1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last
  1. pctazhp

2. UntilThen
    Not forgetting you can run your hands over it and feel how smooth it is.

3. pctazhp
    Well young man. I'm afraid I'm too old for that kind of stuff.

I've given up trying to describe the magic of my Obscure HoloAudio DDC/Poor-Man's Schiit Multibit DAC/Euforia/Nouveau-Riche HD800S based system. Suffice it to say, listening to Alison Krauss sing "I Never Cared For You" and "Gentle on My Mind" is the experience of a lifetime.

4. connieflyer
    Wait till you hear from the tracking room the clarity is uncanny!
    Gungnir shipped today, chose 2 day shipping thought they would have shipped yesterday so I could get it by Friday, probably Monday now. Listening with PSAudio Nuwave coax input sound is excellent, Schitt is going to have an uphill battle. Coax is, to me at least, much better than usb. Have always chose coax when possible, seems more to the music. Listening to Carolyn Southby, piano, is very good. Hoping to snag tickets to see Diana Krall in a couple of weeks. Scarce. Listening with El11's one has mesh plate and Tung Sol 5998's great combo.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  5. pctazhp
    Earth to CF. Monday is a holiday.

6. connieflyer
    They are all the same to me. Oh well wasted extra shipping money. Switched over to Diana Krall, an amazing voice, well have to put up the headphones for a bit, Connor just brought me his ball, play time for awhile.

7. connieflyer
    One last song, check out this voice from the past PCT..

8. UntilThen
    In a previous life, Gumby was Beethoven . Piano is his forte. Prepare to be blown away.

9. connieflyer
    I sincerely hope you are correct. Because from what I'm hearing from PS audio and the latest selection of tubes this would be a huge game changer the PS audio is sounding very very good.

10. UntilThen
    HD800 is sounding great with Yggy and Euforia. It's a week of burn in now and and this combo is starting to hit all the right notes. I had to swap in some warmer tubes to balance it out. Currently running RCA 6sn7gt vt231 smoke glass and Bendix 6080wb. Didn't know that the RCAs would come in useful. HD800 just sound lovely with a tube amp like Euforia. It's blossom out and full of texture while at the same time having absolute clarity.

However I'm still lusting for Ragnorak. What I heard at the shop of the combo consisting of Yggy + Ragnorak + HD800 is a high end experience. Fast transient, power and delivery, articulate and details without the glare and fatigue. Reading Jude's 2014 review of the Ragnorak, confirm I'm not alone with this impression.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil.667711/page-113#post-10525684

11. pctazhp
    Hey @UntilThen Back when I was just trying to gain a little respect for Schiit multibit DACs on these FA threads, I never intended you to go hook, line and sinker!!! At this rate, Jason is going to have to devote an entire chapter of his book just to you :ksc75smile:

12. hypnos1
    Hi UT...looks like I have a lot of catching up to do lol! And given my last exasperating experience with trying multi-quote replies, shall have to keep them singles...so here goes : no sweat re. the "opposition" - as @Oskari says...good balance...UK vs US LOL!!! (Yet still the best of friends...DT permitting, that is!!! :) ).

Trouble is there's been dreadful delay with release of the Hugo 2, and mine being the second batch, won't now be here for yet another month alas (unless a load of frustrated, impatient people pull out...fingers crossed - for ME!!!).

HOWEVER, my good friend, I am already in hot competition with your newfound glorious sound...and that's before my new DAC even arrives!! And this is all (with a little help from Euforia, of course!!!) down to what my new Airlink Transformers Balanced Mains with Advanced Filter System is doing to the cr*p that resides not only in the 'copper wires' mentioned to you, but from the myriad items of electrical equipment connected to your mains supply...AND of all those around you who share that common supply!!!

And this was confirmed to me BIG time the other day, when I removed my ASF3000 unit and plugged everything into a standard, non-conditioned multi-socket extension lead....Result?...within less than twenty seconds I simply had to remove my headphones and slink off to bed in disgust. And that was with the wonderful Naim server still in place lol!! Compared to the magic I've come to love from Euforia and her latest companions, I could not believe Euforia was still in the equation, it was that bad to my ears...

Gone was the exceptional clarity/separation/pinpoint imaging & placement/impeccable timing & speed/treble finesse/delicious decay & reverb/immaculate control of dynamics, from soft through crescendo to LOUD/3D holographic soundstage/etc. etc....in other words...everything that was transporting me to the Heavens and back! It was as if Euforia had gone on hunger strike, as a token gesture against the insult I had bestowed upon her.

Now obviously, this is all relative - because the setup was otherwise first-rate. And as I've always used some form of mains conditioning & filtering, with gradual upgrades over time, I simply hadn't fully realised just how much it was contributing to the end result...but now I do!...courtesy of from ridiculous to sublime lol!...ie. :

From this...
    P1000897.JPG

To THIS :

Snap 2017-04-05 at 19.13.35.png

I realise this is in fact the TOTL model - the ASF3000, with Avery Magnetics Advanced Filter System, at over double the price of the one with 'plain' conditioning, but the member who introduced me to these products at our local meet recently was also very impressed indeed with this cheaper model, and rated it a good bit above even the PowerInspired Mains Regenerator, that I also found surpassed (by a BIG margin) by my own unit.

And so once again, I can't recommend too highly that folks look more closely at this part of the system...ie its life BLOOD (as per that Japanese hi-fi OCD guy!) - and which for most folks is infected far more than would ever be suspected. Fancy, expensive cables (and subsequent signal transfer) can indeed only do so much when fed with inferior electrons...they need to be cleansed/disinfected FIRST lol!!

This experience has been the biggest highlight comparison of all my time with tube amps these past few years...bar none!!...(and which actually, now has me extremely dubious of just how much more any other DAC can bring to my particular equation...the leap with this ASF3000 back in place is that huge LOL! But in the interests of 'Balanced' (sorry!!) opposition, I have not in fact cancelled my order for the H2!!! CHEERS!

13. pctazhp
    @hypnos1 The Airlink 120V-in/120V-out Airlink standard balanced conditioner USCB1510 is 260 British Pounds ($333) Might be worth a try here in the colonies. Fortunately the TOTL Airlink isn't available in 120 Volt input.

14. hypnos1
    But O, my good friend, I was counting on you being my corner coach, dispensing words of wisdom (not to mention water/dubious substances!) as UT's blows rained down upon me lol!:worried::smiley:...,
    However, I'm quite sure it will be KO in the first round...to the Hugo 2!!!...so no opposition anyway! ...not really, my equally good friend @UntilThen...simply good-hearted - and what should prove VERY interesting - competition. May the best man win....me!!!...But how can we possibly know for sure?...I've no money left for a Yggy, and I doubt your better half will countenance an H2 - or you yourself, for that matter!

Aha...the perfect answer...YOU, O, should get both so as to be impartial judge...now isn't that a good idea? (Still my friend lol?!! :) ).

15. pctazhp
    THIS IS GETTING SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!

battle-of-the-titans.jpg

First

Back
165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174
176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185
Next

Last