Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #4,681 of 11,460
OK, after spending a good few days with the EL32's here's my take. And as a pre-disclaimer these are my personal opinions, and YMMV depending on tube condition and other elements of your chain, or preferences. The below is based on multiple critical listening sessions well after my hearing has recovered over the last 5 or so days, and with an assortment of headphones; Senn. HD-600 with silver cable (which I do find resolving and suitable for my tastes), Senn. HD-650 and Senn. HD-380 closed-backs, as well as a variety of well mastered songs that I'm intimately familiar with.

In a nutshell the EL32 are like a mini-EL12 Spez of a different flavor. Having only considered sonic similarities until the time of writing, it becomes ironic noting how similar the (ST-shaped) EL32's look to the EL12 Spez visually; yet are around 40% smaller. The EL32's to me have a dazzling sense of fidelity in a very sweet, detailed way, with bass definition / quality, detail and dynamics that are nearly impeccable. The highs are silky smooth and 'sweet', allowing for a fairly non-fatiguing listen at medium-high levels just as H1 put it. For me the DOWNSIDES lie in bass quantity (amount), 'thinness', and soundstage. My multiple comparisons against the EL12 Spez reveals a sound that to me seems more 'intimate' with a subtle improvement in texture and a slight boost in weight to the bass, as well as a substantially larger soundstage which to me was lacking on the EL32's. However the EL32's to me still have their place: a slightly more neutral, less euphonic tone can actually be a very welcome trade off for some recordings - which to me the EL32's certainly excel in neutrality with nothing overdone and not overtly euphonic. OTOH I do often prefer the EL12 Spez which to me is a master at uncanny reproduction of micro-detail, intimate voicing, texture, soundstage and a fairly pure bass reproduction.

Having also compared the EL32 to many other tube types I would say they sound most similar to VT-96 and Ken-Rad VT-231 (6SN7) in tonality, similar to EL12 Spez in frequency, but comparatively brighter than more neutral tubes such as GE 6SN7GTA, Valvo EL12, Bendix 6080, etc. (having also compared these as powers or as drivers accordingly). Speaking of PAIRINGS: There's a reason why this article only pertains the EL32 pairings with other EL tubes: In agreement with H1, these do synergize better with EL tubes. My sole exception was as previously noted: EL32 (powers) + VT-96 black metal drivers. This pairing was robust, weighty, extended great PRaT; albeit slightly V-shaped and not nearly as detailed / organic sounding as the EL32 was with other EL tubes especially all types of EL12 and the better pairing EL12 Spez. That is to say, IME the EL32's as powers don't like the 6SN7 class drivers, usually sounding 'soft' and not detailed, and make the miniature 9-pin octals sound bright; as drivers the EL32's don't seem to like any 6080 or 6AS7G class tubes; Bendix 6080 sounded 'good' but not nearly as synergestic as with other EL tubes, and somehow the synergy just wasn't there with GEC 6AS7G or RCA 6080's.

By no means am I advising against the EL32, as these do occupy a throne extremely high 'above the clouds' in the realm of super top-tier rare radio valves. To me though it takes a certain taste to like these, as they seem modestly skewed toward the thin and bright side of the spectrum; almost as if a tube with the sound signature of the Beyerdynamic T1 headphones. Interestingly these are reported to pair well together as well; and I will once again emphasize that YMMV depending on your environment and preferences. Thus being said however, I would strongly advise AGAINST getting these tubes for anybody who considers themselves a basshead - the bass quality is fantastic but not especially forward.

So my advise is for anybody with a single-tube setup to get one pair of ST-shaped EL32's and one pair of EL12 Spez (each needing special adapters). The above was based on how these two performed against each other (tested as both powers and drivers, which they both do with immaculate finesse and flexibility!!) Having also tested these together, it becomes evident that that synergy abounds - BIG TIME! With EL12 Spez as powers and EL32 as drivers I get a very balanced, snappy and resolving sound, then reversing it with EL32 as powers it seems you get a sound that interestingly has a nuance more warmth and laid back. I would also advise anybody who's impressed with the sound of the EL32's to do a comparison with EL12 Spez whereas I feel confident that not only will you hear differences, but that 'that mighty EL12 Spez' will hold its' ground till the bitter end!! :o2smile::smile_phones:

"So my advise is for anybody with a single-tube setup to get one pair of ST-shaped EL32's and one pair of EL12 Spez (each needing special adapters)."

