Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype)
Oct 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #136 of 3,428
  WOW!Looks really clean looking.
 I personally prefer the volume Knob off centre and the HP Jack on the faceplate(I hate my CRACK having all of the  connections on top but then i'am after the sound not the looks) and i would like to see a separate transformer covers if it have two transformers or something like a split looks for the transformer cover.But then again this is just me.
I like the name too "ELISE".
beerchug.gif
(I for got my smiley and THANK YOU!)
biggrin.gif

great name...ELISE.

i prefer the headfone jack on the frontplate...less strain on the jack. 

will there be enuf space to accomodate PSvane CV181 cokebottle type of tubes  on the 6sn7 slots ?

Same here, the headphone jack on front with the volume control on the other end.

Would like the volume knob to be a contrasting color and also have some kind of calibration markings, on the knob or case or both. The headphone jack has to be on the front panel. There should be ample space between sockets to roll coke bottle size tubes. Where is the "on" indicator light?

Another nice idea would be to supply adapters so that you can roll different tubes with pinouts other than the stock sockets.

Don't know if they will have problems with the suggested name. Here is a Lotus Elise:

2005-lotus-elise-front-left.jpg

Looks interesting I am also in the headphone out on the front panel club after going through several new connectors which have become damaged and a amp that was on one occasion very nearly pulled of its shelf by a snagged cable the cable must be able to pull out cleanly in case of such a event.

I like it its simple but headphone jack must be on the front panel  i like big volume knob in the middle like my Burson Conductor i also put a bigger knob on my Littledot MK3 and i find it looks great One thing also i hope the case will be  stirdy something that feels solid . Maybe not like wa2 but i would like it if it was . i am very interested in this amp think ill wait a bit and see how it comes out .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hi y'all...don't know if you've seen the GOOD NEWS yet, but everyone's horror at the HP's positioning (including mine!) has managed to encourage the Feliks guys to see the error of their ways, lol!...once again I thank you for your prompt feedback - without it I think we would have lost the day...and am sure I'm not the only one who would have been put off big time. Mind you, at the end of the day there are more important things that need to be right, and where it really counts I think they will deliver VERY big time...

And mordy, that was real eagle-eyed of you to notice no power light or volume calibrations...WELL DONE! (Methinks they were looking to be TOO neat and minimalist - we need both form AND function, n'est-ce pas?!).

Anyway, it is real encouraging that they not only respect the views of us here at head-fi, but are prepared to ACT on them - especially at this late stage. This is no mean accomplishment and deserves our collective thanks and gratitude to Lukasz and his team...which I have already sent on all our behalf...

ps. As I thought, these missiles will delay production by about 2 weeks...a VERY small price to pay, methinks! I, for one, am not complaining
wink.gif

pps... john57 - don't know yet what make of HP jack or what it looks like, but we can be sure it will NOT be 'cheap 'n nasty'!!

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #137 of 3,428
  i agree .. with the vol knob on the front panel, it doesn't make sense to have top-mounted hp jack.  having said that, consideration should be given to ensuring that the product is still end-user maintainable.  with tube amps, it's not a matter of if, but when, you will need to access the guts --- in this case, the pcb, in order to check components, voltages, etc.

i recently went through a very trying experience with an all tube amp (single driver, single pwr tube) wherein 4 front panel screws had to be removed, 5 4 topside screws (5th screw covered by topside xfmr cover ... had to locate matching screw on the pcb to release) and multiple pwr connections disconnected.  even then, despite careful handling, removal & reinsertion of the pcb resulted in 3 solder joint breaks, one after the other.  my level of frustration went through the roof (with only my bp pills keeping me from blowing a gasket!) but i persevered and finished the job at hand ... result ... fantastic, with curved brown base osram (gec) 6as7g and 5751 windmill getter.

so, front-panel hp jack ... but ensure pcb is still easily accessible/removable for maintainability.

<edit> looks like positive outcome by the time it took for me to compose & post this.

Hi g49.

Yes, VERY positive outcome indeed. Have no idea just how easy it'll be to 'get inside' - but let's hope it won't be too inaccessible!

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #138 of 3,428
Hi H 1,

Will this headphone amp also function as a preamp in a speaker system?

What about supplying plug in adapters for tube rolling, either as part of the package or as an option? For example, substituting 5687 tubes instead of the 6SN7 tubes as drivers?

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #140 of 3,428
  Hi H 1,

What about supplying plug in adapters for tube rolling, either as part of the package or as an option? For example, substituting 5687 tubes instead of the 6SN7 tubes as drivers?

Hi mordy.

Yep, there is preamp out, complete with protection circuit for direct-coupled amps...handy!

As for adapters, sounds like a great idea for US, lol, but how do they decide just which other tubes to cater for? Everyone has their own preferences. It would have to be much further down the road I suspect, and only with a good deal of demand for the same tubes, no? Certainly an option for them to consider later, for sure...but hey, let the poor guys get over the current missile attack!!
wink_face.gif

ps. On closer inspection of one of the close-up pics, there ARE calibration marks on the front panel for the volume knob - just not very clear! Presumably they are going to make it more visible, with some on the knob itself...

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #141 of 3,428
  Hi H 1,

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #142 of 3,428
Speaking of Tube Rolling adapters...

If Felikis could make adapters....and get them to USA customers...much faster than the current source...

They could sell a bunch of 'em!

