I'm happy, if not very pleasantly surprised after @DecentLevi 's unfortunate experience to say that straight out of the box, and as a driver to a 7581A power, there's no hint whatsoever of hum, clipping or distortion of any kind! Even with the vol knob at max, no music playing, or at unlistenable playing volume levels.

And what's even more surprising (and exciting!) is the fact that straight out of the box, it's sounding very good indeed lol :smile_phones:...far better than the new 7581A did as driver in the early days. Apparently these tubes from Hot Rox UK have had a certain amount of burn-in already, but nonetheless I'm sure it's nowhere near the full amount (150+ hours minimum IMHO) this tube family needs. So to sound this good already bodes extremely well for this reasonably priced tube. And going by my initial gut reaction after years of experimenting with 'unorthodox' tubes (and which is usually not too far off the mark, fortunately!), I suspect this KT66 could well eventually surpass the 7581A...truly, lol! :L3000:

And as @UntilThen says , the KT66 is indeed a beautiful tube...and this particular Russian (again) reissue looks as well constructed as I'm sure to be close to, if not as good as, the original...a thing of beauty indeed. It's also a very large tube, as can be seen from the photos below. But more important, of course, is how it sounds...and apart from stage needing to develop a bit more yet - which it will most certainly do with more hours on it - it's already a match for the reissue Tung Sol 7581A...amazing!

Plus, I have just popped one in the power slot - driven by its partner - and once again, total silence where it should be, and still not the slightest hint of distortion or complaint from the amp. And this is with one of Mrsx's (first) adapters...which will be fine for burn-in, but will be replaced with one of my own ASAP lol! :wink:

And so DL, regarding your bad experience, I can only surmise that either your tubes are at fault, or your adapters...unless there's something very strange going on re. compatibility with some of your other gear...???? I myself can't see why there should be any difference between NOS tubes and these identically constructed reissues (although stranger things have happened lol!)...but I've no intention of paying silly money for the former, especially given how these particular copies are sounding already lol! :ksc75smile: I just hope your own tubes prove to be OK in your next amp...CJ

ps...............PHOTOS......

pps. Can't wait to get a lot more hours on these beauties...:gs1000smile:...
You are having too much fun, @hypnos1, or perhaps just the right amount. Question on the Genalex Gold Lion KT66: They look to be quiter large, do they fit as a driver pair comfortably in the Elise / Euforia sockets? Photos welcomed!

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #7,074 of 11,460
I think CJ is done for tonight LoryWiv,, but CJ's pictures show they fit fine in both sockets. I am considering these as well..
The pictures are on the previous page.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #7,075 of 11,460
I think CJ is done for tonight LoryWiv,, but CJ's pictures show they fit fine in both sockets. I am considering these as well..
I've just ordered a pair, with a bit of luck they should arrive by Saturday, in the meantime I shall enjoy the burn in of the 7581A :beyersmile:

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #7,076 of 11,460
Right you are. Thank you @connieflyer

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #7,079 of 11,460
Now approaching 140 hours and back on the pre amp out for the last hour or so, and whatever the problem was with the mids, last time, all is well again. Weird. Very nice across the board. Perhaps the tubes heard me say I was looking into getting the KT66's to replace them, and decided to play nice! Well, it is as good a reason as I could decern, nothing physical has been changed, including the playlist, from last time when mids were recessed. One of the reasons I love tubes, there is always a new mystery to figure out.

Nov 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #7,080 of 11,460
Yes it O, I shall be using the same adapters when my KT66 arrive, hopefully tomorrow.

Good to know, @Scutey. Wondering if you or @hypnos1 who I think have both TS 7581A and GL KT66 can comment on their use together, I would think based on heater current the KT66 as powers driving 7581A's would be logical but the reverse would be of interest of course too.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

As for me, my adapters for the TS 7581A just arrived for the Elise and I hope to find time to get them started burning in as powers to various drivers this weekend. I can't try the TS 7581A as drivers since all of my other powers have traditional 2.5 A heater current such that the total would be 6.8, exceeding Elise's comfort zone. Hence my interest in whether KT66 powering TS 7581A drivers is a winning combo.. as that totals 4.4 A and should run cool as a cucumber! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back