Per the above sentence, if anybody may have been curious why my advice was only for those with a "single tube" setup, and to get the "ST-shaped version", an explanation follows:

Having today received the Mullard and Marconi versions of EL32/VT52 I had a little chance to to a comparison. However do note these are VERY EARLY initial impressions of NOS tubes. This is by no means the 'final word', just initial impressions: To me it seem the ST-shaped EL32's may have a nuance better soundstage and sense of 'realism', while these straight-form shaped tubes could be a small touch warmer. After two initial head-to-head's with the Marconi vs. Mullards, my preference so far goes to the Mullards for a modestly more robust tone with bass weight, and modestly better since of PRaT. I use the term 'PRaT' (Pace, Rhythm and Timing) more than 'dynamics' now because these do seem to both have an equal transient response / detail, but I got a better sense of rhythm and timing with the Mullards. These differences were very subtle so you still can't go wrong with either.
... what I can I say, those British and those brown-base tubes usually get a better rep LOL.

20180606_170457.jpg

For me, my best pairings involve 6 power tubes and two drivers, thanks to @JazzVinyl for his superbly fashioned custom 20ah Triad brand external transformer. Much of these last 6 weeks have been carefully comparing compatible combinations within spec, and though I do not officially recommend this type of a setup, I have personally found new sonic heights with 8 tubes just was not possible with any 4 or even 6, regardless of class/brand. (with SPECIFIC combinations, not just any 6 tubes). I am mighty impressed with the below combo of 4x EL32 + 6BL7 powers + Mullard EL32 drivers, though will still be in a slow process of comparison with other unique multi-combos I have discovered which to me may have been even better yet.
20180606_173840.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #4,682 of 11,460
With all the interest in the EL32 tubes, I am still exploring other avenues. Inspired by DL and others I have been trying out various multiple tube combinations, but all within the parameters of the Euforia maximum current draw of 7A to play it safe.
One strange thing is that the amount of hum is different using headphones and speakers. What might be tolerable with speakers may be unlistenable with headphones.
Was listening to EL11 as powers with Fotons as drivers - very nice and sweet. Then I switched to 4xTFK EL11 as powers. The bass became much more powerful (too powerful in the long run) and more detailed and it sounded good over speakers. But way toooo much hum with headphones - back to the drawing board.
Next tried 2 EL11 with a pair of Ken-Rad 6N7 as powers. The Ken-Rads have a good reputation for bass. No hum at even loud listening levels and nice sound, but missing something - the magic was not there, a trifle dull sound, but quite good.
Next 2 EL11 with a pair of 6N23P from the 6DJ8 family. Forget it - humming like crazy.
Not giving up so fast - next a pair of 6SN7GTB (RCA unsung heroes) with the ELs. Now we are talking - no hum and great bass.
This is what I am listening to now - really good. However, cannot keep the Euforia volume control at max (just as with one pair of EL11) and have to dial it back to 2 o'clock with speakers to avoid distortion; 10 o'clock is plenty with headphones. This combination seems to be just the ticket for the EL11 tubes. Sweet and punchy. Time will tell...
This six tube combination draws 4.2A.
upload_2018-6-6_22-14-1.png

PS: The RCA Unsung Heroes are mid 1950-60's 6SN7GTB tubes that have a small horizontal heater wire (glows in the dark) above the top mica. These tubes are not expensive and great sounding, but I haven't found others yet to corroborate this....
Here is a picture showing the heater wire on top in the middle (only some of the RCA 6SN7GTB tubes have this feature):
s-l1600.jpg

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #4,684 of 11,460
VERY nice taste in music, Mordy. I've actually been listening a lot to 'world music' (an American-coined term for anything considered exotic by our standards LOL) a lot recently, such as Dead Can Dance and other Brazilian samba jazz / African tribal treats, as well as similar live music festivals. I've also found a similar combo to sound good on an externally powered setup: EL12 Spez + quad 6SN7 powers + 6N23p or EL12 drivers, which I'm still comparing to my top favorites including multiple EL32's.

