Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
May 23, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #4,576 of 11,460
Tubes have aboit 8 hours on them now. Have been listening for the last hour or so, and I agree with H these tubes are dead silent. The music rises out of a total blackness. No static, no hum nothing. Without any input, turned the volume all the way up, and nothing, no sound at all. When I first started listening, one tube hummed, and they were both microphonic. Now no hum no microphonics at all. Will try these in the morning to see if they are still quiet. The other thing is that the chasis and transformer were not even warm. After 8 hours they were still cool to the touch. Sound is opening up to the point that I believe they are the equal, if not better than the El 11 right now. I can see why H is so positive about this tube. Tomorrow I will put in the straight glassvtubes and let them cook for 8 hours and see what they are like. Trying to be patient waiting for the Marconi tubes and Mrs X adapters.
20180523_203503.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #4,577 of 11,460
Tubes have a nice glow also

May 24, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #4,578 of 11,460
Tubes have aboit 8 hours on them now. Have been listening for the last hour or so, and I agree with H these tubes are dead silent. The music rises out of a total blackness. No static, no hum nothing. Without any input, turned the volume all the way up, and nothing, no sound at all. When I first started listening, one tube hummed, and they were both microphonic. Now no hum no microphonics at all. Will try these in the morning to see if they are still quiet. The other thing is that the chasis and transformer were not even warm. After 8 hours they were still cool to the touch. Sound is opening up to the point that I believe they are the equal, if not better than the El 11 right now. I can see why H is so positive about this tube. Tomorrow I will put in the straight glassvtubes and let them cook for 8 hours and see what they are like. Trying to be patient waiting for the Marconi tubes and Mrs X adapters.

Wakey wakey cf.
That's a marvellous start...bodes well IMHO (particularly as your EL11s don't have adapters!). I personally didn't really begin to appreciate their qualities until after about four 8 to 10hr burn-in sessions. And I myself do notice the difference burn-in makes to nearly all equipment that has to carry electrical sound signals!! :L3000: With straight-sided tubes to assess as well, you certainly have your hands full...on second thoughts, given how cheap they are, I suppose I could have given them a try also. But as you went for these first, I thought I'd let you do the honours lol! :wink:

ps. Lovely playback equipment you now have...I expect you've pretty well got all you need...(except F-A's new flagship amp!...which Lukasz hopefully will have preview photos of in the next couple of months...:yum:).

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #4,579 of 11,460
Morning all, yes the tubes are coming along quite well. I did try the amp with the ST tubes first thing this morning, to see if the hum or microphonices were back and they were not. Quiet as could be. I replaced the st tubes with the straight wall tubes a couple of hours ago. WIth about two hours burn in on them, they are coming around. The harshness is subsiding and they are opening up nicely. I too have seen that burn in is a real phenomenom , I worked with tubes back in the old days as an electronic flight tech. When replacing tubes on the radar system, whether it was he main unit or the consoles, ranges, which is what they judged my work on, was always impacted. They would typically drop 3-4 percent depending on which subsytem they were installed in. As they burned in the ranges would increase as the units settled in. So I am a believer in burn in. These tubes are no different. Awaking from a long long sleep they are starting to really shine. H is correct on the EL 11's these were some that he had changed the base on so no adapters were needed. I checked with my supplier that I got my st's from and he is all out. So finding new ones maybe a challenge, but worth the effort. So far all I have has been the NOS not used, so cannot say what they will be like, but should be okay depending on the tube. And yes, the new playback equipment is just what I was looking for. Feeding music from my NAS is much better than from the computer. The Cambridge has dual Wolfson Dacs and this is the first equipment I have had that use them. My impression is very possitive, much better resolution than any others I have had. Will be putting my Sony Hap S1 , Schiit Gungnir multi-bit up for sale now.

