1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Feliks Audio Elise Tube Rolling Guide 6SN7/6AS7G/6080/5998

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by renderman, May 6, 2015.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Next

Last
  1. gibosi

The major visible difference between the small 6SN7W and the late 1940's /early 1950's chrome domes is the 6SN7W has an additional free-standing, support rod between the top and bottom micas. In terms of sound, they are quite close, but vocals are a bit thinner and dryer with the chrome domes. Both are excellent in my opinion.

2. hpamdr
    Please a picture with the base [​IMG]
    For now i'm switching some VT-231 and Some 7N7 to burn them before the Elise arrive.

3. Renderman
    Ha, I think I've got some of those Sylvanias as well! Damn, now you got me looking... lol!

Sounds like a very sweet deal for all those tubes! Have you tried them yet? :D

4. Renderman
    You are right hpadmdr! We need pictures :)

5. gibosi

I am not sure I understand...

All 6SN7 have the same octal base: 6SN7A, 6SN7W, 6SN7GT, 6SN7GTA, 6SN7GTB, 6SN7WGT and 6SN7WGTA.

6. Shaffer

They can be had very reasonably, especially if one opts for a rebrand. For example, I have a pair of matching Hoffman (ie. Sylvania) chrome domes. Magnavox, Philco, etc. Some Sylvania-branded, as well. EIA code 312.

I've tried the 5V4G - a very meaty, yet fairly transparent tube. Can't wait to try the Raytheon 6CY7.

I'm burning in tubes, as usual, this time with a NOS GE rectifier that I got for free with a $6 GE/RCA 5U4G purchase. The (free) GE can be had as NOS for under $9 shipped. It has no right to sound as good as it does.

Received a BNIB RCA #83V today. Not to be confused with a #83, which is Mercury Vapor, the #83V supposedly has the lowest Vdrop next to a GZ34. The tube I got had pins as black as coal. It likely hasn't been touched in, what, ~50 years sitting in a seemingly moist space. Probably a basement. I bypassed all chemical cleaning measures and went straight for the dull pocket knife scrape. The pins came out bright and shiny.

7. Shaffer
    DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

Some of my oddball rectifiers. I included a Brimar 5Z4GY and a 6AS7G for scale.

The top row, from left to right, shows Type 80 tubes from the '40s to the early-60s GT shape. The larger ST shaped bpttle of the far right is a 1275 tube, a lower powered version of the Type 80.

The bottom row shows a pair of #83V tubes, which are very good, and the aforementioned bottles for scale.

8. gibosi
    Most of the Siemens C3g out there are from the 1970's, with silkscreened shiny black cans. For some time now, I have been curious to discover how the Siemens C3g from the 1950's and 60's compare. And yesterday, I received a such a pair with embossed flat-black cans.

2015-10-1410.09.19.jpg

And here, compared to Lorenz C3g from the mid 1960's

2015-10-1410.04.20.jpg

I am pleased to report that they light up and play, but haven't yet had the opportunity to make any comparisons.

2015-10-1410.32.24.jpg

9. whirlwind
    Call me crazy, but I like the look of these tubes, in their jackets [​IMG]

10. Shaffer

I like the rubber band around the base of that massive rectifier, if one doesn't mind me saying, would likely sound and look great in my Woo.

Two words - Nail Magic. It can be had in professional beauty supply stores. ~$20 a bottle. Holds like superglue. OK, maybe not that hard, but I've yet to see a base move even slightly after application.

11. gibosi

Even though this rectifier tested NOS, the glue bond had completely failed and as a result, I got it for a very good price. A couple rubber bands to hold it together and an application of Sally Hanson"s "Hard as Nails" and now it is rock solid. But I think the pink rubber band adds a bit of class, so I have kept it. lol :)

2015-09-1908.39.25.jpg

12. Shaffer
    I actually used that pic as a guide. Thanks for the tip on the nail polish, words I never thought I'd say. :)

We've had an unfortunate vent in our family; a loved one has passed. I'm heavily tranquilized right now, which may explain the friendly demeanor. But, I digress. ATM, I'm playing one of my favorite pieces of music - Philip Glass' Metamorphosis. Solo piano. OK, not the most uplifting thing around, but the Sally Wittwell rendition rocks, as much as such a thing could.

Passing the time, I've been going back and forth between the WA6 and the Elise. The Elise is shod with '62 vintage GE 6AS7GA and Raytheon 6SN7GTAs. The Woo has a pair of Sylvania 6FD7 fat bottles and a GZ34. I think I've already used the bulk of applicable metaphors to describe the difference.

Here, with a concert grand, the most evident differences are speed, dynamics, solidity and stability of the soundfield. In essence, one sounds like a piano and the other sounds like a piece of audio gear trying to reproduce a piano. The Elise wears the emotional content of the piece on its proverbial sleeve; the Woo is playing back sound. I don't dislike the Woo. I just think it's a lackluster product at its price point. Actually, the WA6 is the only amplifier I've heard since 1986, when I acquired my first high-performance system, that truly suits some types of music better than others - nothing complex, as it turns into a homogeneous mush, and as quiet and sparse as possible. This is not a compliment.

Edit: As for the cans, I'm using modified K702 - my favorite - and HD600 for a higher-z variant. The Woo can't drive DT880/600 without very noticeable alterations to its frequency response. The Elise can, no problem, as can the DV.

[OT] The appearance of the big Singlepower thread got me interested, so a read a bunch more. What struck me about all the discussions were the folks involved. They were grownups. Now the forum is mostly composed of kids. What happened? [/OT]

13. Shaffer
    Having just read five pages of endless nonsensical explanations as to how running two totally different drivers in the Elise is a good thing - lost count of the leaps of logic - I can honestly say it's the highlight of the day. Really needed it, after coming back from an all-night florist with a bouquet for a funeral.

Anyone notice, the talk about 6N7G - The Joybringers - is suddenly over? Good times.

14. hypnos1

Hmmm..."Two totally different drivers"...perhaps you'd like to expand on that statement - look forward to your own "logic", lol!

And anyone notice a certain previous banning connected with such talk?...Good times?!

15. gibosi

I don't think there is any doubt about it. An FDD20 and an ECC31 are "totally different drivers". A FDD20 is a 12 volt version of a 6N7. It is not a 12 volt version of an ECC31. And while the 6N7 and ECC31 are similar, they are certainly not the same.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Next

Last