PS- My 6 EL32's were NOS and are still burning in, which is made faster by my current setup.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #4,685 of 11,460
Interesting results @DecentLevi ...reinforces the different results that are obtained in different systems! :wink:

I personally went straight from EL12 Spez (fabulous tube!) powers to (smoked glass) ST CV1052, both driven by same... and immediately had larger soundstage; greater detail; more presence - and there was no reduction at all in bass performance...if anything, there was even more weight!

And so this will definitely be a case of one cannot know for sure just how these tubes will sound in any one system...until you try it lol!! :ksc75smile:...

ps. I have a gut feeling that the (old) smoked glass military ST CV1052 of mine might just have the edge over others of this type...so am awaiting a pair of NOS straight-sided Mullard CV1052 to see for myself...in my system!...:beyersmile:

ps. I must stress once more that Feliks Audio definitely would never endorse self-assembled multiple tube setups...regardless of external power supply!! Any associated problems would NOT be covered by the warranty.

pps. Lukasz has assured me, however, that given the length of time I personally have been using EL tubes in Elise and Euforia, they should now have proven to be 'safe', even if not officially sanctioned...CJ

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #4,686 of 11,460
Interesting results @DecentLevi ...reinforces the different results that are obtained in different systems! :wink:

I personally went straight from EL12 Spez (fabulous tube!) powers to (smoked glass) ST CV1052, both driven by same... and immediately had larger soundstage; greater detail; more presence - and there was no reduction at all in bass performance...if anything, there was even more weight!

And so this will definitely be a case of one cannot know for sure just how these tubes will sound in any one system...until you try it lol!! :ksc75smile:...

ps. I have a gut feeling that the (old) smoked glass military ST CV1052 of mine might just have the edge over others of this type...so am awaiting a pair of NOS straight-sided Mullard CV1052 to see for myself...in my system!...:beyersmile:

ps. I must stress once more that Feliks Audio definitely would never endorse self-assembled multiple tube setups...regardless of external power supply!! Any associated problems would NOT be covered by the warranty.

pps. Lukasz has assured me, however, that given the length of time I personally have been using EL tubes in Elise and Euforia, they should now have proven to be 'safe', even if not officially sanctioned...CJ
Hi h1,
What is the official position on multiple tubes without external power and within current draw specifications?

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #4,687 of 11,460
Hey Marty, it looks like in the second paragraph from last from H's previous post that Feliks audio would not endorse any multiple tube adapters they are Transformer powered or not. That is how I am reading it at any rate. I have never seen anything on their website or information that recommends or sanctions any multiple tube adapter combinations for this amplifier. I had them when I had the Elise but after hearing some stories of problems with the adapters causing Elise problems I no longer do multiple adapters. Have not seen the need personally. I think when information is put on websites about the type of tube adapters and whatnot that is done that is all that Feliks audio would need to deny service should a problem arise with the amplifier. They have been very lenient in the past, I don't see that continuing. Of course that is my opinion

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #4,688 of 11,460
Hi h1,
What is the official position on multiple tubes without external power and within current draw specifications?

Hi mordy.

@connieflyer has pretty well stated F-A's position, but may I just also give my own take on this.

After a good many previoius discussions with Lukasz on this area, the past (official) position has always been that nothing is endorsed that is not recommended, or provided by, themselves - and therefore will not be covered by the warranty (which is true of most businesses, making amps or otherwise!). This obviously covers non-sanctioned tubes; power supplies other than those provided by the amp itself; other types of 'modification'; 3rd party adapters etc...particularly, as cf says, multiple ones that can be more problematic than singles!
Any, and all of these, we experiment with at our own risk. And I don't foresee any change whatsoever in this position by F-A...but I shall confirm with Lukasz himself.

As mentioned before, the only concession he has in fact made has been to say that as I have had no issues whatsoever with the EL tubes for over 18 months now, that at least these should be safe to use (but, sadly, still cannot have official approval). He has, however, been adamant that anything else cannot be sanctioned - officially, or unofficially...ie. experimenter beware!!

