Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Jul 17, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #13,741 of 13,846
I was wondering if the echo mkII would be a better sub 1000 dollar tube amp to pair with the Sennheiser HD600s and focal clear in 2022. I was debating between that or a used Elise mkI near me for 500 dollars or a bottle head crack with speedball is an option but I don't love the idea of DIY.

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #13,742 of 13,846
I was wondering if the echo mkII would be a better sub 1000 dollar tube amp to pair with the Sennheiser HD600s and focal clear in 2022. I was debating between that or a used Elise mkI near me for 500 dollars or a bottle head crack with speedball is an option but I don't love the idea of DIY.
I haven't heard the Echo or Crack but the used Elise seems to make the most sense. The Elise is a step above the Echo. And if you are not happy with the Elise, you could sell it with little to lose.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #13,743 of 13,846
I had Elise MK II for a over year and it's amazing with HD650/600. Elise has very tight bass which probably won't be the case on something like Crack, but that doens't mean that it's "better". I can imagine someone preferring one over the other.

For example WA2 with upgraded tubes is incredible amp but it will never do bass as tight and controlled as Elise/Euphoria, does it mean it's worse than Elise? No, it's just different.

Not sure about the MK I Elise tho, I saw those selling very cheap, so I guess there was some problem or something.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #13,744 of 13,846
I had Elise MK II for a over year and it's amazing with HD650/600. Elise has very tight bass which probably won't be the case on something like Crack, but that doens't mean that it's "better". I can imagine someone preferring one over the other.

For example WA2 with upgraded tubes is incredible amp but it will never do bass as tight and controlled as Elise/Euphoria, does it mean it's worse than Elise? No, it's just different.

Not sure about the MK I Elise tho, I saw those selling very cheap, so I guess there was some problem or something.
No problem with MK 1. I have both Elise and Euforia MK 1. Elise with GEC KT88 and EL11's running T1, 600 and 650 is still a great tube amp. Euforia is better with my HD800 as one would expect.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #13,745 of 13,846
No problem with MK 1. I have both Elise and Euforia MK 1. Elise with GEC KT88 and EL11's running T1, 600 and 650 is still a great tube amp. Euforia is better with my HD800 as one would expect.
Then that's a steal, I remember seeing some for 300 something dollars. Yea Euphoria is quite a step up.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #13,746 of 13,846
Nah they used to cost a lot less back then, that's why the resale value is often very cheap

Jul 18, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #13,747 of 13,846
Thanks for the responses I went ahead with the Elise mk1, though it wasn't as cheap as 300 dollars I'd say I got a decent deal on it considering it is so versatile and responsive to tube rolling. The euphoria is a bit too far out of my price bracket hah. Maybe one day for a used one. I don't think I'll go anything beyond this for a long while if ever.

Jul 18, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #13,748 of 13,846
Thanks for the responses I went ahead with the Elise mk1, though it wasn't as cheap as 300 dollars I'd say I got a decent deal on it considering it is so versatile and responsive to tube rolling. The euphoria is a bit too far out of my price bracket hah. Maybe one day for a used one. I don't think I'll go anything beyond this for a long while if ever.
I owned both the Elise and (still have) the Euforia . The Elise is a little leaner sounding but the two early versions I have experience with don’t differ that much.
Don’t think that the Euforia is far better!
You got a good and very versatile amp. The main thing is to make sure that it does not overheat - good ventilation and perhaps the use of a USB fan if needed.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #13,749 of 13,846
Good info. thanks. Is your Elise also MK I though?

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #13,750 of 13,846
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #13,751 of 13,846
Sweet! EL11's are wonderful tubes. I am selling my Elise MKII (see classified) as I was able to buy a used Euforia AE from a fellow-head-fi'er, but have LOVED my time with Elise MKII.

Jul 18, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #13,753 of 13,846
Hi @mordy. I am still new to AE. Early impression is that AE is a little less "warm" but more refined, balanced and technically proficient. With Elise I found I looked for tube sets to bring out treble extension and to emphasize clarity and detail, whereas these attributes appear intrinsic with AE across different tube sets. At first I felt AE lacked some of Elise's incredible organic euphony, and while I still think it is less "tubey" then Elise and a bit closer to solid state sound, AE retains a high level of musicality and engagement. I am also really impressed with AE's layering, instrument placement and imaging, which greatly rewards attentive listening. Soundstage width is comparable but height and depth are better on AE, providing a more "holographic" sound field to use that over-hyped audiophile term. It is NOT a night and day difference, and there is clearly a "family" resemblance with both amps being terrific performers. I loved Elise, owned it for 3 years which is easily a record for me, and am anticipating an equally long and happy relationship with AE! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #13,754 of 13,846
Hi @mordy. I am still new to AE. Early impression is that AE is a little less "warm" but more refined, balanced and technically proficient. With Elise I found I looked for tube sets to bring out treble extension and to emphasize clarity and detail, whereas these attributes appear intrinsic with AE across different tube sets. At first I felt AE lacked some of Elise's incredible organic euphony, and while I still think it is less "tubey" then Elise and a bit closer to solid state sound, AE retains a high level of musicality and engagement. I am also really impressed with AE's layering, instrument placement and imaging, which greatly rewards attentive listening. Soundstage width is comparable but height and depth are better on AE, providing a more "holographic" sound field to use that over-hyped audiophile term. It is NOT a night and day difference, and there is clearly a "family" resemblance with both amps being terrific performers. I loved Elise, owned it for 3 years which is easily a record for me, and am anticipating an equally long and happy relationship with AE! :smile_phones:
Happy to hear that! My expectation is that by time you are going to find tube combinations that give you exactly the sound you like.
Every amp is a little (or lot) different, and the same tubes you used before may sound different in the new amp.

Part of the fun with tube amps is the audio journey to find that elusive perfect combination. Then you tell yourself that this is the end game, until...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #13,755 of 13,846
I have received the amp and it works(?), loving the sound of my HD600s on it and the focal clears are even more fun on it. However, there is an occasional popping/crackling in the right channel. As for the left one there is nothing except for a very slight hum when there is nothing playing which I assume is to be expected. As for the right channel issue it could be due to my topping dx7 pro(which I've put in dac mode)/phone being near it though? I'm not sure how the thing is wired but the right side of the amp is very close to. Or it could be the tubes? If anyone has some feedback that would be great. It's not too noticeable when actually listening to music but it's there. I'm relatively hopeful that it's not anything to do with the amp itself since it is built like a tank... hah....

As for replacing/tube rolling I'll save that for another day hah. Just got my steam deck recently as well :3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back