1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by hypnos1, Jan 9, 2017.
First

Back
143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152
154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163
Next

Last
  1. mordy
    Hi UT,

Having started with the EF86 I am reluctant to switch to the EF80. Is there a difference in sound?
    (I am not addressing gain and price ATM.)

Re the EF80, which makes are considered the best sounding ones? Could not find comparisons between the EF86 and EF80 except for that they are very different.

2. pctazhp
    @UntilThen. I think I'm more of a Bamby kind of guy. Maybe in my next life I will be a Nordic God. Now you on the other hand, stride the world in a way even Zeus would envy !!!!

3. UntilThen
    Mordy, with price such as these Mullard EF80 from Langrex, there's good incentives to switch.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EF80-CV1376...824772?hash=item3d0b6eefc4:g:veIAAOSwAKxWaW52

If you go to the La Figaro 339 thread, they would prefer the EF86 over the EF80 but to my ears the EF80 sounds just as good. I'm not kidding you. Been running these tubes since morning with Bendix 6080wb.

I've both the Siemens and Mullard EF80. Both are good brands and equally good tone. I'd say the Mullard is a bit warmer. Try it. :)

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  4. UntilThen
    Man, Gumby has featured prominently in my mind for the last 2 days. Just about read every man and his dog's opinion on it. There's not a bad opinion so far. All good. Quite incredible right?

Down side is it seems that some USB decrapifier will lift it even more. That's a new word for me - decrapifier lol.

It seems Schitt Wyrd is good for the Gumby but I should really consider BNC coaxial connection if I decide to go with Gumby. I think I should try all kinds of connections and find out for myself.

5. Tunkejazz
    The HD650 are excellent headphones with a very flat frequency response overall except somewhat rolled subbass.

For example in my case...I am very sensitive to "peaks" in the frequency response in the upper part of the spectrum. HD800 are in many ways better, but they sadly are quite prominent around 10kHz. I tried them...clearly not for me. The HD650+Kameleon inline filter (just adds subbass) is very hard to beat for the price, at least they are tonally very good. In my opinion of course and given the type of music I like to listen too.

I guess I just want to say that if you like your HD650...then enjoy them and feel good about it!

6. DecentLevi
    Hey guys, nice to see this threadz' still alive. Sorry if it's already been answered so feel free to post a link, but what was the negative on that Denafrips DAC? Or has it since warmed up to you? Thanks, @connieflyer

7. pctazhp
    The issue of decrapifiers brings up an issue @DecentLevi tried to raise a while back. For reasons I gave then I am skeptical, but I've never tried one so I really don't know. I will say that I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money on them to deal with an issue I felt was not fully handled by Schiit in the Gumby. The money, it seems to me, might better be served applied toward acquisition of a Yiggy.

The main problem I've got with both Gumby and Yiggy is not with them but with me and the way my mind works. If I had a balanced DAC, and with that XLR cable sitting in my HD800S box untouched by human hands since it left the Senn factory, I would feel a duty to the world (or at least to my own obsessive-compulsive personality) to see how my system would sound with a balanced amp. And since I'm still waiting for my new Euforia to arrive that's a path I don't even want to think about right now.

Also, I'm equally skeptical about the benefit of balanced in the desktop setting as I am about the benefit of decrapifiers. And I also have to accept the fact that perfection in SQ will never be mine. I know that my 72-year old ears are not what they used to be, and that they are probably the main limiting factor or weak link in the chain from my PC Tidal HD to my brain.

BTW, if you do get the Gumby and feel that a coax connection would be better than good old-fashioned asynchronious USB, you might want to consider the ASUS soundcard that @connierflyer uses: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product..._sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AULKMQJC8KN3W

8. richard89
    Is it possible to use the Kameleon in the Euforia as well? Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

9. Tunkejazz
    Umm, I don't want to hijack the thread (at all!) with this, so this will be my only post about Kameleon...

Sure you can use it with any DAC/AMP combo as long as they are connected via RCA cables. You just need to place it between your DAC and your amp (whichever brand they may be). So the chain would be:

DAC -> RCA cable -> Kameleon -> RCA cable -> Amp

If you are based in Europe, you may be able to source one from user tupisac (over diyah.boards.net) for 200 EUR including one filter module and external power supply.
    http://diyah.boards.net/post/26270/thread

If you are in the US, the G1217 is probably the best option (more expensive though).

I just ordered my second Kameleon to use it with Euforia (from Tupisac). The effect, to my ears, is remarkable with the HD650 and HE400i. You can read about the effect of the filter on HD650 here:
    https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd650/

I have read that the HD800 can be filtered nicely too:
    http://diyah.boards.net/post/16854/thread

I have absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with the creators of these filters, I just find their effect quite remarkable in my system, in case you are interested. In my system, no tube change ever made such a difference in SQ as using the Kameleon, because it addresses particular issues that different headphones may have (like resonances, peaks, early roll off and stuff like that).

Not a cheap option, but if you put it into perspective, most tube combos discussed in this thread are in the same ballpark :wink:

10. MIKELAP
    I also made a choice last week i decided to with Gumby and Pokey. lol. 51DSuME4A-L.jpg

Tunkejazz likes this.
  11. UntilThen
    Good to know Mikey. Let us know how Gumby goes. :)

12. Liu Junyuan
    I use the EF86 in the 339 all the time. I just have not got around to buying adapters to actually try the EF80 so cannot make any decisive conclusions. Some others before me said they preferred the EF86 to the EF80 but I remain curious.

I used to own the Gumby and now own the Yggy. The Gumby is nearly indistinguishable from the Yggy, with a touch more euphonic warmth than the Yggy. The Yggy also slams harder in the bass. I think the Gumby resolves just as much microdetail and conveys microdynamics pretty close to the Yggy, even if the Yggy is more reference level accurate in timbre.

As far as decrapifiers, I have some experience here as well. First, don't worry about at first. Work on the source later. If possible at some point, try to avoid USB altogether, or at the very least try to eventually get an affordable and quality DDC such as the Singxer devices (SU-1) that allow you to feed a USB signal into the Gumby's superior BNC input. This in itself is a great option. But what would be better is picking up a Lynx pci or pci-express card (which can be put in a Thunderbolt enclosure) in order to evade USB from the source to the DAC.

However, there is very solid evidence Schiit themselves (see Mike Moffat's blog) will soon release a highly price-competitive DDC-type device that also allows one to evade USB output from source. Mike Moffat, the designer for Schiit's DACs, hates USB with a passion and repeatedly claims it is the worst input on his DACs, even if his DACs still sound great through them and are a great place to begin.

I would hold on to your NAD M51 instead of picking up the Denafrips. The Gumby may indeed be a more substantial upgrade. I am admittedly quite interested in the Danish Soekris DACs as well.

Responding to the comment about balanced outputs, the Gumby still sounds fantastic through the RCA outputs (that's what I predominately used) and is still better than the Bimby through them. I once owned a Jensen PC-2XR XLR/RCA transformer, which is what Eddie Current uses in their amps to allow for XLR output from the DAC, and I noticed a very marginal difference with the Gumby and Yggy to the point where I sold it. I am currently using the RCA outputs from the Yggy into the 339 and ZDS and feel absolutely zero qualms about it.

Sorry for the OT discussion, but I thought chiming in with the above might be helpful given the recent topic on DACs.

I am glad you are enjoying the EUFORIA; I wish I can hear it soon!

13. attmci
  14. mordy
    [​IMG]

Who is this audiophile?

15. pctazhp
First

Back
143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152
154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163
Next