Hopefully this answers your question, m...

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,689 of 11,460
After gong back and trying the vt96 with the el32, it did sound quite nice. So tonight I decided I would try another favorite of mine, the Visseaux 6N7G. I have always enjoyed these tubes and the are called Joy Bringers for a reason. Now with the El32 as powers this combo exceeds the Vt96 by quite a bit. Full mid's clear highs, piano is sharp and clear, the attack on the keys is momumental and bass in spades. And they glow! A very full sound. I got these tubes from UT a couple of years ago.
sn7.jpg

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #4,690 of 11,460
If you have not seen this before, it is quite interesting on how tubes are made

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #4,691 of 11,460
After gong back and trying the vt96 with the el32, it did sound quite nice. So tonight I decided I would try another favorite of mine, the Visseaux 6N7G. I have always enjoyed these tubes and the are called Joy Bringers for a reason. Now with the El32 as powers this combo exceeds the Vt96 by quite a bit. Full mid's clear highs, piano is sharp and clear, the attack on the keys is momumental and bass in spades. And they glow! A very full sound. I got these tubes from UT a couple of years ago.

Lovely glow, and lovely photo cf...

And good to hear that there's probably a combo to suit all tastes lol! :smile_phones:

ps. Have just received my pair of straight-sided Mullard CV1052 from ebay member 'yitry' (ie. the great 'Langrex, UK'), and as has been already said, they look much better in the flesh! Can't wait to give them a try...when I can find the time, that is!

pps. I noticed that they themselves have already sold 208 of these, and another member 12 lots of 50...so that makes 808 in total, just from these two! (Langrex surely not buying on ebay!). So someone, somewhere obviously loves these tubes lol! :wink:

ppps. Have managed to bag what could very well be nearly the last 10 smoked glass, NOS (NIB) ST CV1052 on the planet, so if anyone's interested just PM me...CJ

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #4,692 of 11,460
I had heard the same thing from a couple of suppliers. They said that this tube has moved faster than most, in the last year. Good tube, good amp, great sound. Visseaux 6N7 and VT 32's this morning. So far using the same testing queue as all the other 32's and so far (as memory serves) the sound is very much the same. The bass is slightly deeper on this pair, as I recall from last night, but the difference is very slight. If you can not find the st version the other versions will serve you well.

20180608_075913.jpg

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #4,693 of 11,460
I had heard the same thing from a couple of suppliers. They said that this tube has moved faster than most, in the last year. Good tube, good amp, great sound. Visseaux 6N7 and VT 32's this morning. So far using the same testing queue as all the other 32's and so far (as memory serves) the sound is very much the same. The bass is slightly deeper on this pair, as I recall from last night, but the difference is very slight. If you can not find the st version the other versions will serve you well.

Yep cf...would love to know where they've been going, and the amp in question lol! :wink:

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #4,694 of 11,460
The one seller was very aware of the Felix amp and wanted to know when we started using the vt32 tubes in that amp. Told him it was not a stock tube but the amp was so versatile that many tubes will work in it and do a quite admirable job, he was quite surprised. He said he had to keep renewing the stock on eBay cuz they kept going so fast. So somebody out there is using these. Whether it's somebody that sees them moving and decides to buy up quantity to resell at a higher price I don't know I have seen that happen before though. These tubes certainly do sound great in Felix amp.

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #4,695 of 11,460
The one seller was very aware of the Felix amp and wanted to know when we started using the vt32 tubes in that amp. Told him it was not a stock tube but the amp was so versatile that many tubes will work in it and do a quite admirable job, he was quite surprised. He said he had to keep renewing the stock on eBay cuz they kept going so fast. So somebody out there is using these. Whether it's somebody that sees them moving and decides to buy up quantity to resell at a higher price I don't know I have seen that happen before though. These tubes certainly do sound great in Felix amp.

That could certainly be partly the case, cf...but with such numbers as mentioned, there must be another amp(s) in the equation IMHO - I doubt anyone in their right mind would gamble too much with the relatively low numbers of F-A's amps around, and at such an early stage?!! :wink:...the plot thickens!..:ksc75smile:...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back