Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
Tags:
First

Back
267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276
278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287
Next

Last
  1. mordy
    Hi h1,

Wishing you full recovery and good health!
    Thanks for the answer.

2. hypnos1
    Thanks for the good wishes, m...thankfully, I'm well on the road to recovery now - helped no doubt by increasing doses of Euforia magic!...not to mention massive doses of an anti-viral, that should hopefully prevent any nasty complications setting in lol!

And hope my answer makes sense to you - can't see how it could be any different myself!!...(but I'm by no means infallible! :ksc75smile:).

3. canthearyou
    Daaang! I bet it sounds as good as it looks!

4. connieflyer
    I don't see the benefit to using a dual triode, and only using one half on multiple tubes. Any suggestions?

5. hypnos1
    Hi cf.

There must be some really good(?!!) explanation for not letting both triodes take the strain, but I myself can only think that perhaps it's to do with the possible benefits of not having 2 triodes working in such close proximity within the same (probably small) glass enclosure? Which might explain why some aficionados using hyper-expensive tubes in summit-fi amps prefer a single-triode NOS one over a more modern dual triode version, and are prepared to pay good money for such lol!!

I personally have always believed the single-plate (anode) and cathode, with screens and shield of the pentode, to by design be likely to prove less prone to any kind of 'conflict'/interference, compared to the dual triode's two cathodes and anodes in close proximity. And hence my love for originally the C3g, and then the EL family of pentodes...and which I personally still believe outperform any 6SN7 or similar - given the right accompanying gear, that is...which includes the all-important cables IMHO! But as usual, it also comes down to personal sound preference, of course...:wink::ksc75smile:...CHEERS!...and a HNY!...:gs1000smile:

6. connieflyer
    H1, I think you have hit on it, the dual triode was developed to save space and expense when designing a mulitple stage amp. The dual tube was cheaper to use, and I believe that the only logical reason to design an amp with a dual triode and then only use half, was a cost cutting venture. Perhaps the the triode the designer wanted to use was getting scarce and expensive, and using only half the tube was cheaper alternative to more expensive and increasingly rare, singles. JMHO though

7. hypnos1
    Yo, cf...one possible, and interesting, reason lol.

Whatever, when it comes to purity of sound reproduction, there's often a good case for "less is more"...which could well be the case here!! :wink::smile:...(I certainly like to think so with my (triode-strapped) pentodes anyway lol! :ksc75smile:

8. Johnnysound
    D8FA6A1B-FB06-4EC7-AFF4-B50D323D289A.jpeg All tubes in the family... Euforia driving Jolida Fusion 3502 in power amp mode. Sounds really great...
    Euforia with RCA 6CG7s (57’ vintage) and Mullard 6080s. A very dynamic, fast & neutral combo that works nicely in preamp duties. The preamp section of the Jolida is quite good on itself, but with the Euforia...is another level of refinement.

Happy new year to all !!

connieflyer likes this.
  9. hypnos1
    And a HNY to you too, J!...that looks a really nice setup, and I bet it sounds just as good lol! :L3000:

Nice too, that Euforia brings some extra magic to the table...not to mention more glass beauties to ogle!!! :wink:...(what next - a tube DAC?!!...but I must admit my Hugo2 takes some beating, methinks! :ksc75smile:)...CHEERS!...

10. JazzVinyl
    Glad your on the mend, H1...

Chicken Pox! I am surprised you didn't have them as a child. Recently there has been a lot of cases of the Shingles in older folks in the US, and they say it is caused by the Chicken Pox virus many years after you had them!!

So hopefully you have at least avoided the Shingles.

Hope you are well on your way to feeling 100% again.

Cheers and HNY

11. hypnos1
    Thanks @JazzVinyl...I can now understand why they say it's best to get CP out of the way when young - it sure ain't nice when caught in one's later years lol! But then, it can resurface later as shingles, which can also be very nasty indeed...Catch22!!! :triportsad: Luckily, no nasty complications, and getting closer to 100% (which I never achieve anyway, at my tender years!!! :wink:).

ps. Glad to see you're enjoying your Elise once more...:gs1000smile:

12. JazzVinyl
    All ribbing and teasing aside, H1, can't imagine what you have been through. Must have been really bad and no fun. Very glad
    that you got through it, okay.

My Elise...

Yes, listening to some acoustic "chamber" jazz with a lute, bass clarinet, acoustic bass, and some occasional soprano clarinet and oboe,

The illusion of being in the room with these fellows, is remarkable.

5998's and 'circa 1943' 6SN7W

All that crazy tube rolling we did, probably should have just stayed closer to "home".

Cheers...

13. connieflyer
    Well, Hypnos1, the way I see it, usually you get CP as a child, so they say once you have them, you have the virus in your blood, and it may attack you later in life as Shingles, so figuring about 40 to 50 years spread between the diseases, you will be about 230 years old when you get shingles! Glad you are on the mend.

14. connieflyer
    Have had a head cold, congestion, for about the last month or so, and using headphones is uncomfortable. Have been using the Euforia as pre amp through regular solid state amp. Found by using the Gec 6as7g and Visseaux 6n7g's it warms up the solid state sound very nicely. Will have to do until congestion eases or Spring comes! Winter this year in Michigan is the pits.

15. JazzVinyl
    Oh boy, you said "Visseaux 6sn7"!!!

Joybringers!

Still have mine, might have to give them some time.

Stay warm CF and feel better soon.

First

Back
267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276
278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287
Next

Last