Feliks Audio Espressivo / Espressivo MKII OTL Tube Amp Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #211 of 232
Hello
Anandas are not very hungry, not at all.
They have 25 ohms and 100 db of sensitivity. They are not difficult to move. In fact, at 11 o'clock they sound loud and full but unbalanced. I think the problem will come more from the type of planar driver. This amplifier is theoretically recommended for headphones from 60 to 600 ohms.
A 300 ohm sennhesiher hd800s or a 600 ohm beyerdynamic t1 are harder to move and theoretically move them with solvency.
Cheers

Dec 15, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #212 of 232
Hello
Anandas are not very hungry, not at all.
They have 25 ohms and 100 db of sensitivity. They are not difficult to move. In fact, at 11 o'clock they sound loud and full but unbalanced. I think the problem will come more from the type of planar driver. This amplifier is theoretically recommended for headphones from 60 to 600 ohms.
A 300 ohm sennhesiher hd800s or a 600 ohm beyerdynamic t1 are harder to move and theoretically move them with solvency.
Cheers
It's with the impedance matching on the output stage. Lower "Z" = higher current draw. Pairing the Espressivo as a preamp with a nice solid state amp solves the output impedance issue. The sensitivity is related to how well the headphones react to the AC voltage signal.

*Edit
Theoretically you are correct as far as the impedance is concerned. The higher Z of the Senns and Beyers draw less current, but require more voltage.

Anandas = Current hunger
Senns = Voltage hunger
:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #213 of 232
@Kike6685 , If you're seriously in to tube "rolling" and want to use planars while using the same tube types as the espressivo, the Schiit Lyr and Lyr2 are a great option. I use the Lyr2 when I'm at work as it will feed any headphone and is friendly to more tubes. I use the espressivo in my home audio setup. When listening at home I use the Asgard2 as an output amp for planars and plug directly in when using Senns.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #214 of 232
Ok.
I will use anandas with ifi and grado gh2 with feliks, fostex with both.
I am looking for a detailed headphone that works well with feliks.
Between focal clear, hd800s and beyerdynamic t1, which one makes better synergy?
Which one do you recommend?
Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #215 of 232
Ok.
I will use anandas with ifi and grado gh2 with feliks, fostex with both.
I am looking for a detailed headphone that works well with feliks.
Between focal clear, hd800s and beyerdynamic t1, which one makes better synergy?
Which one do you recommend?
Cheers
I Haven't tried any of those. I know that Beyers typically have a brighter sound signature.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #217 of 232
Finally I have decided to get focal clear.
They have 55 ohms and are a dynamic driver.
Will they work well with expressive that recommends a minimum of 60 ohms which is almost 55 ohms?
Cheers

I would have recommended the T1 2nd gen if you can get a pair, honestly an amazing pairing with the Espressivo... one of my all time favourite matches between two pieces of gear.

Smooth, refined and effortless.

Not sure how the clears are going to sound, I personally wouldn't have matched a low impedance headphone like that with the Espressivo.

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #218 of 232
Ok. Thanks for your advice
Works well with 600 ohms?
Does t1 have fullness, slam and punch like focals?
I am serching a pair with detail, imsging and punch. For example, hd800s with valves maybe has this sound..
Maybe t1 is similar to hd800s but with more punch

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #219 of 232
Ok. Thanks for your advice
Works well with 600 ohms?
Does t1 have fullness, slam and punch like focals?
I am serching a pair with detail, imsging and punch. For example, hd800s with valves maybe has this sound..
Maybe t1 is similar to hd800s but with more punch

T1 2nd gen is super refined and enjoyable. They don't have visceral punch, for that ideally you want a good pair of planars with a solid state amp. But what they do have is space, detail and depth.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #220 of 232
I purchased my Esspresivo last December. Love it immensely. In other threads I'm told you don't listen to low impedance, and/or very sensitive headphones. I do! Grados, Clear, and many others. Too bad this was recently discontinued......

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #221 of 232
I'm in the market for one of the Feliks amps, but haven't been able to find comparisons between the Echo and the Espressivo. A few people have asked about it before me but I didn't see any replies, so I thought I'd give it another shot.

While the Espressivo is a bit more attractive with those silver knobs, is there a big enough difference in sound quality to justify the additional $272 for the Espressivo?

Now, of course, there's the Echo II with nearly as much power as the Espressivo and also has the three sets of inputs. So the big difference on paper would be the tube types -- are the Espressivo's going to provide a more tubey effect or more options for rolling?

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #222 of 232
Has anyone tried running this as a pre-amp?
I just ordered an Espressivo MK II and it shipped today. I am waiting on its arrival. I know that if I wanted to use the Empyreans with a tube amp, the Feliks Euforia would have been the way to go. However, I don't know if I'm too keen on Empyrean with tubes. I've tried it with tubes before and I tend to prefer SS with those. Thus, I went for the much cheaper Espressivo MK II over the Euforia. I heard (and fell in love with) a Linear Tube Audio Z10 at a Headfi meet and I am saving up my money to get one of those. It's an expensive one, though, and I absolutely had to have some tubes to hold me over until then.
I'm mostly planning on using this with Focals, Sennheiser HD600/HD650s, and an HD800S. I contemplated picking up a Beyerdynamic or something else to mess around with.
However, my question is this: how well would it work as a pre-amp?
I guess I'll find out when it gets here, and in case anyone wants to know, I can come back in a few days and post impressions.
I'm curious to see what the Meze Empyrean and Abyss 1266 Phi TC sound like with the Espressivo MK II ----> GS-X Mini combo. Really curious to see how it'll perform as a pre-amp. I have a friend who owns a Euforia and swears by its ability to perform as a very good pre-amp, so, here's hoping that this will be a cohesive match.

May 3, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #225 of 232
The Amperex 6922 d getter is a more Dynamic sounding tube the the Siemens Valvo CCa 1963 tubes. I been wanting to try some Mazda tubes. I must say the 5670 tubes with adapters sound great and cost less then the 6922 tubes.
Have you also tried comparing the Philips E80CC 6085 Platinum Holland Heerlen plant Gold Pins against the Amperex 6922 d getter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back