May 24, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #4,580 of 11,460
Very interesting development in the tube saga. I mentioned that one of the st tubes was humming, so in the interim I sent the seller on Ebay a message stating that and wondered if he had anymore of these tubes. He replied within about four hours .... Really sorry for this inconvenience. Tubes are tested on a calibrated tubetester but not on an amplifier. I checked my store and couldn't find another one for the moment.
I suggest to give you a refund of 20 $. All I want is satisfied customers.
If you agree, please keep me informed.

Greetings,
Henri
The user name is filamentum and he has a store as well. I looks like he would be a very good source to buy from with this kind of an attitude. Of course I declined the offer as by then the tube had come around. But it was very nice to see a seller respond that quickly and positively, just thought I would share.

May 24, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #4,581 of 11,460
Very interesting development in the tube saga. I mentioned that one of the st tubes was humming, so in the interim I sent the seller on Ebay a message stating that and wondered if he had anymore of these tubes. He replied within about four hours .... Really sorry for this inconvenience. Tubes are tested on a calibrated tubetester but not on an amplifier. I checked my store and couldn't find another one for the moment.

Greetings,
Henri
The user name is filamentum and he has a store as well. I looks like he would be a very good source to buy from with this kind of an attitude. Of course I declined the offer as by then the tube had come around. But it was very nice to see a seller respond that quickly and positively, just thought I would share.
Hi CF,
Nice to hear about honest and cooperative sellers!

May 24, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #4,582 of 11,460
Well, have 8 hours on the straight tubes now and they have opened up quite nicely. Bass is tight and hits hard, mids are solid and engaging, treble is no longer harsh but present and pleasant. I will have to try latter rolling the st tubes back in, but from memory (which is not always accurate) it seems that these don't hit quite as hard. Not by much, but I will have to check back with my music list that makes things a little easier to tell. I will put the st tubes back in later and see if it is obviously better or not. Must get back outside for now.

May 24, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,583 of 11,460
Well, have 8 hours on the straight tubes now and they have opened up quite nicely. Bass is tight and hits hard, mids are solid and engaging, treble is no longer harsh but present and pleasant. I will have to try latter rolling the st tubes back in, but from memory (which is not always accurate) it seems that these don't hit quite as hard. Not by much, but I will have to check back with my music list that makes things a little easier to tell. I will put the st tubes back in later and see if it is obviously better or not. Must get back outside for now.

This sounds quite promising cf...it will be interesting to hear your impressions of the two types as they develop with further burn-in...:ksc75smile:...as will how the Marconi tubes compare. (I pity your poor ears lol!).

Anyway, just thought I'd update on my ST CV1052s driving same as powers. With a further 20 hrs or so - I leave them to run overnight so as to speed things up (I have plenty of smoke alarms just in case!!) - I can confirm that the 2 together perform extremely well. At the moment I'd say there isn't a lot between these tubes as powers, compared to the wonderful EL12 Spezial...these tubes just continue to amaze me. And taking only 0.8 amps heater current in total, the trafo and case stay even cooler!

And as I mentioned previously, I believe their lower output does in fact help Euforia in more ways than one...including a touch more focus, and slightly less 'echo' effect, presumably this lower output not having quite the same effect from the amp's cross-feed function? But soundstage - with a decent amount of time on them - isn't affected negatively in any way at all IMO...I am indeed smitten!! :L3000:...

May 24, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #4,584 of 11,460
Have you noticed a reduction in volume using the four ST CV1052's compared to using the El12 Spez? Might roll in some 5998's later to see what changes. You are right , my ears are going to get a rash from the constant phone changes. Do you leave your phones connected will they burn in or just leave the amp on with a source playing? With the new player I que up about 8 hours of music and leave my HE400i connected. I will pick them up now and then to see what is happening. Just put the ST 's back in and then I will go back to the others and see if I can detect a difference. Want to get that out of the way before the Marconi's arrive and I have to compare them, as well as Mrs X's adapters! Yikes!