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #144 of 3,428
  Hi Mikelap,

Is this what u mean?

cash-register-national-model-452-as51469.jpg

Ya something like that.    
wink_face.gif
      And by the way that is a nice one reminds me  of the one  my father had at the store, when i worked there as a kid  .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #145 of 3,428
biggrin.gif
Quote:

WOW!Looks really clean looking.
 I personally prefer the volume Knob off centre and the HP Jack on the faceplate(I hate my CRACK having all of the  connections on top but then i'am after the sound not the looks) and i would like to see a separate transformer covers if it have two transformers or something like a split looks for the transformer cover.But then again this is just me.
I like the name too "ELISE".
beerchug.gif
(I for got my smiley and THANK YOU!)
biggrin.gif

great name...ELISE.

i prefer the headfone jack on the frontplate...less strain on the jack. 

will there be enuf space to accomodate PSvane CV181 cokebottle type of tubes  on the 6sn7 slots ?

Same here, the headphone jack on front with the volume control on the other end.

Would like the volume knob to be a contrasting color and also have some kind of calibration markings, on the knob or case or both. The headphone jack has to be on the front panel. There should be ample space between sockets to roll coke bottle size tubes. Where is the "on" indicator light?

Another nice idea would be to supply adapters so that you can roll different tubes with pinouts other than the stock sockets.

Don't know if they will have problems with the suggested name. Here is a Lotus Elise:

2005-lotus-elise-front-left.jpg

Looks interesting I am also in the headphone out on the front panel club after going through several new connectors which have become damaged and a amp that was on one occasion very nearly pulled of its shelf by a snagged cable the cable must be able to pull out cleanly in case of such a event.

I like it its simple but headphone jack must be on the front panel  i like big volume knob in the middle like my Burson Conductor i also put a bigger knob on my Littledot MK3 and i find it looks great One thing also i hope the case will be  stirdy something that feels solid . Maybe not like wa2 but i would like it if it was . i am very interested in this amp think ill wait a bit and see how it comes out .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Hi y'all...don't know if you've seen the GOOD NEWS yet, but everyone's horror at the HP's positioning (including mine!) has managed to encourage the Feliks guys to see the error of their ways, lol!...once again I thank you for your prompt feedback - without it I think we would have lost the day...and am sure I'm not the only one who would have been put off big time. Mind you, at the end of the day there are more important things that need to be right, and where it really counts I think they will deliver VERY big time...

And mordy, that was real eagle-eyed of you to notice no power light or volume calibrations...WELL DONE! (Methinks they were looking to be TOO neat and minimalist - we need both form AND function, n'est-ce pas?!).

Anyway, it is real encouraging that they not only respect the views of us here at head-fi, but are prepared to ACT on them - especially at this late stage. This is no mean accomplishment and deserves our collective thanks and gratitude to Lukasz and his team...which I have already sent on all our behalf...

ps. As I thought, these missiles will delay production by about 2 weeks...a VERY small price to pay, methinks! I, for one, am not complaining
wink.gif

pps... john57 - don't know yet what make of HP jack or what it looks like, but we can be sure it will NOT be 'cheap 'n nasty'!!

You guys realized no need for a power indicator right?It already have 4 pointing up and it's visible in all directions/angles
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #146 of 3,428
  You guys realized no need for a power indicator right?It already have 4 pointing up and it's visible in all directions/angles
biggrin.gif

GOOD POINT, ilm2!....Ah well, at least it's encouraged them to put in a "nice-looking power indicator light", which should 'pretty' it up a bit lol!  
wink_face.gif
...(I can just imagine the look on the designer's face when Lukasz hit him with our suggestions...
eek.gif
!!!). We don't know how lucky we are, methinks!...

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #147 of 3,428

biggrin.gif

GOOD POINT, ilm2!....Ah well, at least it's encouraged them to put in a "nice-looking power indicator light", which should 'pretty' it up a bit lol!  
wink_face.gif
...(I can just imagine the look on the designer's face when Lukasz hit him with our suggestions...
eek.gif
!!!). We don't know how lucky we are, methinks!...

And i hope it's not a bright LED or you/we guys are going to end up covering that indicator some of them are bright.MY LD's power indicator are covered i hate that blue LED maybe because i'am usually listening in the dark room all the lights are off.I can relate to the designer's reactions when he/she was slapped with another plan while the work is nearly done usually my reaction was What is wrong with these people sometimes i want to throw some tools at my boss.
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #148 of 3,428
The reason that I asked for an indicator light is that my LD amp is sitting on a shelf on an equipment rack and sitting in my listening chair I can't always see the glow of the tubes. Some tubes don't have much of a glow at all. Agree that the indicator light shouldn't be too bright which is irritating, even when the lights are on.

I have a backup drive on my desk. The indicator light is so bright that I had to cover it up with a smiley sticker from one of my grandchildren.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #149 of 3,428
The Elise certainly does look like it will be a great little amp. But since I am more of a tinkerer and tube roller than an audiophile, the fact that it requires two drivers is a non-starter for me. I have too many single drivers, some quite rare and often expensive, and the thought that I would have to try to find matches for these tubes in order to enjoy them stops me cold. But it is great to see the enthusiasm here, and I sincerely hope it lives up to everyone's expectations. :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #150 of 3,428
Hi G,

If you have two different driver tubes that sound similar, nothing prevents you from using them as a pair. IMHO you can only hear a difference when they are very dissimilar or vary a lot in how loud they play. Sometimes two different tubes will complement each other and enhance the sound as well.

With separate voltage regulators you can run two tubes on different voltages as well. - not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back