1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
First

Back
163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
Next

Last
  1. pctazhp
    Mordy. The Schiit threads are extremely active with highly enthusiastic Schiit owners. Much like our FA threads, but with a much larger customer base. There is an interesting YouTube video of Jude interviewing Jason Stoddard and Mike Moffat in 2012. They were just a small, start-up company then. It is amazing how far they have come. They are always busy developing new products (into different areas) and seem to often have difficulty keeping up with demand for existing products.

All Schiit DACs except the bottom one are built so as to be easily upgraded as technology develops. That may be one reason they are often difficult to find on the used market. In addition, up and down the line their multibit DACs receive high praise and Schiit doesn't seem to be too worried about undermining somewhat the sale of their more expensive DACs by developing high performing cheaper models. I don't think they ever intentionally cripple a lower cost model to maintain sales of more expensive models. That just doesn't seem the way Mike and Jason do business. They both have been around for decades and are highly respected.
    I could not recommend anyone buying a Schiit DAC that is not multibit. For example, I think one would be much better served to buy a multibit Bimby than a delta sigma Gungnir. At least this is my view on the subject. :smile_phones:

Edit: Also remember an advantage of buying new directly from Schiit is their 15-day return policy, with a 5% restocking feel.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. Oskari
    That is a very nice version of this song!

3. UntilThen
    Did I hear balance? :ksc75smile:

I was just teasing CJ. He will always be a friend to me. :smile_phones:

4. UntilThen
    Multibit is the r2r ladder resistor dac. I don't know the science behind it but it sure sounds good and natural.... and it's spell as Schiit - not Shayt.

Over at the aussie forum classified, I've seen just a few Gumby and Modi multibit dacs come up for sale and they are bought almost instantly.

ps... 2 brands featuring 2r2 technology are gaining lots of favourable reviews. Holo Spring Audio and lately, the Denafrips. They are made in China and Taiwan. However I went with Schiit because as Pct says, Mike Moffat is the designer of it and the 5 years warranty.

5. Oskari
    Irresistible and incredible.

The Corrs: Irresistible

6. Oskari
    “Fair and balanced,” you know... :confused:

But do ignore that!

7. mordy
    Hi pct,

Thanks for your insightful and thoughtful answer. Do you know if a new moderately priced DAC is being planned?

Hi UT,

One thing that kept me away from the S...t DACs is the name. On their website they claim that the way to pronounce the name is the way you think it should be pronounced....
    Anyhow, I know how to spell it, but as I said, I don't like such a name. Evidently Head-Fi does not censure it. But try to type Matsushita and see what happens lol..

8. pctazhp
    You're very welcome Mordy. I am almost certain Schiit is pretty set on their DAC line. They have clearly stated there will never be a Yiggy2 (meaning that is as high as they intend to go - subject to future upgrades to the current Yiggy model) and the Mumby is probably about a low in price they can go. There is some rumor that Bimby may be in for an upgrade because Mumby is now so close to it in performance. In addition, Schiit is busy with a lot of new stuff. Mike Moffat is working on something called an Eitr, which may be some type of Digital to Ditital Converter to convert USB to SPDIF between PCs and DAC but that is my uneducated speculation. He is also working on a project that I think he may view as his crowning lifetime achievement. It is mysteriously referred to now as the Manhattan Project. It seems it is some type of Digital Signal Processor that will work with any DAC that Mike feels could change the entire way we experience recorded music moving to a much more natural and realistic experience. No word on when those projects will come to market.

Jason is busy developing a preamp and high power amp for speaker systems.

I sincerely believe that you would be very happy with any multibit Schiit DAC you bought that was consistent with your audio budget.

9. pctazhp
    I need to make it clear Bimby is the only Schiit multibit DAC I have ever heard. But I read a lot. I'm pretty convinced that Gumby is the sweetspot in the Schiit line. Yiggy of course is the pinnacle and for anyone who can afford it, it is probably a no-brainer. But if there were a way to measure the delta of musical enjoyment hour-by-hour over the period of a year, I'm not convinced Yiggy would significantly outdistance the Gumby. That is partly because even with my own Bimby I really couldn't tell you what I'm missing that I think I could get with either Gumby or Yiggy. Right now I'm listening to Josh Groban on Tidal HD and it is is simply glorious. And both Mike and Jason have at times suggested that Gumby may be the DAC they both use at home.

10. UntilThen
    Well Pct has covered everything. There's nothing to add except that the owners of Schiit have outstanding credentials.

Don't worry about the name Mordy. The jokes around it are getting old but the products are outstanding value.

At the expense of skewing too much on Schiit, I have to reiterate that the Yggy Euforia Hd800 combo is the best I've heard, including those at the Meets.

11. UntilThen
    Audioquest Golden Gate RCA and Cinnamon USB cables came today. Took me a long time to upgrade my cables. I don't believe in spending too much on cables. These seems to add even more clarity listening to Audiophile Voices album. They aren't too expensive. About $100 each. USB sounds very good to me. Don't think I need to mess around with coaxial, BNC, AES/EBU.... until I'm bored further down the track. :)

As for power cable, this is what the Yggy manual says...

'Plug the end of the supplied IEC cord in here. You can also use fancy audiophile types but they won't really do anything - what about the thousands of feet of crap copper cables in your walls, huh?' :ksc75smile:

So thank you Schiit. I won't be upgrading my power cord.

20170525_192444.jpg

12. whirlwind
    I have been researching new dac's for sometime now....I don't understand that some people do not seem to like Schitt products for some pretty silly reasons, the name or they just assume that they are cheap....I think they have built a good name for themselves and i have rarely heard of there stuff failing, at least not any more than anybody elses.

There are many good choices one could make when getting a good dac, I certainly would not be afraid to buy any Schiit products.

The Yggy is on my short list as is the Holo Springs Level 3 ....many great choices at many different entry levels...

13. UntilThen
    whirlwind, your short list is looking good. :) If you ask me, I would say Yggy for sure because it's the only higher end DAC I've heard and boy oh boy, there's so much clarity now, it's frightening. :) It's a very neutral sounding DAC according to my ears, which is great for system matching. You can get the tube amp / tubes and headphone to match. A system is only as good as what you feed it. If it's truncated at the beginning, nothing further downstream will restore it.

There's been some very solid reviews and impressions for the Holo Spring Level 3 dac. So your choice will not be easy. Perhaps you can follow my coin toss method. :) Incidentally they are almost at the same price brackets. Yggy is a bit cheaper.

Yggy is sounding really good with my CD collections that has been ripped as flac files into my hard disk. I am glad my CD collections over the years have been useful again now.

Another thing. I'm really loving HD800 in this setup now.

14. UntilThen
    Was listening to 'Guardians of the Galaxy' through JRiver 22. I have the CD and it's ripped in. This Pina Colada song came on and I have never heard it this good. Buy the Yggy !!!

15. pctazhp
    @UntilThen I appreciate how your have shared your decision making process and your excitement with your new Yiggy. i especially appreciate the fact that I don't think you once engaged in the dull practice of innuendo involving Schiit's name. That is so old and unimaginative, I now cringe every time I see it and add a 50% discount to my evaluation of whatever the person is trying to say.

I'm sure both the Yiggy and Holo Spring Level 3 are wonderful DACs. They both have an army of enthusiastic supporters. Probably hard to go wrong with either. All things being equal, I would always default to Schiit because of Mike and Jason's long standing and well deserved reputations, and the fact that Schiit is probably the most transparent manufacturer in audio history.

First

Back
163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172
174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183
Next

Last