May 24, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #4,585 of 11,460
May 24, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #4,586 of 11,460

Greetings,
Henri
I was lucky enough to buy my two ST EL32's from him too and he also offered great helpful service, and refunded the difference for combined shipping. I do think he's out though, as you said

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,587 of 11,460
Have you noticed a reduction in volume using the four ST CV1052's compared to using the El12 Spez? Might roll in some 5998's later to see what changes. You are right , my ears are going to get a rash from the constant phone changes. Do you leave your phones connected will they burn in or just leave the amp on with a source playing? With the new player I que up about 8 hours of music and leave my HE400i connected. I will pick them up now and then to see what is happening. Just put the ST 's back in and then I will go back to the others and see if I can detect a difference. Want to get that out of the way before the Marconi's arrive and I have to compare them, as well as Mrs X's adapters! Yikes!

Hi cf. Hope you're now awake and breakfasted...plenty yet to do!...And glad your poor ears are still managing the punishment...but all in a good cause lol! :)

I found the CV1052s as drivers resulted in slightly more volume needed on the knob, with or without EL12 Spezs as powers...but not so much as to cause any worry whatsoever. And I love being able to listen with these tubes at slightly higher vol levels than any other combo before...helps bring out even more of the gorgeous sound!

I do believe burn-in is better with the cans still attached...in fact I think it's advised not to have the vol turned up without headphones plugged in anyway! And in my own case, my hps are permanently attached direct to the amp's internal wiring anyway...two lots of connectors dispensed with, and with noticeable positive results. But not, obviously, an option for most folks!! :wink:

ps. The results of using ST-type CV1052s as powers have me thinking the unthinkable...I might just this once try FOUR of them in this role...but specially adapted, of course - this is no place for (straight) Chinese multiple PCB adapters lol :ksc75smile:

May 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #4,588 of 11,460
Hi cf. Hope you're now awake and breakfasted...plenty yet to do!...And glad your poor ears are still managing the punishment...but all in a good cause lol! :)

I found the CV1052s as drivers resulted in slightly more volume needed on the knob, with or without EL12 Spezs as powers...but not so much as to cause any worry whatsoever. And I love being able to listen with these tubes at slightly higher vol levels than any other combo before...helps bring out even more of the gorgeous sound!

I do believe burn-in is better with the cans still attached...in fact I think it's advised not to have the vol turned up without headphones plugged in anyway! And in my own case, my hps are permanently attached direct to the amp's internal wiring anyway...two lots of connectors dispensed with, and with noticeable positive results. But not, obviously, an option for most folks!! :wink:

ps. The results of using ST-type CV1052s as powers have me thinking the unthinkable...I might just this once try FOUR of them in this role...but specially adapted, of course - this is no place for (straight) Chinese multiple PCB adapters lol :ksc75smile:
Hi h1,
Unthinkable? You have to think out of the box and take a clue from the Glenn OTL and use SIX power tubes! Only 1.2A + 0.4A = 1.6A total - a piece of cake for the Euforia......
I'll bet that this will drive them planar phones!

May 25, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #4,589 of 11,460
Hi h1,
Unthinkable? You have to think out of the box and take a clue from the Glenn OTL and use SIX power tubes! Only 1.2A + 0.4A = 1.6A total - a piece of cake for the Euforia......
I'll bet that this will drive them planar phones!

Hi mordy.

Hmmm...methinks FOUR powers will be more than enough lol! Especially for my hi-impedance T1s - even though they have lower output (which I think actually suits our amps better) than the EL12 Spezs, there's already nothing missing on the dynamics/slam front with 'just' two, but multiple powers may well help planar headphones. Will let you know the results as soon as I adapt some more tubes!

May 25, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #4,590 of 11,460
Hi mordy.

Hmmm...methinks FOUR powers will be more than enough lol! Especially for my hi-impedance T1s - even though they have lower output (which I think actually suits our amps better) than the EL12 Spezs, there's already nothing missing on the dynamics/slam front with 'just' two, but multiple powers may well help planar headphones. Will let you know the results as soon as I adapt some more tubes!
six-pack-cardboard-beer-kraft-carrier.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back