Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 14, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #13,383 of 13,846
I know you do things differently. I'm just being a pain in the you-know-what. Sorry. :innocent:

You can see my "mains cable fuses" (10A & 16A) and RCDs (GFCIs) in this photo:

Hey O, no-one could ever call you 'a pain in the proverbial' lol! :ksc75smile:....always the gentleman - even if, unlike me, of few words!! :wink:

Aah, so all your protection (apart from equipment internal fuses) is at the main circuit breaker box...like our 'fuse box' over here, or with the more modern switchable circuit breakers (that I've installed and much prefer!). We then also have a slightly lower fuse rating in demanding equipments' plugs, and lower still for lamps etc. With so much ancillary electrical equipment in the same line as what supplies our highly resolving (and sensitive) hi-fi gear, no wonder good mains conditioning is pretty well vital....and that's not including goodness-knows-what cr** is inherited from everyone else before us in the power queue lol! :anguished::anguished:...plus what's increasingly filling the airwaves around us...:triportsad:...(call me paranoid, cynical...I don't mind, O!...:))....CHEERS!...CJ

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #13,384 of 13,846
Would the Elise be a good fit for the HD800S?
Can the Elise be used in countries with hot weather?
I dont eant to invest a shitload into tubes, so I wonder if stock/cheap tubes work well with the Elise and how long they last?
Would I miss a balanced output on the Elise?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #13,385 of 13,846
Would the Elise be a good fit for the HD800S?
I dont eant to invest a ****load into tubes, so I wonder if stock/cheap tubes work well with the Elise and how long they last?

The best sounding tubes that I’ve used so far are the stock tubes. Tube amps always work well with Sennheiser headphones, personally I haven’t heard any headphones that work better with tube amps than the Sennheisers, the HD 800s should sound awesome with the Elise

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #13,386 of 13,846
Thanks and:

I dont eant to invest a ****load into tubes, so I wonder if stock/cheap tubes work well with the Elise and how long they last?
Generally I prefer fast and clear bass, would the Elise be a good choice for that or should I rather get a SS amp?

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #13,387 of 13,846
@zakazak , Going through the notes on my former Elise, I recommend hands-down either RCA 12AV7 (or 12AU7, 12AX7) or Tungsram E80CC as drivers, if you're looking for great bass definition with standard class power tubes. Both came on top of my list with many powers are hard to beat for what you're looking for, and come fairly cheap. They need adapters (12AV7 to 6SN7) but they both use the same one for only about $9 each and it opens up many tube rolling options with similar tubes. Here was my review and a link for the adapter.

However you may need slightly darker driver tubes to make up for the inherent bass-lean signature of the HD-800's and to a lesser degree with the HD-600's, such as Ken-Rad 6N7 metal tubes - these also need adapters but are cheap and require long burn-in.

Regardless of your external climate, the most important thing that causes the amp to heat up is the current draw of the tubes you're using. Stock tubes take close to the upper aH threshold causing the transfo. to heat up quickly, whereas many of the 'aftermarket' tubes we found such as above mentioned miniature or 6FQ7 and EL32 driver tubes, and power tubes such as EL11 / EL12 take a small faction of the max current allowing it to run much cooler in which case even a hot tropical climate shouldn't faze the amp. Tube life is generally 1,000's of hours even for tubes that haven't been used in 70 years so as long as the internal construction is good you should be set.

RE balanced - over the years I've learned first had the performance has all to do with the specs / implementation of the amp rather than the connection type. A top-tier SE (unbalanced) amp can sound way better than a modest balanced amp, and a well implemented balanced amp can sound better than a low tier SE amp, so no you're really not missing out on anything that way.

Awesome past reads can be had covering all your mentioned concerns on previous pages.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #13,389 of 13,846
Bit of a sad day for me. I'm going to be working abroad for a while and the Elise is too heavy to take with me. Still, I bet it'll sound even better on my trips back home.

I feel for you tjw. But you bet she'll greet you back with a glorious sound lol! :ksc75smile:...especially if you manage to bag a quartet of Mullard EL38s!!! :wink:

And by the way, folks...IMPORTANT NOTICE... I've discovered that Billington Export here in the UK seem to have some NOS and used EL38s at very good prices...more info and link over at the Euforia thread...

Hope you still enjoy your time abroad though, tjw....CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #13,391 of 13,846
Is elise a pure otl? One of my friends says it is not....

Hi lv. It's a good while since this particular Elise thread saw any action lol...late-lamented Phil's 'Impressions' thread became the 'go-to' one most of the time. So, well-found!! :beyersmile:

Not a 'pure' OTL?...please let us know precisely why your friend thinks this is so. Will be very interesting! :L3000:

ps. Shall pose this conundrum on said other thread...and the Euforia thread, that's often visited by Elise owners (although Euforia has various upgrades, the basic topology should be the same)...hope you don't mind.

Jun 2, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #13,392 of 13,846
Hi guys,
can somebody please compare Feliks Elise with Shiit Valhala 2? I have Beyerdynamic T1.1.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #13,393 of 13,846
Hello,i'am a T1.1 owner and HD800.The amplifiers they own are Burson Conductor V2+ and Woo Audio Wa6.The v2+ Conductor is very good and along whith the HD800 it is excelent for jazz and classics.the problem is that i want to listen to the T1 vocal and acoustic guitar and at the same time to "sweeten" them with lamps,but Wa6 does not have enought power for T1.
So,Felix Elise is a good pair for T1?
And what are the tube that Elise comes in (1 matched pair of driver tubes PsVane 6SN7 Hi-Fi and 1 matched pair of power tubes 6N13S -NOS) ,match T1 or do i have to invest in other tubes?
My setup:

https://i.imgur.com/aYI49PN.jpg

Jul 28, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #13,395 of 13,846
Hello,i'am a T1.1 owner and HD800.The amplifiers they own are Burson Conductor V2+ and Woo Audio Wa6.The v2+ Conductor is very good and along whith the HD800 it is excelent for jazz and classics.the problem is that i want to listen to the T1 vocal and acoustic guitar and at the same time to "sweeten" them with lamps,but Wa6 does not have enought power for T1.
So,Felix Elise is a good pair for T1?
And what are the tube that Elise comes in (1 matched pair of driver tubes PsVane 6SN7 Hi-Fi and 1 matched pair of power tubes 6N13S -NOS) ,match T1 or do i have to invest in other tubes?
My setup:

https://i.imgur.com/aYI49PN.jpg

Hi filip s.

As @Acapella11 said, Elise and T1 perform together extremely well. I personally always even preferred the T1's (v1) presentation over the wonderful HD800 in F-A's amps...but helped no doubt by the pure silver replacement hp cable I made!

The stock tubes are good, but other (older) tubes will indeed give improved performance. I now have the Euforia, with its own thread, but there's a good bunch of guys on the now more active Elise thread who will probably give you their own input : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-elise-impressions-thread-–-a-new-start-please-read-first-post-for-summary.813488/page-742#post-15077524

Plus, if you can spare the time to scan some of the (many!) pages, you should be able to get a better idea about different tubes used...CJ

ps. Nice setup!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back