Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 14, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #4,156 of 11,413
JV those are Visseaux 6N7G's not 6SN7G's, close but no cigar! Took me awhile before I would write the correct number, did the same thing for awhile. Feeling somewhat better, but still listening by audio system. Sound is excellent

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #4,157 of 11,413
CF, you wrote it right, I wrote it wrong...I also meant to write 6N7G's...they are what I have and called "JoyBringers" when I first heard them :)

Hear ya on preamp function and sounding good!!

Cheers...

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #4,158 of 11,413
Took me awhile to remember to drop the "S", used the 6sn7's for so long on different equipment. Teaching old dog, new tricks not so easy!

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #4,159 of 11,413
With the Gec 6AS7g's I prefer the 6N7G's over all the other 6SN7G's, both ordinary and premium versions, including K_R, RCA, and Sylvania's. I will have to try my GEC 6080's too, with the winter being this cold, they will help heat the house!

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #4,160 of 11,413
GEC 6AS7G or the 6080's, I have never heard. Everyone who has says they are the BEST!!
I see a brand new pair of GEC 6AS7G on that famous auction site for $500.00 shipped, from the UK.

The most expensive tubes I have are the 5998s which I paid $100.00ea for a few years ago. They
are great and were worth the expense.

The GN7G's as your drivers liven things up quite a bit.

Curious, if you were to run 6SN7's as drivers...what power tube would to choose?

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #4,161 of 11,413
I have run the 6sn7's with RCA 6AS7G, T-S 5998, Gold Aero 5998A, GEC 6AS7G's, and various 6080's. Of I prefer the T-S 5998 when using T-S 6SN7's, GEC 6AS7G's with the Sylvania 6SN7's, T-S 5998 with the RCA 1947 6SN7's. They all sound quite nice, but I find the RCA 6AS7's to be a bit too warm. The T-S 5998 and Gold Aero 5998A I like the best with the 6SN7's generally.
Forgot to mention that the best 6080's I have heard with the 6SN7's were the Raytheon carbon plate 6080's. They seem to run hot, but have a great sound. With this weather, should have kept them!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #4,163 of 11,413
Have the GEC 6080's in this morning and they sound about the same as the 6AS7G's, but these are almost new, only a few hours on them, so not burned in yet. Trying with the Senn 800 for the last half hour and they sound delicious! Looked up the Visseaux 6N7G's on ebay and they were around $300 a pair now! That was a surprise, but I suppose as the supply drys up the price will increase. The GEC 6080's were going for about $171 apiece and the 6AS7's about$240 apiece so at this rate if I sell off all my tubes I can buy a new car! Snow all day, light, but temps in the 20's at least.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #4,165 of 11,413
Sorry myphone, I sold those last fall to a member here. You can Google it and see pictures of them, very distinctive

Jan 15, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4,166 of 11,413
All ribbing and teasing aside, H1, can't imagine what you have been through. Must have been really bad and no fun. Very glad
that you got through it, okay.

My Elise...

Yes, listening to some acoustic "chamber" jazz with a lute, bass clarinet, acoustic bass, and some occasional soprano clarinet and oboe,

The illusion of being in the room with these fellows, is remarkable.

5998's and 'circa 1943' 6SN7W

All that crazy tube rolling we did, probably should have just stayed closer to "home".

Cheers...

Ah but, JV, such rolling is the only way to get a good handle on just how different tubes perform...along with how they interact with different gear, and is a wonderful way to learn the more subtle aspects of sound assessment lol! :darthsmile: I myself - along with many others - also found it extremely interesting, if occasionally somewhat controversial and contradictory...all part of this crazy hobby of ours methinks!! :wink:

In the process, a good few of us discovered tubes that - depending upon one's system and ears - gave us things that weren't delivered by the stock configuration tubes, and therefore made the sometimes 'mad' rolling a bit easier to justify...including the sometimes rather expensive ventures!! I know I'm not alone in being grateful for finding (different) tubes that finally bring out closer to the full potential of both my Euforia and upgraded peripherals, bearing in mind that everyone's system (and environment/ears) must, by definition, be unique.

But I'm only too glad to see folks who are more than happy with conventional tubes, of which there is indeed a wonderfully large choice...and which is precisely why I suggested this to Feliks-Audio in the first place (Elise)! :ksc75smile: At least now, newcomers can profit from the experience of those of us who have, on occasions, been teetering on the brink of the abyss...even if in not such an 'exciting'(??!!) manner lol :L3000:...(but wouldn't have missed it for anything!!:smile_phones:)...CHEERS!...

Well, Hypnos1, the way I see it, usually you get CP as a child, so they say once you have them, you have the virus in your blood, and it may attack you later in life as Shingles, so figuring about 40 to 50 years spread between the diseases, you will be about 230 years old when you get shingles! Glad you are on the mend.

Thanks for those few kind words cf...I've no desire whatsoever to drag on until 100, let alone 230 lol!!! :anguished: :wink: But you've comforted me in the probability(?!) that at least I should now be spared the awful plight of Shingles later on...(but with my kind of luck, this darned virus of mine probably hasn't read the medical books!!! :triportsad:).

ps. You've certainly tried a good few of the top flight 'conventional' tubes, which do indeed sing very nicely in Euforia, as well as Elise. And do come in handy when needing different requirements for pre-amp duties as opposed to headphones, for example...ENJOY!!!...:beerchug:

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #4,167 of 11,413
My favorites in Elise are 6x 6BL7 as powers and FDD20 as drivers. Keeps her ice cold as well, since all globes must be externally heated.

But 5998/6SN7W is not far behind, and I could certainly live with those, forever, without complaint .

:)

Jan 17, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #4,168 of 11,413
Incidentally found out DAC/Euforia combo has much bigger impact on sound quality than tube rolling.

A few days ago, swapped in Meridian Director DAC so I could use Ayre Codex (DAC only) to test other gears, I was pleasantly surprised that Euforia sounds much richer and organic with lowly Director.

Jan 19, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #4,169 of 11,413
Incidentally found out DAC/Euforia combo has much bigger impact on sound quality than tube rolling.

A few days ago, swapped in Meridian Director DAC so I could use Ayre Codex (DAC only) to test other gears, I was pleasantly surprised that Euforia sounds much richer and organic with lowly Director.

Hi myphone.

I think I agree with you re. the DAC effect...even though different tubes (especially "unconventional" ones!) can indeed also bring more to the table lol :wink::L3000:

My well-regarded Audiolab 8200CD's ESS Sabre-based DAC was outperformed by my also Sabre-clad custom tube DAC (with some very nice TFK E88CCs), and then massively so by my Chord Hugo2...helped along in no small way by the UP-OCC silver interconnects and (DIY) replacement T1 (gen1) HP cable.

As I have mentioned before (often!!), Euforia ups her game considerably in line with other elements in the system...but usually as they go up the scale!! It's therefore very interesting that your 'lowly' Meridian DAC delivers more - for you - even though coming down the scale lol :wink: Presumably also as a result of matching with the rest of the system?...(not that I'm saying the rest is 'lowly'!!).

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,170 of 11,413
Looking to acquire another headphone to add to others. I have been reading up on the Audioquest Night Owl's. Impedance is stated to be 25 ohms and Euforia is stated at 32 ohm. Was wondering if anyone has tried these with Euforia. Will post this on Elise thread as well, should have similar response. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Kevi
Back